Artemis by Andy Weir

Artemis

by Andy Weir

Recently added byEBassett, jms429, Lahkesis, vballgirl819, Guy.Vils, tfeldk, Sweet_Serenity, joanne79, private library
    The Rook by Daniel O'Malley (bethd13)
    bethd13: Both books are fast paced and lots of snarky humor. Love the intelligent, strong, female characters!

English (153)  Hungarian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (155)
Andy Weir’s writing exemplifies the archetype of the ‘nerd’ in all the good ways, and in ‘Artemis’, some of the not so good ways. ‘Artemis’ has all that great stuff ‘the Martian’ had- extensive research to make the science absolutely plausible, a casual tone that both assumes the reader is just as smart as the writer, but also fills the reader in (who really isn’t as smart as the writer), fast paced action, and an engaging, well thought out story arch. The downside, unfortunately, the writing of the female protagonist. Sadly, she is written in a way that recalls the movie ‘Weird Science’, in which nerdy teenaged-boys try to invent the woman of their dreams. The book was thoroughly enjoyable if you are a reader who values an exciting, plausible, future depiction, but not if you also require mature characters. My bet is on a movie in the near future, regardless. ( )
  pdill8 | Mar 12, 2019 |
After reading Artemis the uncharitable way to view The Martian is as a stroke of lightning, a lucky moment. I'm not willing to go that far - I think The Martian was just substantially further within the author's comfort zone. It was a story largely told in the first person by a character who was white, male, and alone. These are they areas where Artemis doesn't do so well - it's a story with a minority woman protagonist set in an environment with a lot of interpersonal action and communication. The main character gives off a serious 'girl with only guy friends' vibe and yes, I know that those women really exist... but when that character is written by a male author it comes across as wading in the kiddy section of the pool.

If we swapped the genitals on the main character, would anything really change? Unfortunately, only one thing - it would make all the weird digressions into testing new condom models and odd sexual asides seem out of place instead of just cringingly uncomfortable. Other odd injections by the author include several mentions of how unions are bad and a discussion of how you don't need age of consent laws in space.

At least it's not Ready Player One. ( )
  sarcher | Mar 10, 2019 |
This was...okay. I think I'll always have quibbles with the way the author writes women, and there were a few not good, manipulative-dudes-masquerading-as-nerdy-and-hapless bits. Otherwise, it was enough to keep me mostly entertained during a flight and that's both the best and worst I can say about it. ( )
  mediumofballpoint | Mar 4, 2019 |
The book tells the story of Jasmine or jazz if you will. It begins excellently, every chapter reveals another piece about his past and what led to his sad state today. There are not too many repetitions in time and everything told in chronological order that doesn't make it difficult for the reader. There are great characters throughout the plot unfolding. I am less attached to the nature of the crappy dizziness of jazz, but I am sure that many will see it as their adolescent figure or love its imperfections and perfection.

Although I have given the book five stars, I have to say that I had pieces here and there that I had to skip because of boredom. In any case, this is an excellent book, full of suspense and mystery and narrative twisting that the reader will not expect. ( )
  Bertchuba | Feb 27, 2019 |
The first 40% of the this book was pretty boring with a main character who is difficult to like. Then it really takes off and becomes a can't put it down book. Good ending, but not too many surprises in this one. ( )
  LydiaGranda | Feb 15, 2019 |

Andy Weirprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dawson, RosarioNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lindroth Inc., DavidMapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Staehle, WillCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Micheal Collins, Jack Swigert, Stu Roosa, Al Worden, Ken Mattingley and Ron Evans. Because these guys don't get nearly enough credit.
I bounded over the gray, dusty terrain toward the huge dome of Conrad Bubble.

Publisher Annotation: Jazz Bashara is a criminal. Well, sort of. Life on Artemis, the first and only city on the moon, is tough if you're not a rich tourist or an eccentric billionaire. So smuggling in the occasional harmless bit of contraband barely counts, right? Not when you've got debts to pay and your job as a porter barely covers the rent. Everything changes when Jazz sees the chance to commit the perfect crime, with a reward too lucrative to turn down. But pulling off the impossible is just the start of her problems, as she learns that she's stepped square into a conspiracy for control of Artemis itself?and that now, her only chance at survival lies in a gambit even riskier than the first.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,399,002 books! | Top bar: Always visible