When I Am Through with You by Stephanie…

When I Am Through with You (2017)

by Stephanie Kuehn

"A simple mountain hike in northern California turns deadly for a group of high school students, one of whom has killed before"--

Oh, my goodness, this book was dark and disturbing, but I never liked it even though I did manage to get to the end . . . just! The characters were all troubled and messed up which made it impossible to like any of them. The teacher, Mr Howe, was too clueless to even be believable. As if, in this day and age, a teacher would take a group of students on a like leaving the others to catch up on their own. There there was the sex between the students. I don't think so! Imagine the law suits in girls ended up pregnant. And he didn't notice the booze and drugs some students were using!!!???? I felt insulted the way the author portrayed this teacher.

From the start, the reader knows Ben is in jail for murdering his girlfriend, Rose, but we only find out why later in the book and the reason, to say the least, is underwhelming. Rose was annoying from the start. She was manipulative and a drama queen.

I really haven't got anything positive to say about "When I Am Through with You". The plot dragged, the characters were obnoxious and the writing messy. Not for me! ( )
  HeatherLINC | Nov 24, 2019 |
Ben Gibson is a quiet, troubled high-schooler who is pursued by the beautiful, headstrong Rose. Their relationship develops into something like love but Ben has many secrets. Why does he take care of his mother --at times, even beyond her wishes? What happened to his step-father that fateful night he turned up dead? Are Ben's migraines just an after-effect of a long ago car crash or symptomatic of something more? Rose, too, has many layers and her feelings are not always what they seem. With this relationship as it is, the two join a weekend orienteering outing in the mountains. The school club encounters suspicious strangers, endures a freakish snow storm, and the teens are forced to form weird alliances. In sum: trouble -- big trouble -- ensues. This is Ben's story all the way -- whether or not we believe him and whether or not we like him, we will not soon forget him.

This reader enjoyed the subtly-hewned relationships, the plot twists, the building suspense... in the end, thought, I found it hard to care about any of them, least of all, Ben, our protagonist. If he's not likable, neither is his story. In all, a dark, unsettling book where there are few good guys. ( )
  mjspear | Nov 11, 2018 |
1.5 Stars
"Tragedy is infinitely more interesting than bliss. That's the allure of self-destruction. Or so I've found."
Oh, this book. I actually started out really liking it. I loved the mystery and I wanted a great thriller to read. Unfortunately, this book completely fell apart at the climax of the story and my interest nosedived. We follow Ben Gibson as he narrates what happened on a disastrous school trip that lead to death, pain, and loss.

Things I Liked
I really loved the short chapters it made it incredible easy to read, even when my interest in the story began to wane.

It was really easy to latch on Ben as a characters. It was easy to follow his POV in the story, and his emotions and uncertainty with everything that was happening.

Things I Didn't Like
I didn't like Rose at all. I thought she was entitled, manipulative, and not really a good girlfriend. (Ben wasn't that great of a boyfriend either, though)

The climax of the story shows the students making the stupidest decision possible. From that point on, I didn't care if they died, or got hurt, because they were so incredibly stupid. I lost interest in the story, and I honestly only finished it because it was easy to read.

I really wanted to like this, and while it has a solid start, the characters completely ruined the story for me. I'm a character driven reader, so if you like plot or action more you still might like this. And honestly, there wasn't much of a thriller, we know exactly what happened and are only learning the why - and like I said, the characters were largely idiots, so I didn't care. An unfortunate miss for me.

I received a copy of the book from Penguin's First to Read Program in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  LifeofaLiteraryNerd | Apr 27, 2018 |
Ben and Rose have been an item throughout high school, ever since she announced that she was his girlfriend. So the big question is why...why did Ben kill Rose. From his jail cell, Ben writes out the story of their high school camping trip, and how half of them did not make it back alive.

This was a well written and engaging novel. I was captivated by the characters and how they interacted with one another. The end, after Rose was killed and Ben was in jail, wasn't what I wanted or needed from the story, leaving the whole thing feeling a bit unsettle. However, sometimes that's how books end. Overall, a three out of five stars. ( )
  JanaRose1 | Apr 9, 2018 |
2.5*

This book has all of the makings of a great psychological thriller/survival story - a murder/mystery, suspect characters, and characters stranded in a desolate location. I really should have loved this book but I just didn't.

Although the chapters are really short and the book is essentially a quick-read, the plot is slow paced and the book drags on until you get to about the 50% mark. On top of that, there isn't one likable character in this story. Our MC Ben who is supposedly so in love with his girlfriend that he can't imagine his life without her (view spoiler) The rest of the characters are self-absorbed and make one bad decision after the next leading up to the totally predictable and anti-climatic climax.

The book does pick up in the second half with a few twists that I didn't predict but it was enough to reel me back into this story. ( )
  DMPrice | Dec 29, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,596,518 books! | Top bar: Always visible