How To Start A Conversation And Make Friends…

How To Start A Conversation And Make Friends (original 1983; edition 2001)

by Don Gabor (Author)

Psychology. Sociology. Nonfiction. Self Help. HTML:For more than twenty-five years, small-talk expert Don Gabor has helped thousands of people communicate with wit, confidence, and enthusiasm with his bestseller How to Start a Conversation and Make Friends. This newly revised and updated edition combines classic techniques in the art of conversation with necessary skills for communicating in the twenty-first century.

By following the simple and dynamic guidelines you’ll be ready to strike up a great conversation anytime, anywhere. Learn how to keep the conversation going by asking the right questions, using body language effectively, and avoiding conversation pitfalls. Combining his tried-and-true methods with a whole new section on communicating online and through social networking, Don Gabor shows you how to:

·   Identify your personal conversation style
·   Engage in online conversations using proper etiquette and security
·   Turn online conversations into face-to-face relationships
·   Boost your personal and professional speaking skills to the next level

How to Start a Conversation and Make Friends is sure to help you connect with others at home, work, and everywhere in between for years to come.
… (more)
Member:gillianvesper
Title:How To Start A Conversation And Make Friends
Authors:Don Gabor (Author)
Info:Touchstone (2001), Edition: Revised and Updated, 208 pages

Work Information

How To Start A Conversation And Make Friends by Don Gabor (1983)

I listened to the audio version and it's pretty much common sense with a little bit of pop psychology (is that the correct term?). It could be helpful for those with social awkwardness (which I do), but honestly - I can't see myself using any of these tips (except the polite and obvious ones). I do know of a couple of people in my life that could possibly benefit from it. 3 stars really, but 4 for the effort. ( )
  ennuiprayer | Jan 14, 2022 |
Feels a bit out of date in places but that's probably inevitable in a practical book on conversation. Overall a great guide to unlearning bad conversational habits and improving conversational skill. ( )
  RandomCitizens | Jan 9, 2021 |
This book had some good insights, but rather simply written and a bit redundant...like a 5th grade text book. ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
A lot of good ideas.NOthing especially powerful but short and handy"Handling the Complainer", :Reveak tiyr Giaks:""Don't ( )
  carterchristian1 | Jul 25, 2015 |
Good conversation is what makes us interesting. After all, we spend a great deal of our time talking and a great deal of our time listening. Why be bored, why be boring—when you don't have to be either? —Edwin Newman (1919-2010), news commentator
It's a luxury to be understood. —Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882), American poet and essayist
Ideal conversation must be an exchange of thought, and not, as many of those who worry most about their shortcomings believe, an eloquent exhibition of wit or oratory. —Emily Post (1872-1960), writer and authority on etiquette
I dedicate this book to my parents, Trude and Fred, and my sister, Ellen. Thank you for giving me the confidence and encouragement to talk to anyone, anyplace, about anything. I also dedicate this book to my wife and the love of my life, Eileen.
The next time you walk into a room full of people, just listen to them talking!
Remember that risk taking and rejection are part of life, and being overly sensitive about how others react to you is counterproductive.
To enter a conversation in progress, you must be withing listening and speaking range. Move close to the people speaking and show interest in what is being said. Use plenty of eye contact, nodding, and smiling to send the signal to the speakers that you want to hear more. Often, when a speaker sees you are interested in what he is saying, he will begin to include you as a listener.
Spontaneously commenting to someone about what you both observe is a way of instantly sharing an experience that can easily lead to more conversation. The trick to extending a brief comment into a chat is to follow it with light, upbeat remarks—not complaints or grim views. Because this method of breaking the ice reveals how you see the world, others will assume that you will see them in a negative way if your comments tend toward the negative. That's why complaining rarely leads to extended conversations. On the other hand, lighthearted comments reveal your sense of humor and make you appear friendly and appealing to talk to.
If you're rejected when reaching out to people, don't automatically assume it's your fault. The other person may have several reasons for not responding the way you want, none of which may have anything to do with you.
The most common reason for forgetting names is failing to focus on the moment of introduction, so you never hear them in the first place.

·   Identify your personal conversation style
·   Engage in online conversations using proper etiquette and security
·   Turn online conversations into face-to-face relationships
·   Boost your personal and professional speaking skills to the next level

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,378,949 books! | Top bar: Always visible