dismiss

Thunderhead (2) (Arc of a Scythe) by Neal…

Thunderhead (2) (Arc of a Scythe) (original 2018; edition 2019)

by Neal Shusterman (Author)

Series: Arc of a Scythe (2)

Rowan and Citra take opposite stances on the morality of the Scythedom, putting them at odds, and the Thunderhead is not pleased.
Member:Letora
Title:Thunderhead (2) (Arc of a Scythe)
Authors:Neal Shusterman (Author)
Info:Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (2019), Edition: Reprint, 512 pages
Collections:Fantasy, Young Adult, Your library
Rating:*****
Tags:scythes, death, fantasy

Thunderhead by Neal Shusterman (Author) (2018)

With Rowan hunting corrupt scythes and Citra gaining influence, the scythedom begins to question their future. The Thunderhead is concerned about the scythedom as well, but remains ever impartial to avoid breaking it’s own law. Will the New Order take over and glorify bringing death, or will the Old Guard maintain the humility and sympathy needed to keep death peaceful?

I loved Thunderhead almost as much as Scythe! There were some scenes/characters that I’m still wondering what the point was. However, even from my minimal experience with Neal Shusterman, I presume that these will be explored more in The Toll. I also found it a bit harder to follow due to the numerous points of view, and there were a few plot twists that seemed on the cliche side.

The characters were still pretty great in Thunderhead, although the development was not as drastic as it was in book one. My favorite character by far was Thunderhead itself! I was very excited to hear the ponderings of a sentient computer that didn’t appear to follow the typical all-knowing AI who inevitably corrupts. I found myself rooting for and sympathizing Thunderhead the most. I was also pleased to see how Citra and Rowan were adjusting to their new lives. They both had made life choices I didn’t expect, and added a little more development to their already well-developed characters.

As I mentioned, some of the plot twists were a bit cliche, but they were by no means bad. I gasped, held my breath, exclaimed, and smacked my head more times than I can count while reading this! I totally missed the foreshadowing in certain areas of the story and was completely taken off guard several times throughout the book. The more the evil plot became known, the more horrified I got. It was absolutely diabolical and enjoyed reading every line. Now, when it comes to trilogies, I’m sure you know the second book is one big buildup for the third and final book. Everything falls apart and it falls apart quickly. The story picks up and everything happens so fast, you end up speed-reading through the last few chapters (I have missed character deaths in Harry Potter by doing this). Yes, everything falls apart, but at a reasonable pace. I can’t tell you how great it was to read this part and not have my nose to the page trying to soak it all up at once. It was very well paced while still giving the reader that overwhelming sense of dread. I applaud you, Shusterman!

So I am VERY excited to read The Toll! I have my own theories and questions and I am quite confident that even if they’re not what I expect, they will be a million times better than I predicted. I have been so satisfied with Neal Shusterman that I will definitely be reading more from him when I am finished with Arc of a Scythe. Well done. ( )
  JennaKate89 | Jun 29, 2020 |
Thunderhead-second book in the Arc of a Scythe Series: Even in what seems to be a perfect world, corruption behind the scenes brings detriment to others! Cannot wait for the next book to be released! #yareads #middleschoolela #7thgrade #middleschoolenglish ( )
  lflareads | Jun 27, 2020 |
4.5 stars ( )
  Bryna_Heaton | Jun 19, 2020 |
This review is also featured at Behind the Pages: Thunderhead

Rowan and Citra have different ideas on how to fix the Scythedom. While Rowan prefers to wipe out the scythes who cheat the system, Citra prefers to work from the inside and influence scythes to follow the old ways. But both are earning a name for themselves and have enemies watching their every move. And if either of them lets down their guard, those same enemies won’t hesitate to end them. But the Thunderhead sees everything, even if it cannot interfere in Scythe affairs. But it can certainly use humans to navigate around the system parameters it was given. The only question is, is it too late?

The first book focused on building the world of the Scythes. Having readers learn the political atmosphere that surrounded them. In Thunderhead, readers’ views of the world are expanded by showing the strengths and weaknesses of the Thunderhead system that maintains the world. Instead of reading journals of the Scythes in between chapters, readers are allowed snippets of thoughts from the Thunderhead as it explains its actions based on its programming. And readers are shown that it might just have the capability for emotions. I found it fascinating how the Thunderhead operated and drew conclusions. And all the while there is that hint of humor bubbling beneath the surface.

Without having to lay down the foundations of world-building, the second book in Arc of the Scythe was faster paced. The narrative has expanded to include Scythes from previous novels along with Rowan and Citra. The story also takes a step further into showing the corruption that can occur despite the fact the world remains a near perfect place. The underbelly of human society is exposed. The Unsavories, people who have committed acts that have labeled them as trouble. And one such Unsavory, Greyson Tolliver, may be the only person who can save the Scythes.

As I read the last page of this book, I was speechless. The villainous arc that took place within these pages was disturbing and so anger inducing that I can’t wait to read the next. I need to know if justice will be served and what is going to happen to the characters. Neal Shusterman has effectively hooked me into this world of death and political upheaval. ( )
  Letora | Jun 9, 2020 |
awesome ( )
  hipney | Jun 3, 2020 |

Shusterman, NealAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tremblay, GregNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For January, with love
How fortunate am I among the sentient to know my purpose.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,601,405 books! | Top bar: Always visible