Hazel Wood (The Hazel Wood, 1) by Melissa…

Hazel Wood (The Hazel Wood, 1) (edition 2019)

by Melissa Albert (Author)

Series: The Hazel Wood (1)

When the scary, magical world in her grandmother's book of dark feminist fairy tales becomes real, seventeen-year-old Alice, partnered with Ellery, an obsessed fan of the fairy tales, must enter the world to rescue Alice's kidnapped mother.
Member:MIdNiTe_TrAgEdY
Title:Hazel Wood (The Hazel Wood, 1)
Authors:Melissa Albert (Author)
Info:Flatiron Books (2019), Edition: Reprint, 400 pages

Work Information

The Hazel Wood by Melissa Albert

Uprooted by Naomi Novik (jen.e.moore)
    jen.e.moore: Two stories inspired by fairy tales (in different ways), with fierce female leads and satisfyingly complex takes on fairy tale tropes.
    In the Night Wood by Dale Bailey (Jannes)
    Jannes: Weird houses, reclusive authors and fairy tales coming to life. These books share a lot of themes.

It was okay, I won't read anything else in the series. ( )
  KimZoot | Jan 2, 2022 |
I enjoyed it enough to keep reading, but I wasn't "wowed". The foreshadowing was obtuse which made it a bit predictable, although I didn't guess all the plot twists. ( )
  monnibo | Dec 30, 2021 |
I'm struggling to put into words what I did and didn't like about this book. Through the process of reading it, I did enjoy the characters and unfolding plot. However, upon any type of deeper reflection, that enjoyment starts to fray at the seams. I don't know if it was my expectations going in, or how they changed once I started, or what, but it seemed like the book tried to be many things (fantasy, fairy tale, modern, horror, mystery, adventure, coming-of-age, a tiny bit of romance) and didn't excel at any of them. The touches we get, especially in the horror and fairy tales aspects, were great conceptually, but I feel like my expectations based on what was projected while reading were never really met. (Sure some imagery was gross or creepy, but I never got any chills like I wanted. Coraline--a children's horror book--scared me more.) I adored Finch's character the most, particularly the exploration of a reader who gets to live in their favorite story world. I love that he and Alice part ways and he gets his happy ending. I mean, he's a biracial Jew who's adorable in his fanboy-ness; what's not to like? I also enjoyed the way the author weaved together original, dark fairytales with clear nods to traditional ones, but she managed to make them seem fresh and new. ( )
  hissingpotatoes | Dec 28, 2021 |
I try never to give a book anything less than three stars, however, this book was very hard to read. It was hard to read because I was bored from Chapter 1 to almost half the book, the story moved that slow for my taste. Alice grated at my nerves with her bitch personality. The grandmother's tales were cool and I almost wanted this book to be someone telling the grandma stories. I love Fantasy books but this one came short. The blur promised so much, that now after all those hours spent reading I feel cheated. ( )
  OmayraV | Dec 14, 2021 |
  ChelseaVK | Dec 10, 2021 |

Melissa Albertprimary authorall editionscalculated
Soler, RebeccaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

I went out to the hazel wood because fire was in my head. --W.B. Yeats "The Song of Wandering Aengus"
With love and gratitude to my parents, who never took a book out of my hands.
Althea Prosperpine is raising her daughter on fairy tales.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,972,634 books! | Top bar: Always visible