The Lords of Salem by Rob Zombie

The Lords of Salem

by Rob Zombie, B.K. Evenson (Author)

Heidi Hawthorne, a FM radio DJ and recovering drug addict, is struggling with her newfound sobriety and creeping depression when she receives a myseriously shaped wooden box branded with a strange symbol. Inside the box is a promotional record for a band that identifies themselves only as The Lords. She decides to play it on her show as a joke, but when she does horrible things begin to happen. The strange music unleashes something evil in the town.… (more)

English (4)  Finnish (1)  All languages (5)
I had high hopes for this novel. Had I known (at the time of purchase) this book was an adaptation from his screenplay I think it would've stayed on the shelf and I would've opted to watch the movie instead. http://www.nicoleolea.com/the-lords-of-salem-a-novel-book-review/ ( )
  nicoleolea | Jun 12, 2019 |
I will freely admit that I am not a Zombie fan. As a horror fan, I had high expectations for his films, but most (with the exception of his remake of Halloween) fall flat and dull for me. I watched Lords of Salem before having the chance to read the novel and being highly disappointed in the film, I fell back on my mantra of "The book is better." I was able to find a copy at my local library and read it while giving commentary to my boyfriend. Needless to say, I was no more impressed with the book than I was with the film. It attempted to be deep and awesome while not explaining much of anything. I felt as though it was a witch story mashed together with a demon/supernatural story and while both could easily mix well, somebody somewhere dropped the ball on plot development. ( )
  Wannabe_Librarian | Jan 21, 2016 |
3 Stars
*This is an uncorrected galley I received from NetGalley*
Sobriety hasn’t been easy for radio DJ Heidi Hawthorne, but she manages well enough with the help of her friends and coworkers along with her dog, Steve. When a mysterious band called The Lords sends a gift for her to the station of an even more mysterious record she couldn’t possibly predict what playing it on the air would do to the people of her little town. As evil infects the town and people are brutally murdered the town’s history comes back to thrust her into a gruesome and violent hell.
For about five minutes of my late teens I was a fan of Rob Zombie’s music (more so White Zombie). There’s a lot I like about his movies but a lot I don’t like about them. I thought it would be interesting to read something of his and I must say I liked it more than I was expecting.
The formatting for this about a quarter ways in was horrible, but that is not the author’s fault so I won’t nag. For about 10 pages (ebook pages) things were jumbled and even repeated. There might have even been text missing since once things were back on track I felt like I missed something vital.
My big complaint would be the reader/character relationship. I wasn’t really invested in them at all so I was indifferent to a lot of the events that took place. The other thing would be the vulgarity. I have heard the cliché “sex sells” many times but like in his movies there is a gross factor that for me screams desperate. I have never found that necessary in movies or book of the horror genre.
On the positive side is the pacing. The speed or lulls match the action perfectly. For those who enjoy this genre it is a quick read. The plot is not original but this is a unique spin on an old favorite. The biggest positive for me would be the ending and for obvious reasons I cannot explain why.
Will I watch this movie…yes eventually. Do I recommend this book…yes but read my complaint paragraph about the vulgarity first. ( )
  shayrp76 | Apr 11, 2013 |
The curse spewed by a coven of witches executed in Salem in 1692 comes to fruition in the present day.

A disappointingly uninspired idea for a movie by Rob Zombie. Can't say I am a fan of all his movies, but they at least had some interesting ideas behind them. This one, not so much. There's only so far you can take this one when all you're going for is gory shocks.

This reads as a novelization of his screenplay (or Zombie's treatment of the story) and a poor one at that. The prose is juvenile, seemingly structured for the ADD crowd. I've never read anything else by B.K. Evanson, but this can't be his best work. I imagine that a lot of this are Zombie's words that Evanson did his best to make legible.

I'm not upset about purchasing the book, but it won't be eligible for a reread until I either forget that I've read it or lose a few IQ points. ( )
  srboone | Apr 1, 2013 |

Rob Zombieprimary authorall editionscalculated
Evenson, B.K.Authormain authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,305,169 books! | Top bar: Always visible