The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air) by…

The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air) (edition 2018)

by Holly Black (Author)

1,771906,807 (4.09)27
Jude, seventeen and mortal, gets tangled in palace intrigues while trying to win a place in the treacherous High Court of Faerie, where she and her sisters have lived for a decade.
Member:Shareuv
Title:The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air)
Authors:Holly Black (Author)
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2018), 384 pages

The Cruel Prince by Holly Black

Going into this book I was wary because, and I’ll be totally honest here, I’m not a fan of fantasy books that include Faeries and other creatures that are in these types of books. It’s usually hard for me to get into and follow. However, for some reason, I was compelled to read this book and I’m so glad I gave it a shot!

Jude and her sisters, Taryn and Vivi, were only kids when their parents were murdered and they were taken to Faerie by Vivi’s biological father, Madoc. As the years go on, the girls grow up with different attitudes towards their new home – Vivi despises it, while Jude and Taryn want to find their place after finally accepting it as their home.

The story is told by Jude, who desperately wants to be a knight for the prince in line for the throne, Prince Dain, and finally fit into the world of Faerie. Meanwhile, she and Taryn are constantly bullied by the youngest prince, Cardan, which only makes Jude angry and want to prove herself even more. Jude’s story reveals that she is, in fact, not a perfect character, but given her situation at times, you can see why she acts the way she does.

As far as the story goes, it was really interesting. Like I said, I’m not usually into these types of fantasy novels, so learning about a new world was intriguing. I actually enjoyed the political aspect of the Faerie world and how things worked. It wasn’t hard to follow at all and the twists thrown into the story made me keep turning the pages!

Though I don’t dislike Jude, she’s not my favorite character either. I actually like her sister Vivi the best – she’s got spunk and really cares about her family, well, her sisters and brother anyway. I’m still unsure about Taryn, though I’m not a big fan at the moment. Cardan had some redeeming moments towards the end, but even before… who doesn’t end up loving the “bad boy” of the story? Then I loved the members of the Court of Shadows, the Roach, the Ghost, and the Bomb… they were my favorites along with Vivi, and I hope to see more of them in the sequel!

So overall, I really enjoyed The Cruel Prince and I’m very much looking forward to reading the next book in the trilogy, The Wicked King! ( )
  genieinanovel | Sep 15, 2020 |
So many people encouraged me to read this so of course I had to pick it up. I thought the storyline was interesting, but I felt like I knew what was coming almost every time. I wish there were a few more twists in the storyline or that it was more complex. I felt the writing could have been a bit better as well. ( )
  snickel63 | Aug 21, 2020 |
What could I become if I stopped worrying about death, about pain, about anything? If I stopped trying to belong?
Instead of being afraid, I could become something to fear.
  Chyvalrys | Aug 5, 2020 |
Need time to process my thoughts....... ( )
  Haleema-imran | Aug 3, 2020 |
Excellent example of YA faerie fantasy, more violent than most. At a young age, three girls (two human, one of the Folk) witness their parents murdered by the fairy-ex-husband of their mother; being a responsibly traditional sort, the murderer brings the children home and raises them as his own. As a teenager, our main character's personal drama plus an adventure commences that keeps giving for future books.

Good YA themes here on long-term implications of trauma, of belonging, of the meaning of family. Good adventure story. Good romance (obviously born from practicing fannish tropes).

Downsides come mostly from being YA -- it's written in present tense (sigh), it's painfully clearly set up as the first book of a series, the romances and relationships are So Full Of Drama, the plot twists are stereotypical for high court intrigue, the main character can somehow beat many of the Folk at their own games. More than most YA, it's also quite violent -- more than I generally like, though to its immense credit the violence does affect the mental health of the characters.

Highly recommended to fans of darker YA fantasy. Personally I wasn't as taken with it as I was taken by Black's very creepy middle-grade book Doll Bones, but I found it highly engaging despite not closely fitting the target audience. ( )
  pammab | Aug 1, 2020 |

Holly Blackprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kelly, CaitlinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For Cassandra Clare, who was finally lured into Faerieland
On a drowsy Sunday afternoon, a man in a long dark coat hesitated in front of a house on a tree-lined street.

Of course I want to be like them. They're beautiful as blades forged in some divine fire. They will live forever.

And Cardan is even more beautiful than the rest. I hate him more than all the others. I hate him so much that sometimes when I look at him, I can hardly breathe.

Jude was seven years old when her parents were murdered and she and her two sisters were stolen away to live in the treacherous High Court of Faerie. Ten years later, Jude wants nothing more than to belong there, despite her mortality. But many of the fey despise humans. Especially Prince Cardan, the youngest and wickedest son of the High King.

To win a place at the Court, she must defy him--and face the consequences.

In doing so, she becomes embroiled in palace intrigues and deceptions, discovering her own capacity for bloodshed. But as civil war threatens to drown the Courts of Faerie in violence, Jude will need to risk her life in a dangerous alliance to save her sisters, and Faerie itself.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,829,409 books! | Top bar: Always visible