The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air Book…

The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air Book 1) (edition 2018)

by Holly Black (Author)

Jude, seventeen and mortal, gets tangled in palace intrigues while trying to win a place in the treacherous High Court of Faerie, where she and her sisters have lived for a decade.
Member:DillanBrown
Title:The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air Book 1)
Authors:Holly Black (Author)
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2018), 385 pages
Collections:Fantasy, Your library

The Cruel Prince by Holly Black

Recently added byGeneseeLibrary, private library, thrntnja, Jonesy_now, SmaugsLibrary, JBroda, jessreib, Newtzi

English (116)  Spanish (1)  All languages (117)
And Cardan is even more beautiful than the rest. I hate him more than all the others. I hate him so much that sometimes when I look at him, I can hardly breathe.

You know you. You're a cover sucker. DON'T BUY THIS!

Reason 1.
Look at the sentence above... NO.

Reason 2.
It's YA. You know the reasons why you don't like YA.

DON'T FALL TO TEMPTATION!
  Jonesy_now | Sep 24, 2021 |
I read all three of these books in the span of two days because I was afraid that if I sat them down I wouldn’t ever go back. We’re they terrible? Not at all. The first book had the most promise for me. I did want to know what MC was gonna do with all that power. I was intrigued. Just enough.

Sometimes the first book in a series just doesn’t grab me so I fall down the rabbit hole of bad book series way too often. I almost DNF’ed Throne of Glass and now it’s the best high fantasy series I’ve read in years. So everything gets the benefit of the doubt.

Jude. To me Jude was well written. She’s kind of a shit person, honestly. There were multiple times throughout the series I was shell shocked by her bad choices. I didn’t like her but I liked reading her and I understood being driven by fear and feeling powerless.

Locke. Trying to figure out locke was probably the one thing that actually kept me on my toes the whole series. I wasn’t sure where they were taking him. And I was drawn to figuring him out.

Cardan. He grew on me in a predictable way. You just knew when you peeled back the layers, explained away the bad, he’d get his redemption. So you just wait and wait. A little too predictable for me but it was fine.

Taryn. She’s the best thing about this series in a screwed up way. Jude could trust no one. She didn’t have one solid relationship in the series. Taryn wasn’t evil, she wasn’t out to get her but she wasn’t the best sister either. HB could have easily gave her one good ally using this character but chose not to and I like that.

The side characters are what sold it for me. I loved the bomb. The ghost. Honestly, even Madoc. He was well written.

So where did this series fall short for me? I’m not sure. Maybe because it was a 7 on the Predictability meter. I don’t mind a slow pace, I love a good slow burn romance. But when you slow down a book like that it really raises the bar. You can’t fall short. It’s like hyping up a story ALL day and then you sit down to tell it and everyone goes that’s it??

Maybe it’s just in the shadow of Maas for me. She set the bar for me and all things fae are compared to her series.

srhuff | Sep 19, 2021 |
I was particularly interested in checking out this novel after hearing some of my favourite authors praising its characters and plot.
As a fan of Sarah J. Maas, it was difficult to find a substitute for her great fae books but I was pleasantly surprised with my first taste of Holly Black’s writing.
Straight into the action, I could barely put the book down long enough to sleep.
This book gave both characters you love to hate and cheer on.
The wait for the next book will be torture. ( )
  Sonja.Rosemarie | Sep 9, 2021 |
2.5 stars? I want to say that if it's the setting drawing you to this series, you should try Every Heart a Doorway, which does the things I liked in this, but better, and then builds the emotional consequences for the characters in a more real and nuanced way.
  gracefromspace | Sep 1, 2021 |
What a strong start to a series! I am very psyched for this world of the fae and all of their magical rules. The implied overall plot to the series is fascinating and I will definitely be reading more!! ( )
  Nikki_Sojkowski | Aug 26, 2021 |

Holly Blackprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kelly, CaitlinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For Cassandra Clare, who was finally lured into Faerieland
On a drowsy Sunday afternoon, a man in a long dark coat hesitated in front of a house on a tree-lined street.

Of course I want to be like them. They're beautiful as blades forged in some divine fire. They will live forever.

Jude was seven years old when her parents were murdered and she and her two sisters were stolen away to live in the treacherous High Court of Faerie. Ten years later, Jude wants nothing more than to belong there, despite her mortality. But many of the fey despise humans. Especially Prince Cardan, the youngest and wickedest son of the High King.

To win a place at the Court, she must defy him--and face the consequences.

In doing so, she becomes embroiled in palace intrigues and deceptions, discovering her own capacity for bloodshed. But as civil war threatens to drown the Courts of Faerie in violence, Jude will need to risk her life in a dangerous alliance to save her sisters, and Faerie itself.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,449,504 books! | Top bar: Always visible