The Half Brother: A Novel by Lars Saabye…

The Half Brother: A Novel (edition 2005)

by Lars Saabye Christensen (Author)

THE HALF BROTHER is a truly gripping, epic novel, hugely ambitious in scope and utterly compelling, a wonderful mixture of surreal comedy and touching intimacy. In stunning detail and elegant prose it relates the lives of four generations of a far-from-ordinary family. It opens on May 8, 1945, when 20-year-old Vera, hoping to celebrate with her mother and grandmother the end of World War II, is brutally raped by an unknown assailant. From that crime is born a boy named Fred, a misfit who later becomes a boxer. Barnum, Vera's other son born several years later, and Fred form a bizarre but special relationship. 'I should have been your father,' Fred tells Barnum, 'instead of the fool who says he is.' Spanning 50 years, filled with a wonderful galaxy of finely etched characters, and structurally brilliant, THE HALF BROTHER has been both a literary sensation and a bestseller wherever it has been published.… (more)
Member:pqfuller
Title:The Half Brother: A Novel
Authors:Lars Saabye Christensen (Author)
Info:Arcade Publishing (2005), 696 pages
Tags:to-read, norwegian, to-buy

The Half Brother by Lars Saabye Christensen

English (11)  Norwegian (3)  Danish (2)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  All languages (18)
A book is full of sensitivity describing. The story of a boy and his family. The events that occur sometimes sound exaggerated.
The book is well written and full of emotion.
I would shorten it a little because sometimes there is a feeling that the book has made too far with its descriptions, but I sank into it and read it within a few days, so I suppose its o.k. ( )
  Johenlvinson | Jan 13, 2019 |
I had a hard time getting into this book on the first go but I am glad that I went back to it. I liked the historical context(end of WW2) Who was the rapist? I found the end was a bit murky but I found the characters' story made up for that. ( )
  KellyAnns | Jul 22, 2017 |
Manny recommended it.
  Des2 | Mar 31, 2013 |
This novel was an amazing experience. A tragedy-struck family-and-friends saga spanning 1945 to today's mediasphere, told through the eyes and recovered memory (later alcoholically impaired) of a boy who stops growing (and can't grow up). It has the scope of a Gunter Grass novel, but with a backdrop of modernising Norway from the primitive far-Northern fishing villages of the early twentieth century through to today's mediasphere. At 764 pages it's a long haul, but I din't want to stop reading, not once. By turns harrowing, heart-warming and hilarious, it's like a mash-up of Grass, Marquez, and Laxness relocated to the setting of a beautifully rendered, but sometimes brutal, Oslo.It isn't about boxing as the cover might lead you to think; it's a novel about misfits in which no-one fits in, but by the end you love every one of its characters, even Bang the caretaker, the triple-jump champion! And the ending is genius, in a single line transforming everything you have read so you want to go back and read it through again - so DON'T sneak a look at the end before you've read all the way there. ( )
  Mijk | Jan 28, 2012 |
A long story of an unusual family set in post-war Olso and the trials of two half brothers being brought up by three generations of women. This book has all the ingredients I like: interesting characters, a lively tone, numerous themes and connections running through it, evocation of time and place, intellectual depth.

As with all good long books, a sense of sadness at finishing it, having had it in your life for two or more weeks, but with images and feelings that will echo much longer. ( )
1 vote rrmmff2000 | Jul 30, 2011 |
"Many thanks!"
'It's not what you see that matters most, but rather what you think that you see.'
Original title: Halvbroren

Arcade Publishing

2 editions of this book were published by Arcade Publishing.

Editions: 1611452554, 1611457890

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,721,788 books! | Top bar: Always visible