Casebook of Sherlock Holmes by A Conan Doyle

Casebook of Sherlock Holmes (original 1927; edition 1968)

by A Conan Doyle (Author)

Series: Sherlock Holmes (9)

In The Casebook, you can read the final twelve stories that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote about his brilliant detective. They are perhaps the most unusual and the darkest that he penned. Treachery, mutilation and the terrible consequences of infidelity are just some of the themes explored in these stories, along with atmospheric touches of the gothic, involving a bloodsucking vampire, crypts at midnight and strange bones in a furnace.… (more)
Member:RosemaryDemos
Title:Casebook of Sherlock Holmes
Authors:A Conan Doyle (Author)
Info:Classic Press Inc (1968), Edition: 1st, 281 pages

Work Information

The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle (1927)

English (37)  Swedish (1)  Greek (1)  All languages (39)
This last batch of Holmes and Watson adventures, while still fun, also show the wear and tear on their author. He's really reaching in some of these.

That being said, I appreciated the different points of view some of the stories took, including the ones narrated by Holmes himself. I'd completely forgotten Doyle did that.

Even with some of the dopey stories in this one, it still shows why Holmes and Watson have persisted in popularity to this day. ( )
  TobinElliott | Sep 3, 2021 |
Sherlock Holmes creator clearly wanted to stop writing on Sherlock Holmes and it is rather a nice ending to the whole series.
I enjoyed it all the same, especially when Sherlock Holmes himself described the cases. ( )
  Ibrahim_Obalola | Apr 15, 2021 |
With this book I have re-read the entire Sherlock Holmes canon. I loved every minute and will probably do it again several times with whatever amount of time I have left to me.

The complete canon would be a great desert island suggestion.

A tip--get these books with the original illustrations. Makes them even more fun. ( )
  ChrisMcCaffrey | Apr 6, 2021 |
A fine close to the Watson and Holmes mysteries. Well written, but not as original as many of the earlier cases: there was a number of repeated themes and clues and cases. Nonetheless, easy and enjoyable reading.

I was also quite fond of the two cases told from Sherlock Holmes' perspective, as his dry style was a fine diversion. ( )
  TCLinrow | Mar 17, 2021 |

TCLinrow | Mar 17, 2021 |

Doyle, Arthur Conanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Robson, W. W.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Contains

Is expanded in

"It can't hurt now," was Mr Sherlock Holmes's comment when, for the tenth time in as many years, I asked his leave to reveal the following narrative.
Then my friend's wiry arms were round me and he was leading me to a chair.
'You're not hurt, Watson? For God's sake, say that you are not hurt?'
It was worth a wound - it was worth many wounds - to know the depth of loyalty and love which lay behind that cold mask. The clear, hard eyes were dimmed for a moment, and the firm lips were shaking. For the one and only time I caught a glimpse of a great heart as well as of a great brain. All my years of humble but single-minded service culminated in that moment of revelation.
'It's nothing, Holmes. It's a mere scratch.'
He had ripped up my trousers with his pocket-knife.
'You are right,' he cried, with an immense sigh of relief. 'it is quite superficial.' His face set like flint as he glared at our prisoner, who was sitting up with a dazed face. 'By the Lord, it is as well for you. If you had killed Watson, you would not have got out of this room alive.'
This work, the 1927 anthology by Doyle called The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes and the more recent volume of the same name from the Educator Classic Library are different; the latter contains A Study in Scarlet, Hound of the Baskervilles, The Adventure of the Speckled Band, A Scandal in Bohemia, and The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle

Holmes aquí brilla más que nunca con sus mordaces maldades para con Watson. Es, en realidad, su víctima predilecta (más que los delincuentes). Pero cuando, en cierta aventura, cree que su amigo el doctor está en peligro mortal, sale a la luz todo su cariño por él.
Tenemos aquí a un malvado que arruina mujeres y que, por ello, recibe un castigo peor que la muerte. También a un pobre tipo que, sin saberlo, duerme en la cama de un leproso. Comprobamos, además, que los vampiros existen aunque no reposen en sarcófagos.
Este libro, por ser el último, es uno de los más ricos y chispeantes.
Shelock: vamos a extrañarte.

Legacy Library: Arthur Conan Doyle

Arthur Conan Doyle has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's legacy profile.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's author page.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,232,888 books! | Top bar: Always visible