Why Buddhism is True: The Science and…

Why Buddhism is True: The Science and Philosophy of Meditation and… (original 2017; edition 2018)

by Robert Wright (Author)

From one of America's most brilliant writers, a New York Times bestselling journey through psychology, philosophy, and lots of meditation to show how Buddhism holds the key to moral clarity and enduring happiness. At the heart of Buddhism is a simple claim: The reason we suffer--and the reason we make other people suffer--is that we don't see the world clearly. At the heart of Buddhist meditative practice is a radical promise: We can learn to see the world, including ourselves, more clearly and so gain a deep and morally valid happiness. In this "sublime" (The New Yorker), pathbreaking book, Robert Wright shows how taking this promise seriously can change your life--how it can loosen the grip of anxiety, regret, and hatred, and how it can deepen your appreciation of beauty and of other people. He also shows why this transformation works, drawing on the latest in neuroscience and psychology, and armed with an acute understanding of human evolution. This book is the culmination of a personal journey that began with Wright's landmark book on evolutionary psychology, The Moral Animal, and deepened as he immersed himself in meditative practice and conversed with some of the world's most skilled meditators. The result is a story that is "provocative, informative and...deeply rewarding" (The New York Times Book Review), and as entertaining as it is illuminating. Written with the wit, clarity, and grace for which Wright is famous, Why Buddhism Is True lays the foundation for a spiritual life in a secular age and shows how, in a time of technological distraction and social division, we can save ourselves from ourselves, both as individuals and as a species.… (more)
Member:RafikMankarious
Title:Why Buddhism is True: The Science and Philosophy of Meditation and Enlightenment
Authors:Robert Wright (Author)
Info:Simon & Schuster (2018), Edition: Reprint, 336 pages
Tags:Ebook

Work Information

Why Buddhism is True: The Science and Philosophy of Meditation and Enlightenment by Robert Wright (2017)

“natural selection designed our feelings in a particular environment—an environment with no junk food… There are quite a few feelings like this—feelings that, back when they entered our lineage, served our ancestors’ interests but that don’t always serve our interests now.” ( )
  bowendwelle | Apr 19, 2021 |
On one hand, this book is a very strong and convincing introduction to the core truths of "Buddhism" (in quotes, because this book is very much written for the Western secular practitioner), why they matter, and how they can improve your understanding of the world and of your own mind. I felt there was a relevant insight or cleverly worded explanation on almost every page; I had to restrain myself from highlighting too many passages. In these passages, the prose is clear and flows easily. Even those skeptical of Buddhism or meditation should read this book to have these concepts in their wheelhouse.

On the other hand, Wright for some reason felt the need to intersperse clunky, verbose, poorly-edited humor/anecdotes/self-deprecation in with the real writing. This didn't detract much from my overall experience, but its existence in the text means four stars to a book that I easily took five stars worth of value from. ( )
  Alex_JN | Dec 10, 2019 |
Accessible and lively tour of the philosophical issues. Stays secular but with enough personal anecdote to keep things interesting. ( )
2 vote albertgoldfain | Jul 31, 2019 |
I'm sure for those with an interest, it was a great book (based on the Goodreads ratings). I read about 50 pages and put the book down. I guess I did not have the requisite consciousness or mental bandwidth to reach enlightenment. I zoned out quickly from the book. ( )
  writemoves | Jun 17, 2019 |
There was a lot of information to absorb in this book and for people interested in science or evolutionary psychology, there are some fascinating ideas to ponder. However, I had different expectations for this book, based mostly on the title -- Why Buddhism is True. But really this book is about how our minds show us a distorted reality, a necessary feature for survival, and how meditation can unmask the distortion and show us the truth. I really liked the evolutionary biology part of this book. It's so interesting to see how we distort reality and why humans evolved to do this. And although I can see that there is a lot of data these days espousing the benefits of meditation, I don't know I agree that it will solve many of the problems in our world as Wright seems to preach. Also, he discounts some of the religious aspects of Buddhism, so I feel like his title is deceptive. It would be like saying why Judaism is True and then have a book that discusses the validity of one of the ten commandments.

The book is accessible and entertaining, but it left me oddly unsettled. ( )
  jmoncton | Jun 13, 2019 |
Wright’s book is provocative, informative and, in many respects, deeply rewarding.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,546,574 books! | Top bar: Always visible