Nevermoor: The Trials of Morrigan Crow (2017)

by Jessica Townsend

Other authors: James Madsen (Illustrator)

Series: Nevermoor (1)

"A cursed child destined to die on her eleventh birthday is rescued and whisked away to a secret realm called Nevermoor and given the chance to compete for a place in a prestigious organization called the Wundrous Society"--
    Nightingale by Deva Fagan (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: If you liked Nevermoor, you should check out Nightingale by Deva Fagan ✨! You can read my review of it here: https://newkidonthebookreviews.wordpress.com/2022/07/27/review-nightingale-by-deva-fagan/

English (77)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (79)
This book had some Time Lord vibes, with the main character being whisked off to a magical realm full of wonder and giant talking cats and a Hotel that changes your room while you sleep. The characters were delightful and the adventure was high. There is a graveyard zombie chase and the bad guy a mass murder, but not much explanation or detail about what that entails. ( )
  mslibrarynerd | Jan 13, 2024 |
I really enjoyed this book. It was such a prefect middle grade adventure with a mix of fantasy and magic. I really was captivated by the world building and also the characters. I thought the "tasks" kept the plot to be super fast pace and engaging It was such a fun novel to read and hard to put down. I enjoyed the characters alot and loved the developing the "trio of characters that we met. The ending was a tad rushed but Overall, I really loved the book and hope to read book 2 soon!
  lmauro123 | Dec 28, 2023 |
  lmauro123 | Dec 28, 2023 |
Nevermoor obviously draws comparisons to Harry Potter, but pretty early on you realize this is very much doing its own uniquely entertaining thing.

This is on the chunkier side yet I never felt the length of it, it isn’t the kind of chunky to be daunted by, nothing felt like filler, it’s descriptive without ever seeming bogged down by those descriptions, it never dragged, it just really satisfyingly moved along especially during the trials (the race was my favorite). So don’t let the size of this one put you off, it’s a page-turner from start to finish, peppered with so, so much creativity, if anything you’ll be sorry it wasn’t even longer.

I was a little concerned early on with so much whimsy, so much playfulness and humor that maybe this wouldn’t strike a chord for me emotionally, but the deeper I went into the story, the deeper the bonds between wonderful little outcast Morrigan and her growing group of friends and supporters (including a most excellent feline named Fenestra) grew, the more attached and invested I became, the more I just fell in love with everything this book had to offer. ( )
  SJGirl | Oct 2, 2023 |
While I loved this, it wasn't quite a 5 star for me.

I absolutely loved the fantasy world and magical elements like traveling on a railway with brooms and papers that can think for themselves but unfortunately, I was able to predict most of the plot twists. As a middle-grade novel, I can understand this to a certain extent, however, I have recently been reading a different middle-grade fantasy series that continuously surprises me. ( )
  CaitlinDaugherty | Aug 28, 2023 |

Jessica Townsendprimary authorall editionscalculated
Madsen, JamesIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Awards

Notable Lists

For Sally, first guest of the Hotel Deucalion

And for Teena, who made me think I could do anything, even this.
Prologue: The journalists arrived before the coffin did.

A cursed child destined to die on her eleventh birthday is rescued and whisked away to a secret realm called Nevermoor and given the chance to compete for a place in a prestigious organization called the Wundrous Society.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 201,801,252 books! | Top bar: Always visible