The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur…

The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes (1927)

by Arthur Conan Doyle

Series: The Sherlock Holmes Collection (3)

English (27)  Swedish (1)  All languages (28)
The last collection of Sherlock Holmes short stories. Reprinted from the Strand Magazine. The illustrations are great.. fun to read and re read. ( )
  loraineo | Jun 14, 2018 |
Twelve short stories, the last ones published about the famous detective. No particular theme, nothing special - but enjoyable light reading. Nothing too unpleasant or gory! ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
So I have just finished all the Sherlock Holmes stories. What the hell am I supposed to do now? ( )
1 vote | Lukerik | May 17, 2015 |
The Sherlock Holmes cannon is expansive. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote 56 short stories for his detective which have been collected into 5 books. Holmes and Watson also star in four novels including The Hound of the Baskervilles. I have started my exploration of the Holmes stories at the back end.

The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes, first published in book form in 1927, is the final collection of short stories. By this time in his career, Doyle was tired of writing Sherlock Holmes stories. He even killed his detective off in the last story in The Final Problem. No fictional character, however, is ever truly dead.

David Stuart Davies, in the afterword to this book, claims that these stories are the bottom scrapings of the barrel. The stories are not bad, "rather they are disappointing in construction and surprising in their unpleasantness. ... We can see that while some of the stories are weak in plot development they are also fascinating because of the dark and cruel nature of their content" (297).

Despite Davies' write-up, I enjoyed the stories. The darkness in content reflects the ethos of a world at war. It was also interesting to read the voice of Sherlock Holmes in two of these stories. (Typically Doyle wrote in the voice of Watson, Holmes' assistant.) Doyle did well at differentiating his perspective from Watson's in the prose.

If this is the weakest collection of Sherlock Holmes stories, I'm really going to enjoy the strong ones! ( )
  StephenBarkley | May 11, 2015 |
This project was a bit of a slog, but I did have individual stories or elements of stories that I enjoyed all the way up through the final volume. It was interesting to see how they changed -- the stories in the final volume are *so* much more death and age and sickness focused than the earlier ones. Loneliness and solitude as well. From starting out as lively adventures, they take on a certain melancholy cast. ( )
  amydross | Apr 7, 2015 |

Doyle, Arthur ConanAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Robson, W. W.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Contains

Is expanded in

"It can't hurt now," was Mr Sherlock Holmes's comment when, for the tenth time in as many years, I asked his leave to reveal the following narrative.
Then my friend's wiry arms were round me and he was leading me to a chair.
'You're not hurt, Watson? For God's sake, say that you are not hurt?'
It was worth a wound - it was worth many wounds - to know the depth of loyalty and love which lay behind that cold mask. The clear, hard eyes were dimmed for a moment, and the firm lips were shaking. For the one and only time I caught a glimpse of a great heart as well as of a great brain. All my years of humble but single-minded service culminated in that moment of revelation.
'It's nothing, Holmes. It's a mere scratch.'
He had ripped up my trousers with his pocket-knife.
'You are right,' he cried, with an immense sigh of relief. 'it is quite superficial.' His face set like flint as he glared at our prisoner, who was sitting up with a dazed face. 'By the Lord, it is as well for you. If you had killed Watson, you would not have got out of this room alive.'
This work, the 1927 anthology by Doyle called The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes and the more recent volume of the same name from the Educator Classic Library are different; the latter contains A Study in Scarlet, Hound of the Baskervilles, The Adventure of the Speckled Band, A Scandal in Bohemia, and The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle

Holmes aquí brilla más que nunca con sus mordaces maldades para con Watson. Es, en realidad, su víctima predilecta (más que los delincuentes). Pero cuando, en cierta aventura, cree que su amigo el doctor está en peligro mortal, sale a la luz todo su cariño por él.
Tenemos aquí a un malvado que arruina mujeres y que, por ello, recibe un castigo peor que la muerte. También a un pobre tipo que, sin saberlo, duerme en la cama de un leproso. Comprobamos, además, que los vampiros existen aunque no reposen en sarcófagos.
Este libro, por ser el último, es uno de los más ricos y chispeantes.
Shelock: vamos a extrañarte.

Restored to life by popular demand after his last struggle with Professor Moriarty at the Reichenbach Falls, Sherlock Holmes dons his deerstalker again for twelve final adventures. With the affable Dr. Watson at his side, he employs pipe, violin and, of course, his astounding methods of scientific deduction, to solve the unsolvable in mysterious cases, including "The Adventure of the Sussex Vampire", "The Adventure of the Creeping Man" and "The Adventure of the Veiled Lodger".

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:50 -0400)

Classic fiction. Readers will love reading their favourite classics in this new Collins Classics series.

Legacy Library: Arthur Conan Doyle

Arthur Conan Doyle has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's legacy profile.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's author page.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,393,728 books! | Top bar: Always visible