Paradox Bound: A Novel by Peter Clines

Paradox Bound: A Novel

by Peter Clines

Nothing ever changes in Sanders. The town’s still got a video store, for god’s sake. So why doesn’t Eli Teague want to leave? Not that he’d ever admit it, but maybe he’s been waiting—waiting for the traveler to come back. The one who’s roared into his life twice before, pausing just long enough to drop tantalizing clues before disappearing in a cloud of gunfire and a squeal of tires. The one who’s a walking anachronism, with her tricorne hat, flintlock rifle, and steampunked Model-A Ford. The one who’s being pursued by…something. So when the mysterious traveler finally reappears, Eli’s determined that this time, he’s going to get some answers. But his hunt soon yields far more than he bargained for, plunging him headlong into a dizzying world full of competing factions and figures straight out of legend. To make sense of the mystery at its heart, he must embark on a breakneck chase across the country and through two centuries of history­—with nothing less than America’s past, present, and future at stake.… (more)

It has time travel, murders, and faceless villains...what more could you ask for? "There are some great moments in this book. I thought the town of Hourglass was a place I may seriously consider relocating to...as soon as my future self comes back and my past self settles down. "Hourglass is a sort of time travelers resort that you can only go to 3 times in your life because while you are at one bar in the town another you is just down the street at a different bar." With that quote swimming happily in your head...you have a pretty good idea that you will diffidently need to suspend your disbelief to get into this one. ( )
  Carol420 | Sep 6, 2019 |
Paradox Bound is part Back to the Future, part National Treasure, with a little bit of Dan Brown mixed in. It's a fun and imaginative chase through history based on the idea that the American Dream is a physical thing that is missing, and a lot of people are looking for it using time travel while being chased by the government agents charged with protecting the American Dream. This is a book best experienced cold, so I don't want to say much more. ( )
  chrisodva | Jun 16, 2019 |
"Get in the car, Mr. Teague. The road beckons."

Paradox Bound is a fun, timey-wimey adventure novel through American history blended with a road trip. I don't want to say too much about the plot as I think this is one of those books that it's best to go into as blind as possible. I was getting National Treasure and Back to the Future vibes with a hint of The Matrix throughout my reading.

This book has so many great ideas in it. The Faceless men were suitably creepy, though the mask thing was hard to take seriously. The fact that they are gifted with "certainty" in a 300 feet radius was a brilliant way to make them potentially deadly though it wasn't used as much as I thought it would be. I loved the idea of "slick spots" that allow people to slide through history. It's also interesting that these spots are bound to events that have happened in that general location so you can only slide through to certain dates and have to find other slick spots to travel farther forward or back. I've also never seen the American Dream used as an actual thing before, something that can used to influence a nation.

With all those neat ideas Paradox Bound does not acheive the greatness of The Fold or 14, which was too bad. It was a much more lighthearted than I was expecting given my past experience with Clines work. That said, it was highly entertaining and fun. I'm glad I read it. ( )
  Narilka | Jan 18, 2019 |
Not that he’d ever admit it, but maybe he’s been waiting—waiting for the traveler to come back. The one who’s roared into his life twice before, pausing just long enough to drop tantalizing clues before disappearing in a cloud of gunfire and a squeal of tires. The one who’s a walking anachronism, with her tricorne hat, flintlock rifle, and steampunked Model-A Ford. ( )
  cjordan916 | Jun 27, 2018 |
This is an imaginative science-fiction thriller, with plenty of action and suspense, and great amounts of creative science-fiction details to please fans of the genre. Eli Teague lives in a small backwater in Maine where nothing seems to ever change. He has 3 mysterious meetings with a traveler dressed in strange clothing and driving an odd vehicle. And that's just the beginning of his adventures. There are evil entities chasing this driver, and soon he's taken up into the adventure, along for the ride at first, then involved in a way he could never imagine. The science fiction element of this novel is intriguing, and I won't give too much away except to say, as does the blurb on the back, that this is a time-travel thriller. It involves America's past as well as its philosophical grounding (although this is a less compelling element than the "science" around the historical era-hopping). The travelers zoom around various historical periods of American history, and the author brings to life these moments with passable historical detail. As with all good time-travel fiction, there are enjoyable time paradox moments (e.g., Marty McFly's parents name him "Marty" after their son Marty travels back in time and meets them before they marry and have him). The author takes a liberty here when it comes to details and explanations of how the time-travel actually works, and the "logic" of all the various aspects to this world. He fudges these details with a convenient "nobody really knows but this is what we were all told in the game of telephone as one person passes on to another this information throughout the generations." In this way, the author evades the responsibility of having to really flesh out the theories, but it's a forgivable offense because the ride is so much fun. Thank you to the author and publisher for a review copy. ( )
  ChayaLovesToRead | May 10, 2018 |

Clines, Peterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Porter, RayNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Men like women with a past because they hope history will repeat itself.
-Mae West
For my dad, Dennis, who's done so many things that make it into these stories
Eli Teague was eight and a half years old the first time he met Harry Pritchard.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,817,950 books! | Top bar: Always visible