Red Clocks

by Leni Zumas

Abortion is illegal in America, in-vitro fertilization is banned, and the Personhood Amendment grants rights of life, liberty, and property to every embryo. In a small Oregon fishing town Ro, a single high-school teacher, is trying to have a baby on her own. Susan is a frustrated mother of two, trapped in a crumbling marriage. Mattie is the adopted daughter of doting parents and one of Ro's best students, who finds herself pregnant with nowhere to turn. And Gin is the gifted, forest-dwelling herbalist, or "mender," who brings all their fates together when she's arrested and put on trial in a frenzied modern-day witch hunt.… (more)

English (48)  French (1)  All languages (49)
This is one of those books that makes me go "eh." In theory I should like it. The idea is simple (abortion and IVF is illegal)--but this isn't The Handmaid's Tale; life continues otherwise, boring and banal. THe stories of 4 (and snippets from a biography of another) wind together to describe this reality from different angles.

The writing is artfully choppy, a little too stylized, though the individual women's voices remain distinct. The relationships are depicted well. But I never got a sense of real urgency here. Zumas is so focused on how it plays out on a micro level that she willfully ignores the fact that there would be large scale political and social consequences to having a country where we can ratify an amendment banning abortion. We know that girls go to prison, that Mattie's best friend is there; but there's no emotion behind it and no wider impact. ( )
  arosoff | Jul 11, 2021 |
The five stories within the book feel disconnected and disjointed. It's written in a lyrical way but the multiple plots feel choppy. The cover draws you in but it stops there and at times it is difficult to follow the plot. Overall, a disappointing read. ( )
  ChelCreads | Jun 30, 2021 |
Need to think about this one for a bit before I review. ( )
  booksforbrunch | May 5, 2021 |
I mean, this was nearly a 5 star book. Maybe like 4.8 for me. Good pace, engrossing. I throughly enjoyed this book. I wanted more. ( )
  mageestarr | Jan 2, 2021 |
While it does take a bit of time to get into it as it starts off a bit choppy and disjointed it is very satisfying as it all comes together and you figure out the relationships between all the women. ( )
  luzdelsol | Jul 31, 2020 |

Zumas, Leniprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Harms, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"For nothing was simply one thing. The other Lighthouse was true too." --Virginia Woolf
For Luca and Nicholas per sempre
By walking, she told her students, is how you make the road.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,457,863 books! | Top bar: Always visible