The lily pond by Annika Thor

The lily pond (edition 2011)

by Annika Thor, Linda Schenck, Amy Rubinate

1203146,134 (3.55)4
Member:thornton37814
Title:The lily pond
Authors:Annika Thor
Other authors:Linda Schenck, Amy Rubinate
Info:New York : Random House/Listening Library : Books on Tape, p2011.
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:kiddie lit, Holocaust, Sweden, school

The Lily Pond by Annika Thor

Stephanie goes to the mainland to attend grammar school. Her younger sister Nellie remains on the island. Stephanie lives with the doctor's family who visited on the island, but she's not really treated as a family member, taking her meals in the kitchen. She's glad the other two girls from the island are in the other class. Stephanie has a crush on Sven, the son in the family with whom she resides. She befriends a girl from a poor family. Sven takes Stephanie on a tour around town, showing her a lily pond which is in front of wealthy families' homes when she arrives. She knows it is a place she'll visit often. It was the perfect title for this book since she visits there regularly to reflect and ponder. Her parents are still in Vienna, hoping to secure passage to America. I don't want to give too much away. It's a great installment in the series. I'm glad someone decided to make these available in English. I listened to the audiobook. ( )
  thornton37814 | Nov 8, 2018 |
I thought I might not like these books past the first book. But I liked this one just as much. I really enjoyed it. I plan to read book 3 soon as I am eager to find out what happens next. Book 4 looks available in English as a Kindle edition but I’m not sure it’s available in any other format. I hope that there is some way I’ll be able to read it if I want to continue on past book 3.

This book could work as a standalone but I highly recommend reading book 1 before reading this book. I know I would have liked this book much less than I did had I not read book 1 first. Just enough background is given in this one so readers won’t be totally lost though if they decide to read this book first.

I loved getting to know some new characters and the city vs. middle of nowhere setting. I also really liked seeing other sides to people I’d already met in the first book.

I appreciated that the main character is flawed and makes mistakes but is very likeable and loveable anyway.

I thought the relationships and people and happenings were mostly realistically done.

It was chilling to see the anti-Semitism, subtle and a bit less so, from some of the characters, especially the Swedes and most especially some of the teachers. Luckily, there are many, many characters that are on the right side of things.

Fabulous story(ies) that would have been a favorite of mine when I was 9-12.

I deliberately read through this slowly because my other library books were not ready and I didn’t want to be left with no library books, but this is a book I could normally easily read in one or two days. ( )
  Lisa2013 | Jun 5, 2018 |
A very good picture of what life was like in the beginning years of the second world war for Jewish refugees. Stephie is a character with heart and courage who has adapted to life on an isolated island and then has an opportunity to attend school on the mainland. ( )
  MarkNolan | Jan 25, 2016 |

Having left Nazi-occupied Vienna a year ago, thirteen-year-old Jewish refugee Stephie Steiner adapts to life in the cultured Swedish city of Gothenburg, where she attends school, falls in love, and worries about her parents who were not allowed to emigrate.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,688,054 books! | Top bar: Always visible