I Wrote You a Note

by Lizi Boyd

413590,602 (4)None
Simple text follows the path of a wayward note as each animal, Turtle, Duck, Spider, and many more, find it and use it for their own purposes.

This is a story about a little girl who writes a note and turns it into a little sail and puts the note into the river. A frog, duck, spider, bird, squirrel, snail, mouse, rabbit, dragonfly, goat, wind, and eventually her friend found the note. The note said Dear Friend, Do you want to go explore? Meet me by our big rock today at four. Your friend.
There she met all of the animals waiting for her.
  rhod4 | Aug 12, 2018 |
The young narrator of Lizi Boyd's I Wrote You a Note tracks her missive as various creatures, from a turtle to a snail, find and then discard her letter. What she really wants to know, however, is if her friend has received her invitation to play...

I really loved Boyd's artwork here, with its subtle but appealing color palette, and its stylized animal characters. Although not particularly wowed by the narrative, I did find the repetitive structure, in which a series of animals each find the note and attempt to use it in different ways, interesting, and think it might engage younger children. I also liked the engagement with the natural world that is highlighted throughout. I was on the fence with this one, regarding rating, but I upped it to three stars, because I enjoyed the visuals so much, and because I think other readers might make more of the text than I did. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Jun 15, 2017 |

In this deceptively simple storybook from award-winning author-illustrator Lizi Boyd, readers will delight in following a note's unexpected journey and encountering a cast of charming characters along the way.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 197,591,720 books! | Top bar: Always visible