Meet Cute: Some People Are Destined to Meet

by Jennifer L. Armentrout (Contributor)

Other authors: Dhonielle Clayton (Contributor), Katie Cotugno (Contributor), Jocelyn Davies (Contributor), Huntley Fitzpatrick (Contributor), Nina LaCour (Contributor)8 more, Emery Lord (Contributor), Katharine McGee (Contributor), Kass Morgan (Contributor), Julie Murphy (Contributor), Meredith Russo (Contributor), Sara Shepard (Contributor), Nicola Yoon (Contributor), Ibi Zoboi (Contributor)

A collection of short stories exploring the moment when a couple meets for the first time--from an African American girl in upstate New York who simultaneously finds a prom dress and a date to a transgender girl who confronts the student blocking her right to use the school restroom.

The stories are adorable, and while there was one that I've got some Thoughts about, it's not enough to demote the whole thing a star. ( )
  FleetSparrow | Jul 10, 2021 |
short stories/love stories from rising YA fic authors, some of which stories happen to be diverse.

some stories were better/more believable than others, but fortunately with short story compilations you can always skip the ones you aren't feeling, and overall this was a nice collection of romantic stories. I appreciated the ethnic and LGBTQ (mainly transwomen and lesbian POVs) diversity included, though I wondered if we could include some differently abled and/or mental health issues next time? Also, as you might expect for romance-y type book, all but one of these stories was written from a female perspective--I think a gay guy would've been appreciated, as long as we're looking at diversity. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
I loved this book of short stories! There was such a mix of genders, sexualities, races, and even time periods, which kept it interesting. Sometimes you need a happy little book to read and this is one of those! ( )
  thereserose5 | Mar 3, 2021 |
This book was all over the place for me, some stories were awesome, super awesome, and some stories were just like, what the heck is this? this is stupid. So that sums up the whole book I think perhaps Click and the train one (I forget what it's called) were my favourite, and perhaps the ring one too .. the rest I could have done without. ( )
  ashezbookz | Oct 20, 2020 |
Your mileage may vary with this collection of short stories, for me though, I just found only a few of the stories, 5 star worthy. The rest were all over the place. I think the biggest issue is having a collection of short stories by 14 different authors definitely showed who can craft a well thought out short story and those who cannot.

According to Urban dictionary:
meet-cute
"Scenario in which two individuals are brought together in some unlikely, zany, destined-to-fall-in-love-and-be-together-forever sort of way (the more unusual, the better)."

"Siege Etiquette" by Katie Cotungo (2 stars)-No sorry. The first story in this collection did not start off strong at all. And I would argue barely met the definition of a meet cute. You had the two teens in this story one of which is named Wolf. At that point I was worried I had stumbled into some sparkly vampire nonsense, but nope. We just read how the main character in this story (Hailey) is part of the super popular crowd or used to be until something happened. It takes a long time (for a short story) for the reveal to happen. That said, Hailey and Wolf already knew each other since they had been in elementary school with each other. I didn't really even get the sense that she had plans to talk to him again after they finally got out of their "siege" situation.

"Print Shop" by Nina LaCour (3 stars)-This does meet the definition of a meet cute to me. We have the main character (Evie) who goes to work in a print shop because of reasons. There's a mention of her breaking up with her girlfriend and her obsessively checking her ex's twitter or was it Instagram. I don't know. Either way she ends up fixing a print shop order gone wrong and meeting someone new. It was alright, didn't blow my socks off or anything.

"Hourglass" by Ibi Zoboi (3 stars)-This whole story pissed me off. I felt like it needed a stronger ending too. The main character is an African American girl named Cherish. Cherish has a selfish asshole friend named Stacy. The biggest issue for me is that I don't think the character of Cherish realizes how wrong she has been done by Stacy. Stacy ends up choosing to be with a boy who has gone after Cherish due to her race. At that point I would be popping smoke and telling Stacy to shove it. I just ended up feeling frustrated by Cherish still obsessing over telling Stacy everything that has gone on with her.

"Click" by Katharine McGee (3 stars)-Shrug. I swear I feel like I have read a similar story to this one before. This story takes place in 2020 and we have a new dating service called Click. It floats back and forth between two characters, Alexa and Raden. There were no real surprises here, I can't lie though, I could see this as a total rom-com.

"The Intern" by Sara Shepard (1 star)-Sorry, this was among my least favorite of these stories. I was not engaged during the entire story-line.

"Somewhere That's Green" by Meredith Russo (2 stars)-I swear, this was another storyline that ticked me off while reading. We have one girl (Lexie) who attacks a transgirl (Nia) at her school and talks about safety and a variety of other things that is about her not being allowed to use the bathroom. And somehow this turns into a thing where Lexie is fighting against who she really is or something.

"The Way We Love Here" by Dhonielle Clayton (5 stars)-This was so good. I loved the fantasy elements incorporated into this story. I loved the various ways that you can see how the characters (Sebastian and Viola or Vio) lives can change and how it is left open-ended to see what path they may take knowing what can happen between them.

"Oomph" by Emery Lord (4 stars)- I thought this was an adorable meet cute taking place at an airport. I liked how the story was set up and the ending.

"The Dictionary of You and Me" by Jennifer L Armentrout (1 star)-Sorry from beginning to end this story just didn't work for me at all. It just felt unfinished somehow. And I never want to read the word "zazzy" again.

"The Unlikely Likelihood of Falling in Love" by Jocelyn Davies (5 stars)-You get some math/stats and a young girl determining how likely is it that she is going to see a guy she viewed via another train window. I loved the discussion of soul mates (her parents were hilarious) and how the story is developed.

"259 Million Miles by Kass Morgan (3 stars)-Okay story, after the last one though it was a let down.

"Something Real" by Julie Murphy (2 stars)-I know I read this, but I still had to go back since I couldn't even recall this one. It felt like there was too much going on with this one. Okay story, just didn't really enjoy it as much as I did the others.

"Say Everything" by Huntley Fitzpatrick (3 stars)-I was surprised I didn't like this one more since I loved this author's book "My Life Next Door."

"The Department of Dead Love (5 stars)-This was so good. This is another fantasy short story where people can go and determine why the love between them and another person died. You get interviewed by Heartworkers who diagnose you. Don't want to spoil, but I loved the entire idea about this story.

So I realized that I tended to like the fantasy/sci-fi elements short stories more. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |

Russo, MeredithContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Shepard, SaraContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Yoon, NicolaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Zoboi, IbiContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,131,469 books! | Top bar: Always visible