Lilac Lane (A Chesapeake Shores Novel) by…

Lilac Lane (A Chesapeake Shores Novel) (edition 2017)

by Sherryl Woods (Author)

At the heart of Lilac Lane is Keira Malone, who raised her three children alone after her first marriage broke apart, and who, after years of guarding her heart, finally finds love again. But that love is short-lived when her fiancé suffers a fatal heart attack. Grieving and unsure of what's next, Keira agrees to move from Dublin to Chesapeake Shores, Maryland, to spend time with her daughter, Moira, and her new granddaughter, Kate, as well as to help her son-in-law, Luke, with his Irish pub, O'Briens Not wanting to live underfoot, she rents a charming cottage on Lilac Lane, replete with views of the ocean and her neighbor's thriving garden--not to mention views of the neighbor himself. The neighbor is none other than Bryan Laramie, the brusque and moody chef at the pub, with whom Keira is constantly butting heads. But things get real when Bryan's long-lost daughter, whom he hasn't seen since she was a baby, shows up out of the blue. As Bryan and Keira each delve into their pasts, reopening wounds, the rest of the town is gearing up for the Fall Festival Irish Stew cook-off, and making no bones about whose side they're on. It's Kitchen Wars meets This is Your Life--a recipe for disaster...or a new take on love?… (more)
Member:scoutmomskf
Title:Lilac Lane (A Chesapeake Shores Novel)
Authors:Sherryl Woods (Author)
Info:MIRA (2017), Edition: Original, 352 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Chesapeake Shores

Lilac Lane (A Chesapeake Shores Novel) by Sherryl Woods

This is a series that I keep coming back to, and no matter how much time has passed, it still feels like I'm coming home. Oh sure, the main players may be different but the township, the community, the camaraderie, and togetherness, are always the same.

Keira Malone and Bryan Laramie are like oil and vinegar; they don't seem to mix but the combination is spectacular! Keira is a visitor from abroad just trying to find her place in this small town for a few months while her daughter keeps an eye on her...not that her daughter would admit (at first) to such intents. She's come to grips with her meddling as well as that of her father, Dillon, but that doesn't mean she has to like it in ALL areas of her life. You see, the reason she "needed" looking after in the first place was because Cupid has been playing some bad tricks on her heart and the latest arrow to take aim fizzled out through no fault of his or her own, but the hurt was just as bad. So no, Keira has no intent of laying low and letting the O'Briens take over her life's direction...but sometimes be need that meddling from those that care for us to find out proper direction again. Even the likes of Bryan can admit to that.

In the end, it was a lovely read that perfectly complements the series. The story's slow development forces the reader to take a step back and enjoy the read page by page as was intended. You'll laugh at the plotting of well intentioned Nell, smile at the O'Briens outlook on life and love, and even be surprised by the unexpected developments that impact not only Bryan's life but Keira's as well. There's so much to love and then some, so if you're a fan of the author already, or a newbie to her work, take a trip down Lilac Lane. You won't be sorry!

**copy received for review ( )
  GRgenius | Sep 15, 2019 |
Terrific book. It has been a long time since my last visit to Chesapeake Shores, but it was effortless to slide right back into it. This is the story of Keira, Moira's mother (The Summer Garden) and Bryan, the chef at Luke O'Brien's pub. Relations between Keira and Moira had been strained for a long time before they mended their relationship in the earlier book. Keira raised her three children on her own when her husband deserted her, leaving Keira somewhat bitter and wary of love. Just when she opened herself up again to the possibility, her fiancé died, leaving Keira grieving and lost. Worried about her mother, Moira stretches the truth with the help of her new O'Brien relatives and convinces Keira to come to Maryland, using baby Kate and the pub as the reasons for the visit. Moira really hopes to convince her mother to stay in Chesapeake Shores.

Bryan is the chef at the pub. He worked in both New York and Baltimore before coming to Chesapeake Shores. While not quite a loner, he mostly keeps to himself. He rules his kitchen, accepting interference only from his boss, Luke, and Nell O'Brien, the family matriarch who taught him the traditional Irish recipes served at the pub. The arrival of feisty and blunt Keira doesn't sit well with him, but he doesn't have much choice in the matter.

I liked both Keira and Bryan and the development of their relationship. In the beginning, it is very adversarial, as Keira takes her job of ensuring authenticity very seriously, but Bryan doesn't take her suggestions well. Things begin to change a little bit when Keira moves into the cottage next door to Bryan's house, and they discover that when they leave their work difference behind they get along very well. There were some terrific scenes of late-night chats over wine, and early mornings spent weeding Bryan's garden. The sparks of antagonism that flew between them begin to change to a different kind of sparks. But both Keira and Bryan have baggage that makes them resistant to those sparks. Keira's risked her heart twice and had it broken, though in different ways. Risking it again seems to be the height of folly, so she works hard to keep that little bit of distance between them. Bryan was married many years before but neglected his wife in his zeal to cement his career. His wife took their baby girl and left him without a word when she reached the end of her patience. Bryan has spent almost twenty years trying to find them. Having failed at marriage once, trying again is the last thing on his mind.

But Keira and Bryan aren't given the chance to fight their feelings for long. The O'Brien family is well-known for their tendency to interfere in the lives of those they care for. Everyone from Nell to Mick, right on down the line can see what is happening, and they all have ideas on how to bring the reluctant duo together. Nell comes up with the bright idea of a cooking competition, with the title of best Irish stew between Keira and Bryan up for grabs. I enjoyed the behind-the-scenes machinations of various O'Briens as they fan the flames of competition. Keira recognizes her growing feelings for Bryan, but her fears hold her back from saying anything. I loved the scene where Bryan finds out the truth and the twist that Keira throws into his declaration. I loved how the competition played out and their big moment at the end was fantastic.

In the midst of all this drama, Bryan receives the shock of his life. His long-lost daughter appears in Chesapeake Shores looking for answers. I loved seeing this side of Bryan as he and Deanna got to know each other. The scene where Deanna finally gets up the courage to face her father had me in tears. I also loved that Keira was there to support him. There are some sweet scenes as Keira helps smooth over the rough spots of their reunion.

As always, I love the secondary appearances of other characters. The bits with Moira and her attempts to balance family and career were realistic and moving. I loved the get-togethers at Sally's as the O'Brien women share their days, and how they embraced Keira as one of their own. I laughed out loud at Mick's antics during the buildup to the competition. Nell was a riot as she involved herself and others in her matchmaking. As Bryan and Keira's boss, Luke had quite the challenge in keeping the peace at the pub. And in the end, the entire town had a part in the romance between Bryan and Keira. It will be interesting to see if there will be further Chesapeake Shores books and who will star in them. I'm leaning toward Deanna, plus the frequent mentions of Keira's estranged sons leaves the door open for them also. ( )
  scoutmomskf | Sep 11, 2019 |
I am usually a big fan of this authors books but I found myself frustrated with the characters interactions with each other. I also had a difficult time getting into this book and almost didn’t finish it. ( )
  fictionalblonde | Apr 10, 2019 |
I always wanted to read Ms. Wood's book and I loved this novel! It was told with such passion that I almost thought the people were REAL! I struggled with Keira as she raised her three children without a husband and a father since her marriage ended, and I jumped for JOY when she FINALLY let her heart open to love again! ( )
  HOTCHA | Mar 29, 2018 |
This is book 14 in Sherryl Woods’ Chesapeake Bay series. I have read and enjoyed all of the books in the series and this book can be read as a stand-alone without confusion but the entire series is so good, I think that you’ll want to start with book 1 – you won’t be disappointed.

The book series is about a town in Maryland that was built by the O’Brien patriarch, Mick. Mick’s main goal in life is to have his 5 children married and in love with the person he picks out of them. Once that is accomplished in the first books of the series, he starts meddling in the lives of other family members and gets help in his meddling from his children and their spouses. In book 14, it’s single mom Kiera who lives in Ireland and raised her three children. Her daughter Miora lives in Chesapeake Shores with her husband Luke O’Brien. Moira feels that her mom has given up on finding happiness and asks her to come to the US to help take care of her granddaughter. Once she arrives, sparks start to fly between Kiera and the cook at the O’Brien pub. Will Moira be able to convince her mother to stay in America and take a chance on happiness or will she rturn to her solitary life in Ireland?

It was great to get back to Chesapeake Shores and the O’Brien family in Lilac Lane. This is a fun series with characters that are very likeable who believe strongly in love and family.

Thanks to the publisher for a copy of this book to read and review. ( )
  susan0316 | Nov 3, 2017 |

Keira Malone raised her three children alone after her first marriage broke apart. She found love again, but when her fiance suffered a fatal heart attack she moved from Dublin to Chesapeake Shores, Maryland. She plans to spend time with her daughter, Moira, and her new granddaughter, Kate, as well as to help her son-in-law, Luke, with his Irish pub, O'Brien's. She rents a cottage on Lilac Lane, but her neighbor is none other than Bryan Laramie, the brusque and moody chef at the pub, with whom Keira is constantly butting heads. When Bryan's long-lost daughter shows up out of the blue, wounds are reopened.--

Sherryl Woods is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,086,550 books! | Top bar: Always visible