The Word Is Murder: A Novel (Detective…

The Word Is Murder: A Novel (Detective Daniel Hawthorne) (original 2017; edition 2018)

by Anthony Horowitz (Author)

Member:jhowell
Title:The Word Is Murder: A Novel (Detective Daniel Hawthorne)
Authors:Anthony Horowitz (Author)
Info:Harper (2018), 400 pages
Tags:mystery, kindle, library book

The Word Is Murder: A Novel by Anthony Horowitz (2017)

English (53)  German (1)  All languages (54)
Literally fiction and/or non-fiction. My 4th Horowitz novel this year and I'm starting to think Horowitz is a genius. His Sherlock Holmes books are written like you're reading Arthur Conan Doyle, Magpie Murder had an Agatha Christie vibe. The Word Is Murder "sounds" like none of the above. Now I have to give his James Bond book a go. ( )
  ddelmoni | Jun 19, 2019 |
I am generally not a fan of mystery novels. I am a huge fan of the author, Anthony Horowitz. I have read and enjoyed previous books that he has written and looked forward to reading this one. The story reads like a modern Sherlock Holmes – Dr. Watson mystery adventure. The author steps into the story and accompanies Hawthorne, a detective/consultant who is attempting to solve a murder of the mother of a famed Hollywood actor. The book starts off interestingly with a description of the woman planning her own funeral the day that she is murdered. There are the usual twists and turns – – characters and suspects who may hold clues to the woman's murder. Hawthorne is a mysterious character. Slowly throughout the book, you begin to learn about his past and his motivations. This is an excellent book for those who love mysteries and a great story.

I will continue to look forward to more books from Horowitz. ( )
  writemoves | Jun 17, 2019 |
(21) I really enjoyed this. I only have ever read his 'Magpie Murders' which I also loved, but I see he has written quite a bit and that it is possible that this Detective Hawthorne may become a thing. . . Anyway, this was every bit as good as Magpie Murders, though I did not necessarily care for the Stephen King-ike schtick of inserting himself in as a character. I haven't done much internet research but I feel quite certain this 'case' did not really happen even though there obviously were some real persons mixed in such as Peter Jackson and Steven Spielberg. I am not really up on movies, TV series, actors what have you so the lines really blurred for me in who was real and who was made up. This was intriguing, but maybe a bit annoying. All that RIn tin tin or whatever stuff seemed self-indulgent. But the story itself was great.

A woman walks into a funeral parlor to plan her own funeral, and 6 hours later she turns up murdered. What a great premise. It turns out this woman was involved in a tragic car accident almost 10 years prior in which she hit young twin boys, killing one and crippling the other. Her son just also happens to be a famous movie actor in Hollywood. The author himself is dragged into the case by the enigmatic Hawthorne, a police consultant with a past, who wants Horowitz to write a detective story about him and the case - before it is even solved! Or is it solved already? It's unclear.

The writing was clever and engaging - perhaps not quite as atmospheric as 'Magpie' but definitely kept me turning the pages. I did not for the life of me guess at the truth, despite flipping back thru the (electronic) pages with the hints the author dropped in mind. I think that made it all the more intriguing - I suppose one could have guessed, but the author is a master of red herrings and misdirection. The cat, the man in the picture, the first thing she saw . . ., the keys -- aargh!

I do love this sort of thing though. I did catch the shout outs to Rendell and Inspector Wexford which I have just begun, as well as Sherlock Holmes which I have also read. I now just need to add Agatha Christie to the lexicon, before I can truly call myself a fan of British murder mysteries. ( )
  jhowell | May 5, 2019 |
So after reading Magpie Murders, I quickly sought out whatever else Anthony Horowitz has written and came across this (his next book) and jumped right in. And I was terribly disappointed. First of all, what I thought was going to be a nice postmodern exercise (inserting himself into the narrative) turned out to be more biography than anything else. He seemed to spend an undue amount of time showing off his previous successes. The lengthy scene where he meets with Stephen Spielberg and Peter Jackson may have been pulled directly from his real life, but it didn't add anything at all to this story. Second of all, he comes across as somewhat unlikable. He whines most of the way through this story about how he doesn't want to write it. Almost made me not want to finish reading it. Third of all, the other "main" character in this book, the fictitious detective Daniel Hawthorne who the somewhat fictitious Anthony Horowitz teams up with, is absolutely unlikable: gruff, brash, homophobic, and many other negative adjectives as well. Horowitz (the real one) doesn't give him a single likable character trait. The only good thing about him is his Holmesian deductive abilities. The pastiche of "genius afflicted with poor social skills" is popular these days, probably attributed to Sir A.C.D himself, but usually, even in the worst examples, the afflicted genius has some cracks in his crusty veneer that shows something/anything relatable and human underneath. The only relatable or human characteristic we get from Hawthorne is the fact that he builds model airplanes. (Seriously. And this isn't a spoiler because it has absolutely zero bearing on anything at all related to the story.) And also he saves the Horowitz (the character) from near-certain death because Horowitz (the character) is an absolute idiot. And having read Magpie Murders I know for a fact that Horowitz (the real writer) is not an idiot. He also created some of my parents' favorite BBC TV mysteries, so he must know a thing or two about crafting a whodunit. This one, however, left me flat, bored, and sad. ( )
  invisiblelizard | May 5, 2019 |
I started reading this book because the author is the writer for the British television show Foyle's War. However, I found this book very confusing as to what the purpose was. It's not entertaining to read, and it's about a relationship between a writer and an acquaintance that wants him to write a detective novel based on the latter's work as a police officer. The two co-authors don't see eye to eye, and I soon got tired of the storyline. ( )
  kerryp | Apr 30, 2019 |

When a wealthy woman is found murdered after planning her own funeral service, disgraced police detective Daniel Hawthorne and his sidekick, author Anthony Horowitz, investigate.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,622,604 books! | Top bar: Always visible