Dear Fahrenheit 451: Love and Heartbreak in…

Dear Fahrenheit 451: Love and Heartbreak in the Stacks: A Librarian's… (original 2017; edition 2017)

by Annie Spence (Author)

Member:Citizenjoyce
Title:Dear Fahrenheit 451: Love and Heartbreak in the Stacks: A Librarian's Love Letters and Breakup Notes to the Books in Her Life
Authors:Annie Spence (Author)
Info:Flatiron Books (2017), Edition: 1st Edition, 256 pages
Collections:Your library, Currently reading
Rating:*****
Tags:E-Audiobook, Books About Books, Librarians, Libraries, Essays, Shared Read

Dear Fahrenheit 451: Love and Heartbreak in the Stacks: A Librarian's Love Letters and Breakup Notes to the Books in Her Life by Annie Spence (2017)

Love and the Art of War by Dinah Lee Küng (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: "Love and the Art of War" recommended by Annie Spence in "Dear Fahrenheit 451"

4.5: Annie Spence urges us all to read with her outrageous humor, accessible writing style, and expansive knowledge of books. Spence has me considering which books I would compose "love letters" or "breakup notes" for - and thinking of how many copies I will purchase for gifts this year! As Kirkus Reviews said, "A charming epistolary volume that begs to be read with pencil in hand." ( )
  Lisa_Francine | Jun 15, 2019 |
I really enjoyed the first part of this. Annie’s notes to books are witty, sometimes snarky, and entertaining. If the book had ended here, I’d have given it 4.5 stars. The second half is a slog of book recommendations and summaries that I did not find nearly as enjoyable, and found rather tedious, to be honest. ( )
  DGRachel | Apr 2, 2019 |
Everyone who reads voraciously should read this book. It was both fun and insightful to read the authors letters to the books many of us have read and loved, liked, or hated...some we may never have finished. It was like taking a walk down memory lane if that Lane was a bookshelf.
Very entertaining! ( )
  SusanGeiss | Mar 24, 2019 |
I laughed out loud many times while reading this one. Letters to favorite and not-so-favorite books, recommendations, and librarian humor all make this a pick. ( )
  redwritinghood38 | Nov 6, 2018 |
Fairly lightweight. Good bathroom reading. ( )
  ritaer | Jul 16, 2018 |

Annie Spenceprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bennett, JonathanDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harms, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spicer, StephanieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every damn field there is; in every religion and every art form and don't tell me you haven't got time! There's plenty of time. You need all of these cross-references. You never know when your head is going to use this fuel, this food for its purposes.
- Ray Bradbury
This book is dedicated to the other six Authiers from the double-wide that was always taking in more people and animals than there was space for, who raised me and had such white-hot pride for me I rarely suffered the cold of my own doubt.
Dear Reader,

Welcome to Dear Fahrenheit 451.
You're upsetting the patrons as well, or rather, I am upsetting them by not putting all the Killings next to each other. But I must stand firm. The biography section is organized in alphabetical order by the subject of the book, not the author. Yes, even if the author's name appears in a larger font than said biography subject. If we did it for you, we'd have to do it for everyone and then there would just be panic... We can't open ourselves up to that kind of chaos in the stacks. Next thing you know, we're alphabetizing the entire collection by title, which is a proposition we receive in the suggestion box at least once a year.

From Amazon:
A librarian's laugh-out-loud funny, deeply moving collection of love letters and breakup notes to the books in her life.

If you love to read, and presumably you do since you’ve picked up this book (!), you know that some books affect you so profoundly they forever change the way you think about the world. Some books, on the other hand, disappoint you so much you want to throw them against the wall. Either way, it’s clear that a book can be your new soul mate or the bad relationship you need to end.

In Dear Fahrenheit 451, librarian Annie Spence has crafted love letters and breakup notes to the iconic and eclectic books she has encountered over the years. From breaking up with The Giving Tree (a dysfunctional relationship book if ever there was one), to her love letter to The Time Traveler’s Wife (a novel less about time travel and more about the life of a marriage, with all of its ups and downs), Spence will make you think of old favorites in a new way. Filled with suggested reading lists, Spence’s take on classic and contemporary books is very much like the best of literature―sometimes laugh-out-loud funny, sometimes surprisingly poignant, and filled with universal truths.

A celebration of reading, Dear Fahrenheit 451 is for anyone who loves nothing more than curling up with a good book…and another, and another, and another!

If you love to read, and presumably you do since you've picked up this book, you know that some books affect you so profoundly they forever change the way you think about the world. Some books, on the other hand, disappoint you so much you want to throw them against the wall. Either way, it's clear that a book can be your new soul mate or the bad relationship you need to end. In Dear Fahrenheit 451, librarian Annie Spence has crafted love letters and breakup notes to the iconic and eclectic books she has encountered over the years. From breaking up with The Giving Tree (a dysfunctional relationship book if ever there was one), to her love letter to The Time Traveler's Wife (a novel less about time travel and more about the life of a marriage, with all of its ups and downs), Spence will make you think of old favorites in a new way. Filled with suggested reading lists, Spence's take on classic and contemporary books is very much like the best of literature sometimes laugh-out-loud funny, sometimes surprisingly poignant, and filled with universal truths. A celebration of reading, Dear Fahrenheit 451 is for anyone who loves nothing more than curling up with a good book...and another, and another, and another!… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,549,856 books! | Top bar: Always visible