dismiss

Artemis by Andy Weir

Artemis

by Andy Weir

2,8081933,428 (3.55)141
Jazz Bashara is a criminal. Well, sort of. Life on Artemis, the first and only city on the moon, is tough if you're not a rich tourist or an eccentric billionaire. So smuggling in the occasional harmless bit of contraband barely counts, right? Not when you've got debts to pay and your job as a porter barely covers the rent. Everything changes when Jazz sees the chance to commit the perfect crime, with a reward too lucrative to turn down. But pulling off the impossible is just the start of her problems, as she learns that she's stepped square into a conspiracy for control of Artemis itself—and that now, her only chance at survival lies in a gambit even riskier than the first.… (more)
    The Rook by Daniel O'Malley (bethd13)
    bethd13: Both books are fast paced and lots of snarky humor. Love the intelligent, strong, female characters!

English (187)  Hungarian (1)  Catalan (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (191)
While there are some pretty big flaws (such as Jazz being able to just learn advanced chemistry in an afternoon, weird sex jokes in random places, and a r/menwritingwomen quality sprinkled throughout) I cannot lie; I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The tech is interesting and accessible, the storyline is fast-paced and exciting, and the city itself is fascinating. It could be because I've been reading a lot of heavy and dry non-fiction and young adult urban fantasy for work lately, but Artemis has been engaging and exciting for me and I finished it in three sessions. It feels like good honest sci-fi fun. ( )
  carlypancakes | May 28, 2020 |
Artemis

First Thoughts:

Andy Weir, fresh off his big win of a novel, The Martian, tells a what-if story – what if we landed on the moon and created a city of giant bubbles, each named after pioneer astronauts. Would we have the same problems any small town USA would have, including gangsters, cover-ups and murder?

You bet!

Story & Plot:

I like how the story is told in first person narrative. Jasmine Bashara (Jazz) lives 15 floors underground in the Conrad Bubble and starts with her failing her EVA Guild exam. An EVA (extra-vehicular activity) exam is botched when Jazz uses a used space suit and almost dies. “The Moon is an old bitch” she exclaims.

Jazz is tough. Jazz smuggles to offset her poor living. She’s lived on the moon since she was six. She has a strained relationship with her dad, a welder, and I would call this story more a coming of age tale more than anything.

Jazz makes a deal with a billionaire devil to mess with some rock harvesters and creates major problems, including creating problems for a Brazilian crime syndicate which would love to have Jazz put into space without a suit.

The story centers on corruption, a murder mystery and how she survives on the moon and barely makes it to the end of the novel with her life. The story is dragging and does gets bloated with science terminology and what happens in certan chemical reactions, etc., that would interest a physics major more than the average young adult novel reader.

Final Thoughts:

Besides all that, the story really picks up and is a page turner when Jazz makes the biggest heist of her life and nearly dies trying to save Artemis and finds the Moon is not such a harsh mistress.

Recommended.

James_Mourgos | May 19, 2020 |
Unfortunately, not as gripping or funny as The Martian. While I enjoyed the immersion and verisimilitude of the moon city, Weir is a bit clueless about writing women, and he's developed the Neal Stephenson syndrome of over-explaining the science and worshipping rich tech guys. ( )
  dreamweaversunited | Apr 28, 2020 |
Segunda novela de Andy Weir tras el megapelotazo que fue El Marciano. El mismo autor, en el prólogo, cuenta cómo le atenazaba el miedo de no escribir una novela tan buena como la primera. George R. R. Martin, cuando se lo contó, le dijo que a él le seguía pasando con la novela nº 28. Así que eso. Que el autor cree que esta novela no es tan buena como la anterior. Y probablemente tiene razón. La historia sorprende menos que la del marciano. En la luna hay una ciudad que se llama Artemis (Artemisa) y Jazz, portagonista de la historia, sobrevive en ella a base de complementar su sueldo de transportista con algo de contrabando de baja intensidad. Pero claro. Empiezan a pasar cosas. Cosas que requieren que se hagan otras cosas, que a su vez precipitan todo hacia un montón más de cosas.
El humor del autor, que tanto me gustó en la primera novela, aparece aquí algo más disuimulado, como si se hubiera contenido. Sigue abundando, por supuesto, pero ya no es tan protagonista como el megachou que monta Mark Watney en el marciano. Algunos ejemplos:
If my neighborhood were wine, connoisseurs would describe it as “shitty, with overtones of failure and poor life decisions.”
The room lights faded and a projection screen came to life on the far wall.
-“Are you a supervillain or something?” -I gestured to the screen.- “I mean, come on.”
-“Like it? I just had it installed.”
[Sobre el laboratorio de la ESA] Four hallways led off at odd angles. Some of the doors couldn’t be opened if others were open. The ergonomic abortion was the result of seventeen governments designing a laboratory by committee.
[...]workshop of Dad’s colleague Zsóka Stróbl, who was apparently named during a severe vowel famine.
Several families had obnoxious kids bouncing off the walls. In this case, “bouncing off the walls” is not just a figure of speech. The overstimulated kids were literally bouncing off the walls. Lunar gravity is the worst thing to ever happen to parents.
I’d have to blow the remaining two at the same time. Please don’t quote that last sentence out of context.
Oh. I stopped talking. This wasn’t a normal job. Tomorrow, his daughter’s life would rely on the quality of these welds. It slowly dawned on me that, to him, this was the most critical project he’d ever done. He would accept nothing short of his absolute best. And if that meant taking all day, so be it. Not everybody has the chance to quantify how much their father loves them. But I did. The job should have taken forty-five minutes, but Dad spent three and a half hours on it. My father loves me 366 percent more than he loves anything else. Good to know.

También mezcla ciencia con humor:
When she was Kenya’s minister of finance, she created the country’s entire space industry from scratch. Kenya had one—and only one—natural resource to offer space companies: the equator. Spacecraft launched from the equator could take full advantage of Earth’s rotation to save fuel. But Ngugi realized they could offer something more: policy. Western nations drowned commercial space companies in red tape. Ngugi said, “Fuck that. How about we don’t?” I’m paraphrasing here.

La historia es bastante lineal, hay pocos giros de trama y la diversión está más en el cómo que en el qué.
Otra cosa que me ha encantado es que de nuevo el autor empieza a explicar la ciencia siempre que puede, en plan muy didáctico. Me gusta cómo lo hace.
Earth’s air is 20 percent oxygen. The rest is stuff human bodies don’t need like nitrogen and argon. So Artemis’s air is pure oxygen at 20 percent Earth’s air pressure. That gives us the right amount of oxygen while minimizing pressure on the hulls. It’s not a new concept—it goes back to the Apollo days. Thing is, the lower the pressure, the lower the boiling point of water. Water boils at 61 degrees Celsius here, so that’s as hot as tea or coffee can be. Apparently it’s disgustingly cold to people who aren’t used to it.
Me he divertido bastante y aunque no he quedado impresionado, definitivamente recomiendo esta novela si la primera del autor nos gustó.
Como fallo (¿fallo?), el autor dice que como los servidores de Google están en la Tierra, cualquier pregunta a Google tarda al menos cuatro segundos en ser respondida. El ping desde el Mar de la Tranquilidad hasta la Tierra es de 2*384000/c= 2.5 segundos (era lo que tardaban las respuestas entre la Tierra y la misión Apolo XI), por lo que no sé de dónde se ha sacado el autor los 4 segundos. Tal vez en algún momento equivocó millas con kilómetros, como suelen hacer estos decreídos del sistema métrico, y para 384.000 millas sí que me salen 4 segundos en un viaje de ida y vuelta. Pero en fin. Entretenido y recomendable. ( )
  Remocpi | Apr 22, 2020 |
A futuristic science fiction story about a settlement on the moon following a young woman's criminal enterprise getting her involved in a life threatening situation. The premise of the book has promise and Andy Weir introduces technical information on how the protagonist solves problems, similar to The Martian but not to the great extent. The author made an interesting world on the moon, that is believable. The writing isn't great though. The main character is over the top and has a lot of attempted comic moments that fell flat to me. The storyline has moments of interest, but then loses it. I still enjoyed the book though and glad that I was able to read it. ( )
  renbedell | Apr 14, 2020 |

Lindroth, DavidCartographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Madejski, RadosławTłUmaczenie.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pietermann, GabrielleSprechersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Staehle, WillCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Micheal Collins, Jack Swigert, Stu Roosa, Al Worden, Ken Mattingley and Ron Evans. Because these guys don't get nearly enough credit.
I bounded over the gray, dusty terrain toward the huge dome of Conrad Bubble.

Jazz is a small time criminal, subsidising work as a porter on the moon with smuggling a little contraband. But it’s never enough.

When she’s offered the chance to get rich quick she jumps at it. But planning the perfect crime in 1/6th gravity was never going to be easy, especially as there is a conspiracy at the heart of Artemis.

At first it was about the money, then it was about control. Now it’s about survival…

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,527,942 books! | Top bar: Always visible