Wishtree by Katherine Applegate

Wishtree (edition 2017)

by Katherine Applegate (Author)

Member:SweetKokoro
Title:Wishtree
Authors:Katherine Applegate (Author)
Info:Feiwel & Friends (2017), Edition: First Edition, 224 pages
Collections:Manga and Graphic Novels I Own (inactive)
Rating:*****

Wishtree by Katherine Applegate

Wish by Barbara O'Connor (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Wishes are central to these heartwarming stories. In Wishtree, an old oak tree named Red collects a town's wishes and helps people embrace differences, while Charlie (Wish) makes daily wishes as she tries to fit in following a move.

If there is one thing I am learning about Katherine Applegate’s writing, is that she knows just how to punch you in the feels.
This book was beautiful from start to finish. The simple story written to explain how ugly the world can be but also how beautiful it is at the same time was breathtaking. Applegate knows how to explain tough situations in a simple, yet heartfelt manner and this makes her work standout. I love how she wrote this from a trees point of view, that’s not something to come across normally and I enjoyed it. Beautiful work! ( )
  SweetKokoro | Aug 13, 2019 |
'Wishtree' is the story of Red, an Oak tree who has served as the Wishtree for her neighborhood for many years. A wishtree is a tradition where people may write a wish on a cloth once a year and hang it on the branches of a tree in the hopes that it will come true.

Red has never actively participated in the granting of a wish before, but she is touched when a young girl, recently moved into the neighborhood, wishes for friendship. Red witnesses how the young girl faces prejudice and indifference on the street and, when threatened with being taken down as a nuisance, Red decides to take action while she can.

This story could easily have been saccharine drivel, but Applegate's writing delivers the sentiment without making it too cloying. At its heart 'Wishtree' is a novel about compassion and acting on our better instincts and refusing to let the bad behavior of some dictate the future for everyone. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Jul 27, 2019 |
Wishtree is a very unusual middle school book in that its characters are not human and the narrator is a tree, a red oak. Humans are only revealed through Red's viewpoint. The story lines are often comical, such as the smell-focused names the skunks give themselves, such as "FreshBakedBread". This is a middle school that focuses on inclusion, kindness and love, rather than dystopian battles. The book itself is a fairly easy read for 8th grade and above. ( )
  JB_Chad | Jul 24, 2019 |
This is the story of a 200 + year old tree who watches a neighborhood grow around her. A community of animals call her home and Bongo, a crow is her best friend. The animals and trees can talk to one another, in fact, if the tree wanted, she could talk to humans, but that is taboo. When a new girl moves in next door, she is shunned. She wears a religious head scarf and stands out from her neighbors. In fact, hate graffiti is written on the tree about she and her family. There is one day a year when people come from all over to tie wishes onto the wish tree. This new girl has one wish. To have a friend. The tree and her community set out to make this happen. This is a lovely book about friendship and diversity. ( )
  BethBE | Jul 15, 2019 |
Written by Katherine Applegate. This story is told from the perspective of a tree. This tree, Red, being over 200 years old, has lots of wisdom to share. Red is a "wishtree" and each May people in the neighborhood hang their wishes to the tree. Red houses a menagerie of neighborhood animals, all diverse yet similar. The neighborhood that Red calls home is also very diverse. When someone carves "leave" into the tree, Red and Bongo (the crow) take action to helps two kids become friends despite their different backgrounds. Although a tree that talks is make believe, this story is about real life dealing with issues such as prejudice, acceptance, friendship and hope. This story is for young readers, age 8 to 12. Katherine Applegate is a Newbery Medal Award winning author for The One and Only Ivan.

Here are some favorite quotes from the book:

"Sometimes things happen that aren't so good. When they occur, I've learned that there's not much you can do except stand tall and reach deep."

“Trees can’t tell jokes. But we can certainly tell stories. And if all you hear is the whisper of leaves, don’t worry. Most trees are introverts at heart.”

“Nature is not always pretty or fair or kind.
But sometimes surprises happen. And Samar, every spring night, reminded me there is beauty in stillness and grace and acceptance.
And that you're never too old to be surprised" -Red”

"I love people dearly, but after two hundred and sixteen rings, I still haven't figured them out." ( )
  LFortier33 | Jul 4, 2019 |

Katherine Applegateprimary authorall editionscalculated
Santoso, CharlesIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Be Different to Trees: The talking oak / To the ancients spoke. / But any tree / Will talk to me. / What truths I know / I garnered so. / But those who want to talk and tell, / And those who will not listeners be, / Will never hear a syllable / From out the lips of any tree. - Mary Carolyn Davies (1924)
It's hard to talk to trees

"A red oak tree and a crow help their human neighbors work out their differences"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,504,565 books! | Top bar: Always visible