The Magic Misfits (2017)

by Neil Patrick Harris

Series: Magic Misfits (1)

"Six young magicians and illusionists team up to save their small town from a crooked carnival owner and his goons"--

English (12)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (13)
Not a bad story line; the protagonists are fleshed out well enough (though not spectacularly). My kids will be skipping it. ( )
  mullinstreetzoo | Feb 12, 2021 |
HAH I just noticed reviews are calling this a little kid version of Six of Crows...adorable coincidence ( )
  Chyvalrys | Aug 5, 2020 |
My grandsons will love this when they are older. It’s a great book for elementary age boys and girls especially if they are interested in magic tricks. ( )
  RaggedyMandy | Apr 22, 2020 |
Recommended Ages: Gr. 3-6

Plot Summary: Carter Locke had the misfortune of becoming an orphan, and an even greater misfortune of being raised by his uncle, a swindler who lived on the streets robbing people of money and valuable items. His uncle taught Carter how to pickpocket and was astounded when he noticed Carter had was very talented. Carter on the other hand, didn't want to do evil things. Sure, he wanted to eat, but he drew lines that he didn't want to cross. Finally, he had enough and ran away from his uncle. He ended up in a town with a large carnival and discovered a lot of the same tricks his Uncle Sly used to con people. Should he continue on his way? Should he grow his talents and join the carnival? Will he ever find a place where he fits in and feels like he's home?

Setting: small New England town

Characters:
Carter Locke
Uncle Sly
B.B. Bosso

Recurring Themes: fitting in, wheelchair, friendship, family, good vs. evil, two dads, LGBTQ

Controversial Issues: none

Personal Thoughts: Perfect amount of character development and action. Well-written. As I read the beginning I had Neil Patrick Harris's voice in my head, but that faded as I got invested in the story. However, the voice is still unusual and strong since the narrator speaks to the reader.

Genre: Fantasy or realistic fiction -- I can't think of any examples where it's very clearly not possible in real life, but there are times when it seems like magic but later is explained with a magic trick. Of course, I'm trying to go based on memory of reading this about a month ago, so I can't confidently say either way.

Pacing: fast/medium
Characters: well-developed
Frame:
Storyline:

Activity: Practice one of the magic tricks explained in the book ( )
  pigeonlover | May 21, 2019 |
A young street magician runs away from his con man uncle, attracts the attention of unscrupulous carnival folk, and makes a bunch of new friends.

It's an okay but pretty forgettable kids' book. I do imagine that as a kid I would have enjoyed the simple magic tricks and hidden message puzzles it includes, though. ( )
  bragan | Feb 2, 2019 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,091,719 books! | Top bar: Always visible