Agent in Place

by Mark Greaney

Series: Gray Man (7)

1785118,835 (4)1
"The Gray Man is back in another nonstop international thriller from #1 New York Times bestselling coauthor of Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan novels Court Gentry is back in action. This time he's working on behalf of a well-connected group of Syrian expats to secure the Syrian president's mistress so they can use her to bring down the president's regime. But the expats' plan goes awry when it's discovered the mistress has a baby--the Syrian president's only male heir--hidden away in a Damascus safe house. Court goes after the baby, a decision that comes at the price of the mistress's life. The expat organization deems the boy now useless to their cause and refuses to protect him against the Syrian first lady and the notorious Swiss assassin in her employ. With no support on the way, Court realizes he'll have to take down the Syrian president himself if he and the boy are going to make it out alive.."--… (more)

Fast-paced action reminiscent of the best Ludlum. First time reading a Gray Man novel. I might have had more at stake regarding whether or not the character survived if I'd read previous books in the series. Improbable combat scenes.Learned a lot about Syria which was both sad and interesting. Will probably look for earlier novels in the series. ( )
  SusanWallace | Jul 10, 2021 |
This is my first book in this series and I'm loving Gray Man. I wish I get to know him better that was one of the reason I didn't give 5 stars. The action was good and plot was right up my alley. It was a bit too long? I felt the middle section could have more concise and more added to the last five chapters. The ending was awesome but it felt rushed. Will be following this series. Fun read. ( )
  xKayx | Dec 14, 2020 |
Better than the last one in this series, marginally... which means it was very good. Looking for the next one now ( )
  crazybatcow | Sep 7, 2020 |
3.5 stars.Agent in Place by Mark Greaney is an action packed spy novel starring ex-CIA black ops operative Court Gentry. Although this latest release is the seventh installment in the Gray Man series, it can be read as a standalone.

Court Gentry has repaired his relationship with the CIA but his latest case is a freelance job that takes him deep into the Syrian crisis. Gentry is thrust into danger when he is hired by Rima and Tarek  Halaby to kidnap Spanish model Bianca Medina while she is in Paris. Bianca is more than just a model; she is the mistress of Syrian President Ahmed al-Azzam. Barely escaping with their lives, Gentry delivers Bianca to the Halabys who try to convince him to continue working for them as they continue their efforts to end the civil war in Syria. Court initially refuses their request but once he learns that Bianca has a baby with al-Azzam who is being held hostage in Syria, he agrees to rescue the baby from the ruthless leader.  Will Gentry successfully complete his latest mission?

Gentry is essentially on his own as he goes undercover with a group of mercenaries in order to the border into Syria. Once he arrives in country, he runs into danger at every turn.  When Court uncovers information about the Syrian president that no one else is aware of, he and a handful of trusted cohorts undertake an almost impossible mission that could have major international repercussions if they successfully carry out their plan.

The plot is somewhat convoluted and despite plenty of action, the pacing is extremely slow. The cast of characters is plentiful and trying to keep track of each of them is a herculean task.  Everyone seems to have an agenda, no one is trustworthy and the situation in Syria is complex.   The good guys face an uphill battle as they are continually double crossed which leaves them facing incredibly dangerous situations.

Agent in Place features a topical storyline that is relevant to current political events occurring in Syria.  Court Gentry is a force to be reckoned with in this newest installment in Mark Greaney's Gray Man series. While not quite as enjoyable as previous novels in the series, old and new fans will enjoy this adrenaline-fueled adventure.Agent in Place by Mark Greaney is an action packed spy novel starring ex-CIA black ops operative Court Gentry. Although this latest release is the seventh installment in the Gray Man series, it can be read as a standalone.

Agent in Place features a topical storyline that is relevant to current political events occurring in Syria.  Court Gentry is a force to be reckoned with in this newest installment in Mark Greaney's Gray Man series. While not quite as enjoyable as previous novels in the series, old and new fans will enjoy this adrenaline-fueled adventure. ( )
  kbranfield | Feb 3, 2020 |
I received this book as a giveaway sponsored by Berkley. I had requested this book because I knew that 2 of my sons would love the book because they've enjoyed the Tom Clancy books that Mr. Greaney co-wrote. Because I won I felt I needed to review before giving to my sons. I'm so glad I did because while this genre is not something I've typically enjoyed this book has made me reconsider - I will definitely be reading the rest of the series and will be only letting my sons borrow rather than keep the book.

Agent in Place is the 7th in the series but I didn't feel like I missed anything by not reading the previous books. I knew there were things mentioned from previous books in the series but not knowing the backstory didn't affect my enjoyment in the least.

In this book Court Gentry is a contractor assigned to kidnap the mistress of a Syrian dictator who knows something that could destabilize the government. What seems like an easy assignment is complicated when it's found that the mistress is also the mother of the only boy-child of the dictator. What follows is a book whose action scene are so well-written, with characters who were given such life that I could hear the French accent of the police detective and began to feel my claustrophobia soar as Greaney describes Gentry traveling in the military vehicle (don't ever want to get in one of those). Story kept going all the way to the end of the book.
  mmoj | Mar 14, 2018 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,358,498 books! | Top bar: Always visible