The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air, 1) by…

The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air, 1) (edition 2018)

by Holly Black (Author)

2,2021035,236 (4.07)31
Jude, seventeen and mortal, gets tangled in palace intrigues while trying to win a place in the treacherous High Court of Faerie, where she and her sisters have lived for a decade.
Member:ManDUH_13
Title:The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air, 1)
Authors:Holly Black (Author)
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2018), Edition: Exclusive signed copy, 384 pages
Tags:Fae, Fantasy, Magic, Powers, King, Queen, Prince

The Cruel Prince by Holly Black

3.5 stars ( )
  Jessica_Scott | Apr 21, 2021 |
I LOVED THIS ( )
  Akacya | Feb 28, 2021 |
Holly Black knows her faerie folklore. The Cruel Prince, first book in The Folk of the Air series, shows the fae in all their ruthless, spiteful and selfish glory. Too bad it's wrapped in a fairly standard YA story. From the back of the book:

Jude was seven years old when her parents were murdered and she and her two sisters were stolen away to live in the treacherous High Court of Faerie. Ten years later, Jude wants nothing more than to belong there, despite her mortality. But many of the fey despise humans. Especially Prince Cardan, the youngest and wickedest son of the High King.

To win a place at the Court, she must defy him–and face the consequences.

The strength of the story is in its setting and how well Black understands the folklore she used as her inspiration. Black's writing constantly reminds us just how other Elfhame and the fae are. The fae cannot lie yet they can still deceive with the truths they tell. Immortal and hauntingly beautiful, yet they have no purpose to their long lives other than to amuse themselves, which tends to lean towards cruel tricks and bullying. Glamours, fairy oaths, debts and obligations, Black includes them all.

It took me a while to feel invested in the story. Part of that was due to my fairly neutral feelings towards Jude. Desperate to fit in, Jude is just as petty as the fae she loathes though it takes her a while to realize it. Once she does and fully commits herself, she becomes a lot more interesting. Jude's bullheaded determination takes her far and it was enjoyable to finally see her outsmart the fae. I wish the sister's relationship was explored more. It has a lot of potential. Half-fae Vivi acts more human than either Jude or Taryn at times. Taryn's betrayal was not completely unexpected and I have a feeling she's in for heartbreak in the future.

There is a romance. It's not the main focus of the story though I think I can see where it's potentially heading. My guess is it's an enemies turn lovers deal. While I was able to guess most of the twists the story took, I was quite surprised with that tricky ending.

I listened to the audio book narrated by Caitlin Kelly. I enjoyed her narration. She does a great job with character voices.

Even though I enjoyed the ending and kind of want to know how Jude manages to keep her little brother safe, I don't feel any desire to pick up the next book. Perhaps this will change in the future. ( )
  Narilka | Feb 27, 2021 |
Holly Black did not have a very inspiring start with this novel, but thankfully she managed to get over the initial over-explaining of her protagonist to settle into the real story. Most of her other books have an ease of tone, where the reader is just thrown into a world of magic with very few explanations and a lot of thematic implications that you either get or you don't, so the focus on the protagonist's recitation of her own origins can't help but feel awkward. Once we get into the story, though, the intrigues of the fey court take over. To an extent I dind't find a lot to connect with in our lead, since she is stubborn to the point of irrationality, but her tenuous position as a human in the truely faerie world does present a unique quandrum. By the end of this first book in the series she has provded thatg she can tangle with (and occasionally triumph over) the real faeries who surround her, but I guess we'll have to see if she can manage not to get herself killed by the end of things. ( )
  JaimieRiella | Feb 25, 2021 |
Read #2
This book splits itself into two books, which is an organizational strategy that works really well for me. This split tells my brain that things have changed and to start looking for how the characters act differently and how motives start to show through deception. Jude is super cool, Cardan is interesting, and everyone else is well-rounded.

Although this book has some violence, I feel like it's appropriate for most middle-grade readers. The later books get a little steamier, but this one balances plot, relationships, and world-building really well.

I wish I understood the lying thing better. If a fairy says something, does that make it the truth? Or is it the truth because they can say it? For example, at the beginning of the book, Vivi says she will always hate Madoc, can she say this because she just decided it and now it is the truth? Can she not say something to oppose it in the future?

Read #1
Honestly, the fanart drew me to this book (thank you Instagram!) However, the cliffhangers and surprises kept me reading ( )
  Emma.June.Lyon | Feb 23, 2021 |

Holly Blackprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kelly, CaitlinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For Cassandra Clare, who was finally lured into Faerieland
On a drowsy Sunday afternoon, a man in a long dark coat hesitated in front of a house on a tree-lined street.

Of course I want to be like them. They're beautiful as blades forged in some divine fire. They will live forever.

And Cardan is even more beautiful than the rest. I hate him more than all the others. I hate him so much that sometimes when I look at him, I can hardly breathe.

To win a place at the Court, she must defy him--and face the consequences.

In doing so, she becomes embroiled in palace intrigues and deceptions, discovering her own capacity for bloodshed. But as civil war threatens to drown the Courts of Faerie in violence, Jude will need to risk her life in a dangerous alliance to save her sisters, and Faerie itself.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,014,688 books! | Top bar: Always visible