Beneath the Sugar Sky (Wayward Children) by…

Beneath the Sugar Sky (Wayward Children) (edition 2018)

by Seanan McGuire (Author)

Beneath the Sugar Sky returns to Eleanor West's Home for Wayward Children. At this magical boarding school, children who have experienced fantasy adventures are reintroduced to the "real" world. Sumi died years before her prophesied daughter Rini could be born. Rini was born anyway, and now she's trying to bring her mother back from a world without magic.… (more)
Member:Letora
Title:Beneath the Sugar Sky (Wayward Children)
Authors:Seanan McGuire (Author)
Info:Tor.com (2018), Edition: First Edition, 176 pages
Collections:Fantasy
Rating:*****

Beneath the Sugar Sky by Seanan McGuire

In the world of the Wayward Children, sometimes the most impossible and improbable solution is the one you need. After all, when Rini lands in the turtle pond dressed in frosting, missing two fingers, and demanding to see her dead mother, is there really anything else the children can do? The children must start a new quest, one that will take them through the doors of both logical and nonsense worlds. They are in a race against the clock to resurrect Sumi and save her disappearing daughter.

Beneath the Sugar Sky will let you revisit old friends and learn the backstories of some of the original children. From start to finish, you’ll be engaged in the beautiful world-building Seanan McGuire portrays in each of these novels. And after two books of logical worlds, this new installment of the Wayward Children will show you what a nonsense world is all about.

You’ll visit a world where the sea is made of soda, the sky is filled with candy, and the clothes are made from pastries and chocolate. The trees are filled with cake pops and cookies, and you’ll never gain a pound eating it all. The rules of logic don’t exist, and when the logical children of the school enter a nonsense world, they will have to fight against their instincts and reasoning. If they think too hard about the nonsense, the world will cast them out and all will be lost.

Another fantastic installment in the Wayward Children series. This one was just as creative as the previous two books, and while it wasn’t as dark, the sense of tension and desperate hope was still there. I can’t get enough of this series! ( )
1 vote Letora | Jan 22, 2020 |
The third book in this series is just as good as the last two. Surprisingly you will not be that lost if you haven’t read the previous ones. Anything that has happened in the previous books that you must know is provided but there is never a feeling of an infodump to it. Rini is trying to bring her mother back to the sugar based world to fix things there. The problem with this is Sumi died when she came back to our world and thanks to magic died before her daughter was born in the land of Confection where time is different than here. There is a quest to help her and of course some previously introduced characters show up to help our heroes on their journey. But I have to say the last two lines of the book were the best and I think will stay with me for a long time.

Digital review copy provided by the publisher through NetGalley
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jan 6, 2020 |
Unlike book 2 in the series, this one does need to be read after the first to get the most out of it, as it follows on from the events in that book.
Delightfully imaginative and unpredictable in its journey through a sweet land that can kill or restore. ( )
  AngelaJMaher | Nov 3, 2019 |
Ahhh I have missed being in this world and yet I'm disappointed. I loved the slightly creepy dark feel to the other books, esp Down Among the Sticks and Bones. This one was. . . .fluffier. going by the cover it's kinda obvious it supposed to be that way. That being said the writing is flawless, the story kept me in and I am still waiting impatiently for the next book ( )
  mitsuzanna | Sep 26, 2019 |
4.5 Stars Audiobook. Can't wait for the next one. This was probably the least favrioute of them so far but still a fantastic read. ( )
  CK31 | Sep 22, 2019 |

Seanan McGuireprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cai, RovinaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dockrey, MichelleNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sugar, flour, and cinnamon won't make a house a home, / So bake your walls of gingerbread and sweeten them with bone. / Eggs and milk and whipping cream, butter in the churn, / Bake our queen a castle in the hopes that she'll return. -Children's Clapping Rhyme, Confection
For Midori, whose doorway is waiting
Children have always tumbled down rabbit holes, fallen through mirrors, been swept away by unseasonal floods or carried off by tornadoes.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,389,387 books! | Top bar: Always visible