Close to Home (Tracy Crosswhite) by Robert…

Close to Home (Tracy Crosswhite) (edition 2017)

by Robert Dugoni (Author)

Member:KellyReeder
Title:Close to Home (Tracy Crosswhite)
Authors:Robert Dugoni (Author)
Info:Thomas & Mercer (2017), 382 pages
Rating:*****

Close to Home by Robert Dugoni

I was not sure that I would like this book or not. I have felt that the spark has gone out of this series while reading the last couple of books, and the one before this one was a real struggle to finish. However, I decided to give this series one more chance since I did like the first book very much.

So, how was it? To be honest, did I struggle at first with the book. The story did feel better than in the previous book, but I was several times mentally debating if I should stop reading or not since the story didn't offer any big surprises and it felt a bit sluggish. However, the story picked up when Dugoni decided to twist the story in a way that I did not foresee (thanks to not reading the blurb before starting the book) and then it got much better.

I'm not a big fan of reading about drugs, but one of the cops nieces overdosed before the events in this book, and for him did it get very personal to stop the deadly heroin from killing more people than it had already done by then. Then, we have the kid that was killed by a hit-and-run driver that case is also tragic. I was a bit surprised about how much of the story the blurb gives away. As I wrote before did I did not read the blurb before starting the book. I seldom do since they often give away too much information. And, here I was painstakingly trying to keep spoilers to the minimum and the blurb gives away several key factors. Why do I even bother? Anyway, I'm glad that I had not read the blurb before, that made some things more surprising and kept me interested in continuing reading the book.

Close to Home is an upswing from the book before. Not as interesting as the first book in the series, but interesting enough that I will read the next book in the series, especially because the way the book ended...

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
Close to Home is the fifth installment in the Tracy Crosswhite series. While I liked the previous book The Trapped Girl better, Close to Home is still a good addition to the series. Drug trafficking seems to be the “crime du jour” these days, and heroin is the drug at issue in this book. The suspect is an active serviceman at the local Navy base, and the issue of jurisdiction and the handling of the crime as a result was very interesting. There was a twist at the end that I felt might be coming but liked it nonetheless. Dugoni focuses a fair amount on Tracy’s personal life too which I enjoyed. This is a great book for anyone who likes realistic mysteries with a strong protagonist. I am already looking forward to the next book in the series. Thanks to Thomas & Mercer for my copy. All opinions are my own. ( )
  cburnett5 | Nov 26, 2017 |
Love this series! Crosswhite is a great main character, I love her strength and weaknesses. I really loved that Del played a major role in this book and we got to know him better. Good storyline and insight to military workings. Will be interested to see where #6 goes with some of the threads Dugoni left hanging at the end of this one. ( )
  she_climber | Sep 27, 2017 |
I received a free advance e-copy of this book and have chosen to write an honest and unbiased review. I have no personal affiliation with the author. Another great police procedural by one of my all time favorite authors. Two murders and two different investigations are tied together. This is a well-written thriller with good plots and great character development that is full of twists and turns and surprises. The action never quits. I couldn’t put it down. There is a surprise at the end. I really like Del, he is kind and thoughtful. This book is well worth the read and I look forward to reading more about these characters in the future. ( )
  iadam | Sep 13, 2017 |
This is the fifth book in this series, and actually the first one I have read, it sure won’t be the last one, and I sure didn’t feel at all lost reading this one first.
Be ready for one action packed ride, and the hope for justice, and up and personal look at the lives of Seattle’s Police Department, and some Navy.
To be honest this one kept me guess all the way to the end, first I suspected one and then another, and the best part of the story is that it is so real that it could have actually happened.
I loved how everything that takes place seems to wrap around and come together to make the conclusion, and thus the compelling page-turner to find answers.
If you enjoy mystery that thrillers this one will wet your appetite and make you come back for more, all the while hoping that somehow justice will prevail.
I received this book through Net Galley and Publisher Thomas & Mercer, and was not required to give a positive review. ( )
  alekee | Sep 5, 2017 |

"While investigating the hit-and-run death of a young boy, Seattle homicide detective Tracy Crosswhite makes a startling discovery: the suspect is an active-duty serviceman at a local naval base. After a key piece of case evidence goes missing, he is cleared of charges in a military court. But Tracy knows she can't turn her back on this kind of injustice"--Back cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,209,404 books! | Top bar: Always visible