The 57 Bus: A True Story of Two Teenagers…

The 57 Bus: A True Story of Two Teenagers and the Crime That Changed Their… (original 2017; edition 2017)

by Dashka Slater (Author)

3201952,407 (4.34)4
Member:b.irons
Title:The 57 Bus: A True Story of Two Teenagers and the Crime That Changed Their Lives
Authors:Dashka Slater (Author)
Info:Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (2017), 320 pages

The 57 Bus by Dashka Slater (2017)

Gripping and impartial view of both sides of a crime. Full of interesting facts that might change what people think is the "right" way to view a variety of topics. ( )
  kimpiddington | Mar 3, 2019 |
This book is about two people - Sasha, an agender young person who lives outside of Oakland California, attends a private school, has an intact, loving family and lots of friends. The other is Richard - a studend that attends Oakland High School, has friends but most of them are in trouble or in jail. He does have a loving mother but she struggles to keep him out of trouble.

Despite their different schools, both kids take the same public bus - the 57 Bus - to and from school each day. They don't know each other - haven't ever even met. But one day, Richard - coaked by his friends - decides to play a practical joke and lights Sasha's skirt on fire. What results is Sasha spending weeks in the hospital recovering from severe burns, and Richard arrested for the crime.

The book goes back and forth between the two kids - both the same age - and talks about their upbringing, their problems, and what lead them to that fateful day.

This was an okay book. I was interested in it because it was a true story. The book does a good job telling the back story of the two kids, and covering the trial and what happens to both kids once the trial is over. IT does go a little too indepth into subject matter realted to gender identity. And while I did learn quite a bit, I don't think it really was needed to tell the story in this case. I think giving us more character development would have been more beneficial.

I think this book is worth a read. It was a really fast read - a lot of the chapters are only a few pages long, so it moves along quickly. The story happened only a few years ago, and you can actually look up the news stories from the incident and see pictures of the kids online. The subject of gender identity is a hot button in today's society. ( )
  JenMat | Jan 10, 2019 |
Fascinating nonfiction read. I appreciate how it blends a powerful story with background and vocabulary for readers less familiar/comfortable with the topic. ( )
  gpratt | Dec 29, 2018 |
An amazing, eye opening, historical account for everyone to read. Things happen to good kids. We are a product of our environment, either we join it or we surpass it. Be Careful. ( )
  Starla_Aurora | Oct 29, 2018 |
57 Bus is nonfiction that tells the true story of an agender teen, Sasha, who rode the 57 bus home every day. One day, on that bus, three teen boys are being obnoxious jerks and Richard takes a lighter to Sasha’s skirts and seems surprised when it goes up in flames. The remainder of the story discusses Sasha’s recovery and the court case surrounding Richard. It’s a remarkable story about identity, choices, consequences and, in the end, forgiveness. Everyone needs to read this bbo ( )
  lindamamak | Jul 17, 2018 |

Dashka Slaterprimary authorall editionscalculated
Diebel, AnnDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hillman, Robert AdrianCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
PhiangumaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yee, Henry SeneCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Cliff
By four-thirty in the afternoon, the first mad rush of passengers has come and gone.
Originally an article for the The New York Times Magazine

This riveting nonfiction book for teens about race, class, gender, crime, and punishment tells the true story of a teen who was set on fire by another teen while riding a bus in Oakland, California.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,764,943 books! | Top bar: Always visible