A Bone to Pick (An Aurora Teagarden Mystery)…

A Bone to Pick (An Aurora Teagarden Mystery) (edition 2011)

by Charlaine Harris

Series: Aurora Teagarden (2)

Aurora's fortunes change after a deceased acquaintance names her as heir to a rather substantial estate, complete with a skull hidden in the house. Roe concludes that the elderly woman has purposely left her a murder to solve.
Member:jetblack615
Title:A Bone to Pick (An Aurora Teagarden Mystery)
Authors:Charlaine Harris
Info:Berkley Hardcover (2011), Edition: Reprint, Hardcover, 272 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:50 Book Challenge 2012

Work Information

A Bone to Pick by Charlaine Harris

Light fare indeed. ( )
  PattyLee | Dec 14, 2021 |
So, I loved the first book in this series, I even gave it 5 stars. However, I just did not enjoy this one that much. It was still a quick read, but I picked this up after watching almost all of the Hallmark versions of these movies. I was a bit disappointed that the Real Murders Club was still disbanded, as one of my favorite parts of the movies was watching them work together to solve the mystery. But that is not the reason I gave this book two stars, at least, not the only reason. I did enjoy how Roe put together that the skull was in the window seat, but that was really the end of the detective work she did.

That being said, as well as the information I divulge below, if you enjoy the romance with a bit of a mystery thrown in, but not the entire plot being a mystery with a bit of romance thrown in, then this book is for you. Otherwise, don't pick this up.

I don't normally give spoilers in my reviews, but I feel like it is necessary in order to justify why I am giving this book such a low rating. So, you have been warned, spoilers follow. I thought that Roe would be the daring person she was in the movies, trying to solve the mysteries. I understand that books and movies are seldom the same, but the stark difference frustrated me. This book was not a mystery. This book was a romance story that just so happened to have a mysterious element in it. Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy the love story between Roe and the pastor, but I picked this up wanting a murder mystery.

Also, I felt like the ending happened so quickly that I was hit in the face. I understand why Roe called in Arthur, and I thought it was interesting that it was Lynn who answered the phone. However, and I may be remembering this wrong, but the way Lynn gave birth, and Roe was able to help deliver the baby and get the murderer to confess and Lynn didn't even scream, just seemed to me like too easy. ( )
  dame_math_a_lot | Jul 8, 2021 |
I really like this series. These early books were written in the early 90’s, but it’s not obvious except when talking about the phone. I like Roe, the main characters. She’s well written and reminds me a bit of Stephanie Plum. It’s unlikely so many murders would occur in a small town all involving Roe, but one must suspend belief for these little “cozy” mysteries to work. Can’t wait to read the next one. ( )
  purple_pisces22 | Mar 14, 2021 |
3.5 stars

Aurora Teagarden is a librarian and used to attend meetings of the Real Murders club in her town. They disbanded, but she knew (somewhat) the elderly Jane from the club. When Jane dies, Aurora is surprised to learn that Jane has left everything to her (except her cat and a bit of money). Aurora suddenly owns a small house, and has plenty of money. But, she finds an odd item in Jane’s house and isn’t quite sure what to do with or about it...

I quite enjoyed this! I really liked the guy Aurora started dating and I loved that she now has her own house. It’s a short/quick read. ( )
  LibraryCin | Jul 19, 2020 |
I enjoyed this novel more than the first one in the series. Even though a good year, to almost two years had passed since the first novel happened, the author just glossed over the start of a relationship with the Officer Arthur, and then the end of it all, and barely mentions the red-headed, giant-sized author Robin as well. I hated that. But then we find that a good character of the first novel dies, and leaves Roe with so much.... and a heap of trouble, well.. you kinda forgive all this, in order to find out what she will do net. OMG, wait until you find out who's moving across the street!! ugh, what a mess.. but Roe finds her way through it all, and with some aplomb and tact intact. ( )
  stephanie_M | Apr 30, 2020 |

Charlaine Harrisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Desimini,LisaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Muller, AnneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Plummer, ThèréseNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Patrick, Timothy, and Julia
In less than a year, I went to three weddings and one funeral.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,456,606 books! | Top bar: Always visible