The Order of Time by Carlo Rovelli

The Order of Time (2017)

by Carlo Rovelli (Author)

Why do we remember the past and not the future? What does it mean for time to "flow"? Do we exist in time or does time exist in us? In lyric, accessible prose, Carlo Rovelli invites us to consider questions about the nature of time that continue to puzzle physicists and philosophers alike.--
Member:Mammadalt
Title:The Order of Time
Authors:Carlo Rovelli (Author)
Info:Penguin

Work Information

The Order of Time by Carlo Rovelli (2017)

English (31)  Spanish (3)  Italian (2)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  All languages (39)
Me gustó, para lo difícil del tema, bastante claro. ( )
  Alvaritogn | Jul 1, 2022 |
An elegant plain language explanation of relativity and quantum theory, A bit of speculative South Asian metaphysics is thrown in, but fails to explain anything. ( )
  BraveKelso | May 25, 2022 |
Before reading this book, I had a naive and simplistic view of time, but this book made me realize both how wrong I was and how complex the whole issue of time really is. I read it fascinated by the insights about the true meaning of “time,” the puzzlement felt by physicists as they seek a deeper understanding of it, and the coveralls complexity of understanding time and breaking it down to its components parts. It’s the smallest possible level.
The concepts covered in the book are complex, technically detailed and require a lot of either background understanding or details explanation. The author offers the needed explanations in ways even ignorant people like me can understand.
This is not an easy read in terms of its content-the concepts are complex-but the author has made it seem easy to read through his careful, direct style.
I know a lot more now than I did before reading it and I feel good about what I have learned. ( )
  PaulLoesch | Apr 2, 2022 |
Mind blown. ( )
  houghtonjr | Jan 1, 2022 |
This book by Carlo Rovelli is excellent and prompts you to think deeply about the concept of time.

It's an eminently readable book, and Carlo Rovelli's style is fluid and poetic.

I enjoyed the book tremendously. The last chapter, which is more philosophical than the others, is magnificent. It is a perfect way to end the book. ( )
  RajivC | Dec 20, 2021 |

Ramos Mena, Francisco J.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Segre, EricaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

FOR ERNESTO, BILO, AND EDOARDO
I stop and do nothing. Nothing happens. I am thinking about nothing. I listen to the passing of time.

This is time, familiar and intimate. We are taken by it. The rush of seconds, hours, years that hurls us toward life then drags us toward nothingness. . . . We inhabit time as fish live in water. Our being is being in time. Its solemn music nurtures us, opens the world to us, troubles us, frightens and lulls us. The universe unfolds into the future, dragged by time, and exists according to the order of time.
Gli eventi del mondo non si mettono in fila come gli inglesi. Si accalcano caotici come gli italiani.
«Ogni giorno muoiono innumerevoli persone, eppure quelli che rimangono vivono come se fossero immortali» [Mahabharata III, 297]. Io non vorrei vivere come se fossi immortale. La morte non mi fa paura. Ho paura della sofferenza. Della vecchiaia, anche se ora meno, vedendo la vecchiaia serena e bella di mio padre. Ho paura della debolezza, della mancanza di amore. Ma la morte non mi fa paura. Non mi faceva paura da ragazzo, ma allora pensavo fosse solo perché mi sembrava lontana. Ma ora, a sessant'anni, la paura non è arrivata. Amo la vita, ma la vita è anche fatica, sofferenza, dolore. Penso alla morte come a un meritato riposo. Sorella del sonno, la chiama Bach nella meravigliosa cantata BWV 56. Una sorella gentile che verrà presto a chiudere i miei occhi e accarezzarmi la testa.
E il canto, come aveva osservato Agostino, è la consapevolezza del tempo. È il tempo. È l'inno dei Veda che è esso stesso lo sbocciare del tempo. Nel Benedictus della “Missa Solemnis” di Beethoven il canto del violino è pura bellezza, pura disperazione, pura felicità. Vi restiamo sospesi trattenendo il fiato, sentendo misteriosamente che è questa la sorgente del senso. È questa la sorgente del tempo.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,541,306 books! | Top bar: Always visible