Why Buddhism is True: The Science and…

Why Buddhism is True: The Science and Philosophy of Meditation and… (2017)

by Robert Wright

Wonderful book that clarifies some important Buddhist doctrine and how it relates to a evopsychological understanding of the mind. ( )
1 vote jasoncomely | Nov 3, 2018 |
What can I say about this book. Wright does an excellent job applying the ethics of Buddhism to every day life. I myself do not define myself with a particular religion. When others who are of a specific religion question my choices I explain "At best, I would identify as a Buddhist" My choice is to live my life as a good person and helping others. It was confusing and then enlightening to hear Wright explain Buddhism using Science with Darwin etc. I recommend this to anyone looking for aide in anything from focus, calming oneself down, to finding a closer connection to God. There is a lot of information in here that I hope to use in my efforts to creating more calm in my life (we all know I need it). :) ( )
  Starla_Aurora | Oct 29, 2018 |
This was too abstract and philosophical for my level of understanding. Also, from the title, I was expecting something more on the line of studies that bolster Buddhist tenets. There's a fair amount of the author's own experiences in learning to meditate which, to me, had nothing to do with explaining why Buddhism is true. ( )
  wandaly | Sep 18, 2018 |
The Science and Philosophy of Meditation and Enlightenment ( )
  Awfki | Jul 5, 2018 |
An interesting look at the science of evolutionary psychology and how it seems to validate much of what Buddhism has held for the last couple of millennia. While the beginning and end of the book held my interest, much of the middle section was a tough read, mired in difficult to grasp philosophy. If you have a strong interest in philosophy, evolutionary psychology, or Buddhism, these chapters might flow more easily. All in all, a challenging and at times slow paced read, but interesting. ( )
  caimanjosh | Jun 27, 2018 |
Wright’s book is provocative, informative and, in many respects, deeply rewarding.

"In Why Buddhism is True, Wright leads readers on a journey through psychology, philosophy, and a great many silent retreats to show how and why meditation can serve as the foundation for a spiritual life in a secular age. At once excitingly ambitious and wittily accessible, this is the first book to combine evolutionary psychology with cutting-edge neuroscience to defend the radical claims at the heart of Buddhist philosophy. With bracing honesty and fierce wisdom, it will persuade you not just that Buddhism is true?which is to say, a way out of our delusion?but that it can ultimately save us from ourselves, as individuals and as a species."---Amazon.com.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,833,456 books! | Top bar: Always visible