Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Hello Stranger: The Ravenels, Book 4 by Lisa…

Hello Stranger: The Ravenels, Book 4 (edition 2018)

by Lisa Kleypas (Author)

2031086,826 (3.94)4
Member:ChantalEllis
Title:Hello Stranger: The Ravenels, Book 4
Authors:Lisa Kleypas (Author)
Info:Avon (2018), 400 pages
Rating:*****

Hello Stranger by Lisa Kleypas

I'm thrilled to be reading the next installment of The Ravenels! Who is the new historical romance series by the amazing Lisa Kleypas, in fact, I just "might" have made a whole Instagram story of me getting it out of the package.... Yep! Totally fangirling.

In Hello Stranger we finally get to find out where Ethan Ransom fits in with the Ravenels, and why he seems to avoid them as much as he can. But we also get to spend more time with Dr. Garrett Gibson! Not only as the only women physician in England, but we get to see her awareness of Ethan!

But no true love runs smoothly, especially when an assassin is out to get Ethan, and those he thought were allies, were the ones plotting his death! But then push come to shove, will Garrett be able to save him?

I have never made it a secret that I absolutely love Lisa Kleypas, her writing is what made me fall in love with Historical Romance in the first place, and for me, Hello Stranger gives me that same excited vibe. I really enjoyed the characters, and plot, the only draw back for me was the cover, and while I'm not a big fan of it, the actual story is marvelous! So in this for instance, DO NOT judge a book by its cover.

I give Hello Stranger 5 stars! ( )
  Cara_Ross | Dec 2, 2018 |
The 4th volume in the Ravenel series focuses on Dr. Garrett Gibson who works for Rhys Winterbourne. Ethan Ransom, the illegitimate son of Edmund Ravenel, finds himself drawn to Gibson's beauty and strength; however, his role as a domestic spy makes him a danger to himself and anyone close to him, so he tries to keep his distance. Yet, neither can deny their connection.
  4leschats | Oct 22, 2018 |

Hello Stranger finally gives us the story of Dr. Garrett Gibson, the only female doctor in England, and Ethan Ransom, a former officer with Scotland Yard whose current employ is...questionable! Both these characters have been on the fringe of the previous books and I have been so curious about both of them. I love that Garrett is a trailblazer. All the heroines in this series have been strong women in unique ways. I love that about Kleypas' writing.
"As a physician, I can assure you there's nothing humorous about involuntary erections."
Garrett is also still a woman. She begins to have feelings for Ethan and isn't sure what to do with them. However, in typically Garrett fashion, she pushes for what she wants and is direct in her communication. I appreciated that she didn't play the 'ton game. Both her and Ethan are unconventional and it was perfect! Their banter is not the flirtatious type, but witty and direct. They both appreciate the uniqueness of the other and accept them for who they are. After Ethan accuses Garrett of not having a romantic bone in her body, she responds with:
"I reassembled an entire disarticulated skeleton in medical school. There is no such thing as a romantic bone."
She obviously didn't misunderstand him. She is smart and witty and turned the comment back on him in a way that is so Garrett! One might see this as her not understanding non-literal language but that isn't the case at all. I love that she uses this type of language play as humor. Kleypas really shows the intelligence of her characters with little quips like this.

There is a bit of danger in what Ethan is involved in, which added a level of suspense to the story. He is trying to be a double agent, but no one seems to want him to survive! He wars with falling for Garrett, but also knowing that his life is too dangerous for her to be exposed to.

I enjoyed seeing more of West as well! I cannot wait for his story (and Cassandra's!) because he was humorous and charming through Hello Stranger.

Garrett and Ethan were as wonderful as I expected and Hello Stranger was as delightful and endearing as I hoped (and knew) it would be! Kleypas is the queen of historical romance and this book only further solidifies her reign! If you like smart, yet quirky heroines and passionate, principled heroes, Hello Stranger will be one of your favorite reads of 2018!
"Among other things, I'm afraid of cows"
"Because of their size?" Helen asked sympathetically.
"No, its the way they stare. As if they're plotting something"

• POV: 3rd

• Tears: no

• Trope: regency

• Triggers: none

• Series/Standalone: stand alone within an interconnected series

• Cliffhanger: no

• HEA: yes, but no epilogue. I kind of expected this since you get little peeks at the previous couples in forthcoming books

The Rogue Not Taken by Sarah MacLean, The Highland Guardian by Amy Jarecki, The Scot Beds His Wife by Kerrigan Bryne, Lord of Lies by Amy Sandas...then you will probably like Hello Stranger!

Hello Stranger

See full review on The Book Disciple ( )
  thebookdisciple | Oct 9, 2018 |
My son's name is Ethan Rhys, so I am predisposed to like the Ravenel Series with its heroes, first Rhys then Ethan. And I did like Rhys's book, Marrying Winterbourne, quite a bit. Though I was lukewarm on the first in the series, books 2 and 3 were both 5-star reads for me. And so I was disappointed to find that book 4 was an ill-defined slog with two of the least charming leads I have ever read in romance. Rhys is an obsessive stalker and an assassin, He also spouts simpering flowery meaningless lines at random. Garrett, though clearly admirable strong and smart, is dull as dirt. It is hard to imagine this woman simply swooning into love (with her stalker) the moment he utters a flowery line and admires her brains and strength. Look, I am the queen of bad decisions about men, but even I would cast a pretty critical eye on a man who basically introduces himself (there is a very brief official acquaintance that predates this discussion) by telling me he has been stalking me for ages. This is a couple whom we are supposed to like for reasons I cannot fathom.

Side notes -- 1: The central story is totally underwritten. I did not even understand why people were trying to kill Ethan until a few pages before the end. 2) A child born and raised in England does not speak with an Irish accent just because his parents are Irish. Has Kleypas never met a person who is the child of immigrants? It is unimaginable that would be the case, but what do I know? ( )
  Narshkite | May 14, 2018 |
I'm shamefully behind on my Lisa Kleypas historical series (The Hathaways might have been my last reads from her?) but have good memories of them, so when I got a chance to read Hello Stranger with a doctor heroine and spy hero, I jumped at the chance. Though the fact that the heroine has a male name (neatly explained early on, but still...) continued to throw me for a loop all book long, this book was a lot of fun to read. Kleypas gave our hero some of the best lines ever, like

“The first moment I saw you, I knew you were my share of the world. I’ve always loved you. If I could choose my fate, I’d never be parted from you. Acushla…pulse of my heart, breath of my soul…there’s nothing on this earth more fair and fine than you. Your shadow on the ground is sunlight to me.”

(that one while he was literally on death's door!) and

“He knows that where you’re concerned, I…have…a preference.” Guiding her past the palms, he opened the service door and took her to the landing of a servants’ stairwell...

...“Preference,” Garrett repeated cautiously. “What does that mean? You prefer me to what?”

As they stopped in a corner, Ethan’s head and broad shoulders were silhouetted in the faint glow of a sconce on the opposite wall. She began to tremble as he stood over her, big and dark, his nearness awakening a pulse of high music in her.

“I prefer you to everything,” he said gruffly, and bent to take her mouth with his.

I mean, really. Could anyone possibly mount a defense against lines like that, I ask you?

I resisted the urge to look up 1870s medical procedures and knowledge, so I have no idea how accurate they are in the book, but OMG Kleypas absolutely used them to great effect here. Between the major medical emergency and the suspense drama--along with the aforementioned swoony bits--this one was nearly impossible to put down.

Hello Stranger is the fourth book in The Ravenels series, but worked just fine as a standalone--the Ravenels were very much secondary characters for most of the book; West, who hasn't had a book yet, has the biggest role here...and OMG, does his part have me sitting on the edge of my seat, waiting for his book to come out?

Yes. Yes, it does.

Rating: 4 stars / B+

I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book. ( )
  beckymmoe | Mar 19, 2018 |

Lisa Kleypasprimary authorall editionscalculated
Wells, Mary JaneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Greg,
the pulse of my heart
London
Summer 1876

Someone was following her.

A woman who defies her time

Dr. Garrett Gibson, the only female physician in England, is as daring and independent as any man—why not take her pleasures like one? Yet she has never been tempted to embark on an affair, until now. Ethan Ransom, a former detective for Scotland Yard, is as gallant as he is secretive, a rumored assassin whose true loyalties are a mystery. For one exhilarating night, they give in to their potent attraction before becoming strangers again.

A man who breaks every rule

As a Ravenel by-blow spurned by his father, Ethan has little interest in polite society, yet he is captivated by the bold and beautiful Garrett. Despite their vow to resist each other after that sublime night, she is soon drawn into his most dangerous assignment yet. When the mission goes wrong, it will take all of Garrett's skill and courage to save him. As they face the menace of a treacherous government plot, Ethan is willing to take any risk for the love of the most extraordinary woman he's ever known.

A bold doctor and a rumored assassin both long for more after a one-night stand, but a treacherous government plot may put them both at risk.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,494,773 books! | Top bar: Always visible