Remedial Rocket Science by Susannah Nix

Remedial Rocket Science

by Susannah Nix

This was a very fluffy read. Wasn't bad, just wasn't for me. It was more young adult/ new adult. ( )
  medicwife | Feb 8, 2019 |
  medicwife | Feb 8, 2019 |
STORY-LINE REMEDIAL ROCKET SCIENCE BY SUSANNAH NIX:

In Remedial Rocket Science, Melody Gage, waiting for a date who did not show, meets Jeremy from Los Angeles. Jeremy's in town for a wedding; they hit it off immediately and have a wonderful one night stand. Exchanging phone numbers, they did not exchange last names. Three years later and after her MIT college graduation, Melody's interviewed and hired by a huge aerospace company. Unfortunately, she finds her one night stand's the son of the CEO. Not only that, but he has a girlfriend, and to top it off, had a girlfriend during their perfect one night stand.

Melody does her best to stay away from emotional entanglements with Jeremy, however, fate has other ideas; throwing them together repeatedly. With one not so nice episode, Melody finds she really did not like the billionaire playboy from three years ago. However, the Jeremy of today's winning her heart. With several funny situations, snips and snarks, you will love reading Remedial Rocket Science. How will this romance between billionaire Jeremy and the poor IT tech, Melody, end? My romance book review of Remedial Rocket Science follows.

CHARACTERS, PLOTTING, DEVELOPMENT:

Nix created a funny romance novel in Remedial Rocket Science. Her characters are well-rounded and the pace perfect for the length of the book. Giving both, Melody and Jeremy, issues they must face and resolve, the reader's glued to the pages. Include the fact Melody becomes friends with his girlfriend, leads to laughter for the reader and concern by Melody.

Nix allowed the romance to grow slowly between Jeremy and Melody as they work through issues and situations. Growing up is hard at times, as we all know. Loner Melody and outgoing social Jeremy, would seem mismatched. However, Nix, did a wonderful job maturing Jeremy and weaving these two together.

In concluding my review of Remedial Rocket Science, I found a solid story with believable characters. I loved the Nix's writing style which includes laughter, as well as, family, revelations of past and present relationships, and sadness. Her character's lives are realistic and well scripted. Nix also included family dynamics in this romance. I found the story flowed well and Nix's scenes transition from scene to scene seamlessly and smoothly.

Get ready to laugh as Nix's novel's filled with laughable moments. As Nix first published book, she's well on her way to success. Also please note: although this book includes sex, as the author stated: it tastefully fades before going into too much detail. For those who like a clean, without any sex at all, book, this may not be your cup of tea. For everyone else, this is a solid romance.

REMEDIAL ROCKET SCIENCE RECOMMENDATION: STARS 4

FINALLY, PLEASE NOTE:

I received this book from Shifted Sheets. I chose to voluntarily review the book/novel with honest romance book reviews. Furthermore, book reviews of any novel are dependent on the book/novel review author’s opinion. Consequently, all book/novel reviews on-line and on my blog, are my opinions. No one influences my voluntary romance book reviews. ( )
  vera_mallard | Aug 20, 2017 |
I really wanted to like this book. The synopsis sounded adorable, the cover is just beautiful, and I'm always in the mood for a quick rom-com.

Unfortunately, several things about this book bothered me.

One: the main character, Melody. While I did like her--she was a sensible main character who made smart decisions and focused on her career--I also thought she was super judgy about certain things. While she didn't say any of these thoughts aloud, reading them made me iffy and overall, just really made me not like or connect with her.

Two: the lack of actual techy stuff. Clearly, this is not somewhere I excel, but considering this was Melody's profession, and considering she was a woman who enjoyed doing what she did and wanted to focus on it, I expected more involvement of, well, the techy stuff.

The romance was okay, I guess. I didn't feel sparks or really ship them together, but I thought Melody and Jeremy were decent enough characters. I liked how they took their time being friends before they both admitted their feelings for each other.

Thing is... it took a long time for that to happen. I liked the buildup, yes, but by the time it actually happened, I'd stopped caring.

Overall, this was a decent book but it wasn't the kind of book I was hoping for. It's a romantic story, sure, but I wouldn't classify it a rom-com--it wasn't funny. 3 stars. ( )
  Mithila-M | Aug 8, 2017 |
When the book began and I learned that the heroine was a college freshman I wasn't sure I would like it. Being far removed from my twenties, I often find that romances featuring leads in their early twenties to be of little appeal. But I stuck with it and I'm glad I did. It reminds me a little of the movie "When Harry Met Sally", two people meet cute, meet again years later, become friends, and then fall in love. Except in this case they sleep together the first night.

The main characters are engaging and fun. I especially liked when she becomes friends with his girlfriend and when the two end their relationship, he complains that his ex got her in the breakup.

A nice, sweet romance. Could have used little more geek to match the title. ( )
  madlibrarian | Aug 8, 2017 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Susannah Nix's book Remedial Rocket Science: A Romantic Comedy was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Susannah Nix is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,340,334 books! | Top bar: Always visible