Fireblood by Elly Blake

Fireblood

by Elly Blake

Awesome sequel! This is a direct continuation of Frostblood. This time, Ruby's journey takes her to the fire kingdom, where her people stem from, and back again. If you liked the first book, you're pretty much guaranteed to really like this one as well. The characters and storyline are consistent, and it really leaves off leaving you eager for book three, which is fortunately due to be released soon. ( )
  TiffanyAK | Jul 24, 2018 |
I wasn't exactly anticipating the release of FIRE BLOOD. In fact, I delayed reading FIREBLOOD because I was scared at the thought of a love triangle, but FIREBLOOD ended up surprising me.

There were some great reveals in FIREBLOOD. I didn't like the fact that Ruby was going off on her own with a stranger to a different land, but it ended up being ok and I really enjoyed learning about everything that was thrown out in the story. Ruby grew and learned a lot about herself in FIREBLOOD. Through every twist, she plowed ahead and got done what needed to be done.

Let's talk romance. I don't want to ruin anything, but I will say that Ruby knows exactly who and what she wants, and the wait to find out wasn't excruciating.

I will definitely read more from the Fireblood Saga. I have enjoyed the characters and the world and need to know what will happen next.

* This book was provided free of charge from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  STACYatUFI | Nov 2, 2017 |
When last we saw Ruby, she was wondering what her life would be like living among Frostbloods as the love interest of the Frostblood king after having destroyed the last Frost King. Upon the opening pages of Fireblood, we learn exactly how difficult the struggle is. So when she is invited to visit the land of the Firebloods, we rejoice as she gets the opportunity to learn more about her people, learn more about her powers, and find a way to help Arcus.

As such things usually go, there is nothing about the trip that happens the way Ruby expects. There are agendas within agendas within agendas working against her, and Ruby is a bit slow when it comes to discovering them. She spends much of this book on her back foot, always trying to gain the upper hand but finding that she misread the situation yet again. It becomes a bit frustrating because we know she is a stronger character than this. Thankfully, we do get to see a bit more of Ruby’s powers, and she does get better at wielding them. We also learn more about her past and her mother. This helps round out her character a bit, explains a few unanswered questions, makes her less of an orphan, and helps offset the timidity of character she exhibits this go-round.

Upon finishing the book, there is the feeling that Elly Blake is not quite done with Ruby. Not only is there another book in the series, but her powers and her story remain unfinished. As we saw in the first book, there is much potential in Ruby. However, by the end of the second book, while more comfortable with her powers, you get the impression that she still hasn’t quite grown into all of them. Something is missing, and when she discovers what that is, there are going to be fireworks. What it is will undoubtedly relate to the big reveal in Fireblood, but what it has to do with the series ending remains to be seen.

One of the best things about Ruby is her independence. She does not sit around waiting for Arcus to find time in his day to spend with her. Instead, she is willing to put aside her feelings for the greater good of both countries. It is a lovely bit of sacrifice and a reminder that you should never lose sight of what is important when in a romantic relationship – yourself, your ideals, and your sense of duty.

Fireblood is a welcome sequel to the Frostblood series. It suffers only slightly from second book syndrome as Ruby is a bit too passive at times, reacting instead of acting. This was a flaw in the first novel as well, so I hope that in the third book she becomes bolder about taking the initiative. The story remains interesting with plenty of twists and turns to keep you guessing, only some of which are totally predictable. In all, it remains a strong story with fun, well-developed characters. The only thing now is the year-long wait to find out how it all ends.
  jmchshannon | Nov 1, 2017 |

Ruby leaves her beloved Arcus and travels to her mother's homeland of Sudesia, where she must pass a series of trials in order to hone her control of fire and become a Fireblood master, gaining the trust of the wary Fireblood queen and access to the knowledge that will allow her to defeat the destructive Minax.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,999,330 books! | Top bar: Always visible