Without Merit: A Novel

by Colleen Hoover

From the #1 New York Times bestselling author of It Ends With Us and November 9 comes a moving and haunting novel of family, love, and the power of the truth. "Not every mistake deserves a consequence. Sometimes the only thing it deserves is forgiveness." The Voss family is anything but normal. They live in a repurposed church, newly baptized Dollar Voss. The once cancer-stricken mother lives in the basement, the father is married to the mother's former nurse, the little half-brother isn't allowed to do or eat anything fun, and the eldest siblings are irritatingly perfect. Then, there's Merit. Merit Voss collects trophies she hasn't earned and secrets her family forces her to keep. While browsing the local antiques shop for her next trophy, she finds Sagan. His wit and unapologetic idealism disarm and spark renewed life into her--until she discovers that he's completely unavailable. Merit retreats deeper into herself, watching her family from the sidelines, when she learns a secret that no trophy in the world can fix. Fed up with the lies, Merit decides to shatter the happy family illusion that she's never been a part of before leaving them behind for good. When her escape plan fails, Merit is forced to deal with the staggering consequences of telling the truth and losing the one boy she loves. Poignant and powerful, Without Merit explores the layers of lies that tie a family together and the power of love and truth.… (more)

The "family" in this book goes beyond dysfunctional since there is apparently no function. Twin sisters Merit and Honor live with their brother, their father, his new wife and their 4-year old son, the new wife's brother, a special friend of Honor who is the object of Merit's interest, and their mother who lives in the basement with occasional post-conjugal visits from her former husband, who lives upstairs with his new wife. Just to add another beyond-odd element, they live in an abandoned church with a marquee in the front. Their brother posts pithy messages on the marquee every day. I soon tired of the unending configurations of who is doing what to whom. The title "Without Merit" is prophetic of this novel since it lacks any redeeming qualities of plot or characters of interest. I'm wondering if I read the same book as those who gave it glowing reviews. ( )
  pdebolt | Dec 9, 2021 |
Colleen Hoover is a must read author for me. Her books are nearly always perfection and even those I have not enjoyed were still wonderful books they were just not right for me. Her stories and characters are painfully real and I always become invested in the outcome. She is truly an author everyone should read at least once. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
I'm not going to bother rating this one because I DNF'd about half-way through. The predatory gay character was the last straw for me. Other than the incest chatter and a bunch of other little things that irked me along the way, that was just the final nail in the coffin.

There was a lot of potential and the element of adding images for Sagan's drawings was nice, but not worth it for me.
  SarahRita | Aug 11, 2021 |
I was smitten with this book from page 1, and two days after finishing it, I'm still swooning. And I miss it! I have my mom reading it now, too, so every time I see it float by with her, I want to grab it and hug it and start rereading. Fortunately, there are so many witty, amazing lines that she's been reading her favorites out loud to me, and they're just as good as they were the first time around.

I'm embarrassed to admit that this is my first Colleen Hoover, but I have plans to start working through her backlog right about ... now. I've never been into books categorized as "Romance," which is perhaps why I haven't read Hoover yet. Maybe I had the wrong idea about romance books, or maybe she's just an exception, but this isn't at all what I imagined for the genre. (Yeah, I'm picturing those steamy books with mostly naked men spread across the cover.) It's about family and mental health and secrets and, yes, there's a love interest, but that doesn't define the book. And it's funny -- so funny.

"Without Merit" sprang to the top of my Favorite Books of 2017 list, snagging a top spot -- probably *the* top spot. 5/5 highly, highly recommend. ( )
  angelahaupt | Jun 15, 2021 |
Wow, this book absolutely wrecked me! Such a great story, just be ready with tissues. ( )
  leslico | Jan 19, 2021 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,147,962 books! | Top bar: Always visible