Spandex and the City by Jenny T. Colgan

Spandex and the City

by Jenny T. Colgan

After reading charming Colgan books about a bakery and a book bus did a book about a superhero romance feel a bit different. Well, quite a lot different. But, I was curious. I mean check out this quote from the book:

‘Could you please . . . possibly . . . possibly forget we ever met?’
I thought of how much I wanted to be a journalist. I thought of what a gigantic scoop this was. I noticed how downcast and miserable he looked.
‘You know,’ I said. ‘None of the pictures on the internet of the people who are supposed to be you are actually you.’
‘I know,’ he said.
‘I mean, Ultimate Man . . . you sound like a bra.’
‘I know,’ he said. ‘All the good names were taken.’

Yeah, despite no puffins in this book did I find it charming. Holly is such a likable character and being saved by Ultimate Man sounds like a dream come true, unless that means flashing the whole world your knickers. And, not even your good knickers. And, then there is the villain, that keep showing up wherever she goes...

Spandex and the City is an easy going book with a villain that actually has a point and a different kind of love story. I mean it's not easy dating a superhero that is pretty much indestructible. Holly gets to know the backside of fame (pun intended) and it's a perfect summer book to read on the beach, I enjoyed the book a lot!

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
So, written from the point of view of a superheroes girlfriend this is a light frothy story that entertained me a lot, Holly Phillips wasn't looking for romance with Ultimate Man but it happened and now she has to cope with his enemies as well.

Dedicated to fellow Mary Sues this is an entertaining story and I enjoyed myself, even if he wasn't well described. Still it pokes gentle, good-natured fun at a lot of the superhero tropes. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Jul 10, 2017 |
Fun, light hearted romantic comic novel, exploring life from the perspective of the hero's girlfriend. What's it like to be duped by the bad guy (and is he really bad?) Can a hero have a night off to stay in and watch a box set? Nice idea, but some of the context seemed a bit vague, but fortunately in this kind of froth it's over before you even quite worked out the holes (!)
A netgalley preview. ( )
  charl08 | May 8, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,081,026 books! | Top bar: Always visible