Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air, Band…

The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air, Band 1) (edition 2018)

by Holly Black (Autor)

Jude, seventeen and mortal, gets tangled in palace intrigues while trying to win a place in the treacherous High Court of Faerie, where she and her sisters have lived for a decade.
Member:therealdelia
Title:The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air, Band 1)
Authors:Holly Black (Autor)
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2018), 384 pages

The Cruel Prince by Holly Black

I’m a huge fan of badass women in stories. Women that are willing and able to forge their own destinies against all odds. Jude Duarte is the kind of human I would want to be if I were taken to Faerie. I loved the story and the character development we see throughout the book and the world that is built from the faerie lore we know and love. ( )
  m.reoch | Nov 16, 2020 |
I received with thanks an ARC copy of The Cruel Prince (The Folk of Air #1) from Hot Key Books UK & Netgalley.

This is my true and honest review of The Cruel Prince by Holly Black. This was released for publication on 2nd January 2018.

“I can see why humans succumb to the beautiful nightmare of the Court, why they willingly drown in it…”.

For this is what happened to me, I was sucked in and drowned in the beauty of this book. I will be the first to agree that I struggle normally with hyped books and read them when the hype goes down. I am so glad that I got an ARC of this amazing book, as I was enthralled all the way through.

Jude and her sisters are taken from their parents and the mortal world when they are young. They are thrust head first into a society that is beautiful but also dangerous. We follow Jude as she navigates the politics in the world that she must live in. I liked Jude as a main character she was not afraid to stand up for herself and be who she wanted to be. Her sisters are complicated and each unique in their own way. Her step father and step mother also had several layers. For me I loved the dynamics of Court of Shadows. The cruel prince Cardan himself is not always as he seems, cruel yes, but also very charming. There is a character in this book I despise more that Cardan but will not add this as it will spoil he fun of finding out who.

I can see why this has been described as Game of Thrones meets Fairies. This world is cruel and full of twist and turns.

I cannot recommend this enough, this is a book is truly worthy of the hype. All I can say is I need book 2 now (please).
  AndreaWay | Nov 15, 2020 |
It took me a long time to get into this book. The first three-fourths were okay, but didn’t pull me in. Part two is where my interest picked up, because Jude was finally spurred into more action. The last fourth of the book is what made me give this four stars as opposed to three. ( )
  HillaryFredrick | Nov 4, 2020 |
Well well - my first Holly Black book - I wasn't disappointed - there was a lot happening in the middle, some of which I felt unnecessary - and there was a particular missing " at the end of a quote which drives me nuts. The book overall was great - it was well written and it was exciting and fun to read. And that ending. That ending was exciting and I really can't wait for book 2 to come out - thanks again owlcrate for another series I have to continue lol ( )
  ashezbookz | Oct 20, 2020 |
So many people encouraged me to read this so of course I had to pick it up. I thought the storyline was interesting, but I felt like I knew what was coming almost every time. I wish there were a few more twists in the storyline or that it was more complex. I felt the writing could have been a bit better as well. ( )
  snickel63 | Oct 7, 2020 |

Holly Blackprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kelly, CaitlinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For Cassandra Clare, who was finally lured into Faerieland
On a drowsy Sunday afternoon, a man in a long dark coat hesitated in front of a house on a tree-lined street.

Of course I want to be like them. They're beautiful as blades forged in some divine fire. They will live forever.

And Cardan is even more beautiful than the rest. I hate him more than all the others. I hate him so much that sometimes when I look at him, I can hardly breathe.

Jude was seven years old when her parents were murdered and she and her two sisters were stolen away to live in the treacherous High Court of Faerie. Ten years later, Jude wants nothing more than to belong there, despite her mortality. But many of the fey despise humans. Especially Prince Cardan, the youngest and wickedest son of the High King.

To win a place at the Court, she must defy him--and face the consequences.

In doing so, she becomes embroiled in palace intrigues and deceptions, discovering her own capacity for bloodshed. But as civil war threatens to drown the Courts of Faerie in violence, Jude will need to risk her life in a dangerous alliance to save her sisters, and Faerie itself.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,569,308 books! | Top bar: Always visible