Artemis: A Novel by Andy Weir

Artemis: A Novel (edition 2017)

by Andy Weir (Author)

Jazz Bashara is a criminal. Well, sort of. Life on Artemis, the first and only city on the moon, is tough if you're not a rich tourist or an eccentric billionaire. So smuggling in the occasional harmless bit of contraband barely counts, right? Not when you've got debts to pay and your job as a porter barely covers the rent. Everything changes when Jazz sees the chance to commit the perfect crime, with a reward too lucrative to turn down. But pulling off the impossible is just the start of her problems, as she learns that she's stepped square into a conspiracy for control of Artemis itself—and that now, her only chance at survival lies in a gambit even riskier than the first.… (more)
Member:KPPSlibrary
Title:Artemis: A Novel
Authors:Andy Weir (Author)
Info:Crown (2017), Edition: F First Edition, 320 pages

Artemis by Andy Weir

The Rook by Daniel O'Malley (bethd13)
    bethd13: Both books are fast paced and lots of snarky humor. Love the intelligent, strong, female characters!

English (176)  Hungarian (1)  Catalan (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (180)
Set sometime in the future, on a moon colony, this is a crime caper. Jazz is a young woman with a past she isn't exactly running from, but it keeps beating her up. It doesn't help that she continues to make bad choices. Think Hans Solo in female form. She takes on a job to sabotage a company because the payload is too good to pass up.

On the whole, I enjoyed it. A fast-paced caper. I was thinking about Jazz and why I didn't care for her. I wonder if I would have felt differently if she was a man? Would I have been more forgiving of her faults? In the last bit of the book we are supposed to see her in a different light, but I still felt no affection or admiration for her. So, other characters I like in spite of their flaws? Hans Solo? He was selfish, self-absorbed, a thief, and even a bit whiny. He comes across to me as more likable than Jazz. Why? Perhaps because Chewbacca liked him? Anyway, this was a fun read. For those of you who mind, there was foul-language and sex-talk. ( )
  MrsLee | Feb 17, 2020 |
Trashy space pulp. Enjoyable, if a little too winky to the reader whenever he's feeling especially proud of his research. I've heard him interviewed as he explains his writing process as a system to solve plot issues in a consistent way — why is there a city on the moon — and this comes through on the page too. That said, I blasted through it in two sittings and enjoyed all of the characters, so it can't be bad.
  thenumeraltwo | Feb 11, 2020 |
3.25/5 ( )
  Kausik_Lakkaraju | Jan 20, 2020 |
I really enjoyed this, like the Martian it was humorous with a gripping plot.
It didn’t quite have me as enthralled as the Martian did, nevertheless it was really good ( )
  karenshann | Dec 31, 2019 |
Jasmine has lived on the moon since she was 6 years old. She's hustlin' to make a living when a big job offers her enough to solve all her financial problems. When things don't go as planned, Jasmine is on the run fro a killer and the law. ( )
  sunnydrk | Dec 30, 2019 |

Lindroth, DavidCartographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Madejski, RadosławTłUmaczenie.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pietermann, GabrielleSprechersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Staehle, WillCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Micheal Collins, Jack Swigert, Stu Roosa, Al Worden, Ken Mattingley and Ron Evans. Because these guys don't get nearly enough credit.
I bounded over the gray, dusty terrain toward the huge dome of Conrad Bubble.

Jazz is a small time criminal, subsidising work as a porter on the moon with smuggling a little contraband. But it’s never enough.

When she’s offered the chance to get rich quick she jumps at it. But planning the perfect crime in 1/6th gravity was never going to be easy, especially as there is a conspiracy at the heart of Artemis.

At first it was about the money, then it was about control. Now it’s about survival…

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,343,495 books! | Top bar: Always visible