ELEMENTS: Fire A Comic Anthology by Creators of Color!

by Taneka Stotts (Editor), Shing Yin Khor (Editor)

Other authors: Veronica Agarwal (Contributor), Chloe Chan (Contributor), Chan Chau (Contributor), Kou Chen (Contributor), Rashad Doucet (Contributor)27 more, Sara DuVall (Contributor), Tee Franklin (Contributor), Ash G. (Contributor), Maddi Gonzales (Contributor), Marisa Han (Contributor), Myisha Haynes (Contributor), Der-Shing Helmer (Contributor), Isuri Merenchi Hewage (Contributor), Kiku Hughes (Contributor), Yasmin Liang (Contributor), Mildred Louis (Contributor), Jaide Mandas (Contributor), Nina Matsumoto (Contributor), Michelle Nguyen (Contributor), Aatmaja Pandya (Contributor), Genué Revuelta (Contributor), Ma. Victoria Robado (Contributor), Jemma Salume (Contributor), Shivana Sookdeo (Contributor), Christina Stewart (Contributor), Taneka Stotts (Contributor), Tristan J. Tarwater (Contributor), Deshan Tennekoon (Contributor), Melanie Ujimori (Contributor), Orunmilla Williams (Contributor), James F. Wright (Contributor), JY Yang (Contributor)

402487,311 (4)None
"Come on a journey with us and share in our magic. We are no longer the sidekicks: we are the heroes of our own narratives! Get lost in cyberspace or take to the skies, and never let anyone, or anything, hold you back. These are our stories and more in Elements : fire, an anthology by creators of color. Featuring 23 all-age stories by 32 amazing contributors from across the globe, Elements : fire focuses on showcasing voices that might otherwise go unheard. We share not just our diversity, but also our inner fire!"--Back cover.… (more)

This comics anthology caught my eye on the new shelf at the library, and I'm glad I checked it out. A collection of short graphic stories by creators of color -- it's united by two themes. One, obviously, is fire. The other is that the entire book is printed in black, white, and red, giving visual consistency as well.

In any anthology, there are bound be to favorites and not-so-favorites. Happily, there were no stinkers here. Some didn't feel entirely complete, but all had interesting aspects. I liked the joyful childish exuberance of "Too Hot to Be Cool," by Maddi Gonzalez, loved the art in "Cactus Flower" by Sara DuVall, was intrigued by "Pulse" by Der-Shing Helmer, would love to see more from Melanie Ujimori, who created "Firestorm," by my favorites were probably "Preta," created by Chloe Chan, a tale about a future with cybernetic upgrades and the pressures people feel among all the new choices, "Breath, Plucked from Heaven," by Shivana Sookdeo, a quiet little tale about wisdom, endings, and goodbyes, and "A Burner of Sins," written by J.Y. Yang, a story about magic, guilt, memory, and the damage done when loved ones reject someone's transgender identity.

I've just learned this team is doing an EARTH anthology next. I can't wait to read it! ( )
  greeniezona | Feb 2, 2020 |
Absolutely stunning anthology full of passion, pain, and choices. I loved every minute of it. ( )
  emeraldreverie | Nov 15, 2018 |

Ujimori, MelanieContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Williams, OrunmillaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wright, James F.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Yang, JYContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
In times of darkness we must become the light to guide those who are lost and alone. We must raise our voices like our pens and tell our stories!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 156,962,881 books! | Top bar: Always visible