dismiss

Anatomy of a Scandal by Sarah Vaughan

Anatomy of a Scandal (2018)

by Sarah Vaughan

"An astonishingly incisive and suspenseful novel about a scandal amongst Britain's privileged elite and the women caught up in its wake. Sophie's husband James is a loving father, a handsome man, a charismatic and successful public figure. And yet he stands accused of a terrible crime. Sophie is convinced he is innocent and desperate to protect her precious family from the lies that threaten to rip them apart. Kate is the lawyer hired to prosecute the case: an experienced professional who knows that the law is all about winning the argument. And yet Kate seeks the truth at all times. She is certain James is guilty and is determined he will pay for his crimes. Who is right about James? Sophie or Kate? And is either of them informed by anything more than instinct and personal experience? Despite her privileged upbringing, Sophie is well aware that her beautiful life is not inviolable. She has known it since she and James were first lovers, at Oxford, and she witnessed how easily pleasure could tip into tragedy. Most people would prefer not to try to understand what passes between a man and a woman when they are alone: alone in bed, alone in an embrace, alone in an elevator ... Or alone in the moonlit courtyard of an Oxford college, where a girl once stood before a boy, heart pounding with excitement, then fear. Sophie never understood why her tutorial partner Holly left Oxford so abruptly. What would she think, if she knew the truth?"--… (more)

4* ( )
  gumnut25 | Apr 21, 2020 |
Anatomy of a Scandal by Sarah Vaughan

2017

Received as ARC from publishers via NetGalley for review.

What constitutes a scandal? Usually, there are several conflicting views of the same story. What makes one person a more reliable source than another? In this novel, the actions of an Oxford educated politician in Britain's Parliament are being scrutinized. James was raised in a wealthy privileged family which fostered his perception of accountability. Consequently, he has to defend himself against a prosecutor with a big chip on her shoulder. The prosecutor, Kate, had struggled to be a successful barrister defending innocent victims despite her unfortunate past. The story unfolds through alternating POV including, Sophie, the dedicated spouse of James. Like James, Sophie was raised with opportunities and wealth which jaded her view of reality.

This is a well written book which raises questions regarding how well do we truly know other people including those closest to us? There are many layers and opinions regarding a truth that might otherwise seem obvious. I don't like giving spoilers so I will just add that often even the truth isn't necessarily the true story. It is interesting how different people can experience the same situation yet arrive at a completely different and opposing conclusion.

I enjoyed the suspense and well developed characters. Like most scandalous stories there will always be people who strive to seek the truth at any cost. Sometimes, these people can be admired or criticized for their cunning approach in the sake of the truth. ( )
  marquis784 | Feb 15, 2020 |
This kept me gripped, I kept wanting to read bit more.
A good drama ( )
  karenshann | Dec 31, 2019 |
Anatomy of a Scandal has it all. Vaughan has managed to start off my 2018 with a book that has already left such a big impression on me. This is the second book I've read this month with the theme of rape, and I'm thankful that Vaughan handles the topic with grace and a straight-to-the-facts personality that shows us how deeply this can affect someone one it happens to them.

James is a politician who has been accused of rape. His wife wants to believe he's innocent, but as time goes on the less she's convinced. Kate is the lawyer who has been hired to try to pin James with a guilty verdict, and she's more than one hundred perfect convinced that he is guilty.

A courtroom is the perfect setting for this book, as it blends well with the topic at hand. We get multiple perspectives of different people, and see how looking past past crimes can come back to haunt people if they're not taught a lesson when it happens the first time.

With more women and men speaking up about their past run-ins with sexual harassment or rape in the news today, Vaughan has managed to come up with a book that's both timeless and trendy that packs a real lesson to all of us.

5/5 read. I recommend it to anyone who wants to start their 2018 with a book that they're unable to put down. I gobbled it up in two days tops.

Disclaimer: I received this book from BookishFirst in exchange for an honest review. All opinions herein are of my own and are not swayed by any outside factors. ( )
  Sabrina_Fox | Nov 4, 2019 |
I like to read a page turning thriller once in a while. I'd say out of the 25 or so books a year I read - maybe 2 or 3 fit that description. I usually pick them with some care because I read so few I try to read ones that have been well reviewed by a lot of people. I am not sure where I got the recommendation for this one but it does seem to have quite a following.

I was disappointed. I feel like this book was a bit of a slog and pretty far fetched. Far fetched to the point that i found it sometimes exasperating to read. I have a hard time when people make non-sensical decisions in books when their character is supposed to be smart. There was so much here that was crazy in terms of people taking risks that seem insane when their jobs are so important and then making it worse. I know we see some of this behavior in the crazy world we are living in today but in a novel to make the story work I feel like you have to have some consistency in behavior and motivation in characters.

Anyway, I made it all the way through, it was fine but I really wanted something I would feel like tearing through. ( )
  alanna1122 | Oct 11, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,625,836 books! | Top bar: Always visible