Basket Case by Carl Hiaasen

Basket Case (original 2002; edition 2003)

by Carl Hiaasen

Member:andrewa121
Title:Basket Case
Authors:Carl Hiaasen
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2003), Mass Market Paperback, 432 pages
Collections:DC, Your library

Basket Case by Carl Hiaasen (2002)

"If you don't own your masters, your masters will own you."
— Prince

I'm only giving Basket Case five stars because, even though its plot, in the beginning, unfolded a bit slower than a Carl Hiaasen plot should, the great author made up for it with an explosion of gut-busting humor and extraordinary writing ... as only he can. Plus, it's a yarn about the music industry, so that's right up my alley.

The plot centers around the death of a world-famous rock star, stagenamed Jimmy Stoma. Stoma, prior to his "accidental" death, had been the front man of an outfit called the Slut Puppies. His wife/widow, also a pop star in her own right, is named Cleo Rio. Enter an obit writer for a Florida newspaper, named Jack, who, after some time, becomes convinced that Cleo Rio is not as innocent as she pretends to be in the matter of her popular hubby's "mysterious" death. While embarking on his own vigilante-style investigation into Stoma's death, Jack is also at odds (emphasis on odds) with his boss at the paper, a overly-priveledged, elitist named Race—whom Jack spitefully refers to as "Master Race". The two men absolutely hate one another...

The plot continues to unfold into one of the most hilarious and cold-blooded novels about the record business on the market today—courtesy of Carl Hiaasen. It starts off a bit slow, but it eventually picks up its pace and carries the reader on a wild and crazy ride all the way to the very end. If you know the work of Hiaasen, then you know what to expect. Greatness. But if you're new to the author's work, bless you. Be prepared to become a lifelong fan. ( )
  CatEllington | May 5, 2017 |
My first Hiaasen won't be my last! I've found an author I can turn to when I want a quick light read. Humorous, intelligent, quirky, with just enough of a mystery plotline to hold the laughs together. All this, and a happy ending too. What more could I ask? ( )
  JudyGibson | Jul 17, 2016 |
A well-written, funny, irreverant look at the life of a "journalist" who is stuck writing obituaries and his investigation into a former rock star's sudden death. Oddly satisfying ending. I'll read more of his work . ( )
  BookConcierge | Feb 15, 2016 |
I really enjoyed the humor in this book. The obit angle was especially amusing. This book was definitely superior to Nature Girl. ( )
  Cricket856 | Jan 25, 2016 |
What can you say about a romantic hero that has a collection of skulls that he can juggle? He chases the bad guys and keeps his love interest safe as he goes along on her wild & dangerous adventures..... ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
For my sisters
Judy and Barb
Regarding the death of James Bradley Stomarti: what first catches my attention is his age.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446695645, Paperback)

Take one dead rock & roll star, his Courtney Love-type widow, the mysterious deaths of his former bandmates, and the lost tracks of a comeback album. Stir in Jack Tagger, a middle-aged investigative reporter obsessed with death since his banishment to the obit desk; a fetching young editor with a yen for our hero; and a boss looking for a reason to fire him. Put them in the hands of a master like Carl Hiaasen, who adds his trademark flourishes (who else would use a frozen lizard as a weapon?) to a creaky plot like this one, and the result is a winner. Florida is full of caper writers with journalistic credentials, and plenty of them have a deft hand with quirky characters, but no one in the genre is better than Hiaasen. --Jane Adams

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:16 -0400)

Once an investigative reporter, middle-aged Jack Tagger now writes obituaries for a South Florida daily. When Jimmy Stoma, the infamous front man of Jimmy and the Slut Puppies, dies in a diving "accident, " Jack uses clues from the singer's own music to solve the mystery.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,086,354 books! | Top bar: Always visible