The Salt Line by Holly Goddard Jones

The Salt Line (2017)

by Holly Goddard Jones

That was a really great dystopian novel. I think it is different and unique.
While most dystopias mostly tell the story of the world, of the government, of what happened on the world, this book concentrates more on the people.
The POV switched between the characters and I got to know them very well. They were really well developed. They all had their reasons which were well explained. They were realistic and understandable. I could feel with them and all their actions were understandable and human.
Also the plot was well developed. It was fast, it had many twists and turns. I couldn’t guess what was happening next. And it was well explained throughout the book. I never thought I missed or skipped something. ( )
  jinxmoon | Mar 22, 2019 |
It was alright, not great, but it passed the time. ( )
  wifilibrarian | Dec 18, 2018 |
This dystopian novel is about a world where a community of people in the United States live for protection behind a wall with a border that was created by a salt line. The world outside that wall and line is inhabited by disease-carrying ticks. Venturing outside the line could mean a bite that might be deadly and so most people do not venture beyond the borders on their own. But for those who have the money and want an adventure, there are expeditions which are organized specifically so the participants can take a guided experience in the area outside their Zone.

The group on one of these expeditions becomes the focus of this book. Their trip turns into much more than they had expected. The danger is not only because of the deadly ticks but also because the members of the group become involved in a plot against their government and they become hostages in a community that exists outside the wall. The adventurers soon learn what they must do to protect themselves and the city they have left behind.l

The plot is rather inventive and there are a few surprise developments as the story progresses that will pique a reader's interest and hold it hostage all the way to the concluding pages. ( )
  Rdglady | Nov 20, 2018 |
In a realistic future, a tick plague has divided the US into zones. However, rich adventurers can choose to participate in out-of-zone excursions. However, this excursion goes terribly wrong on many levels.
This book was a nice balance of action, character development, and exploration of the human condition including our need to balance freedom and safety. ( )
  4leschats | Oct 22, 2018 |
Not sure how I feel about this book because I abandoned it with only 30 pages left to read and I just finished off those 30 pages now and thoroughly enjoyed them so WHY did I stop reading the book? Did I misplace it? I guess that’s possible.
The Salt Line is a post apocalyptic story of rich elites who lives within the confines of a wall but choose to venture beyond the wall and the salt line to “brave” the wilderness and experience the wild frontier. Beyond the salt line are miner ticks which will bury into your skin and hatch their babies who will rip you apart as they are born. As terrifying as they are, the story is really more about the characters who venture into the wilderness; Jesse and Edie, Marta, Wes and Violet who joins them later. It’s a story of survival but it’s more than that. An interesting read. ( )
  JRlibrary | Aug 4, 2018 |
For Selby and Raina
The burn was the first rite of passage.

"In an unspecified future, the United States' borders have receded behind a salt line--a ring of scorched earth that protects its citizens from deadly disease-carrying ticks. Those within the zone live safe, if limited, lives in a society controlled by a common fear. Few have any reason to venture out of zone, except for the adrenaline junkies who pay a fortune to tour what's left of nature. Those among the latest expedition include a popstar and his girlfriend, Edie; the tech giant Wes; and Marta, a seemingly simple housewife. Once out of zone, the group find themselves at the mercy of deadly ticks--and at the center of a murderous plot"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,500,338 books! | Top bar: Always visible