Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks

The Notebook (original 1996; edition 1998)

by Nicholas Sparks

Series: Calhoun Family (1)

Scenes from the past and a collection of intensely personal letters tell the story of a long married couple now confined to a nursing home.
Member:Teezie
Title:The Notebook
Authors:Nicholas Sparks
Info:Warner Vision, Paperback, 213 pages
Collections:Goodreads
Tags:to-read

Work Information

The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks (1996)

Message in a Bottle by Nicholas Sparks (krizia_lazaro)
    Nights in Rodanthe by Nicholas Sparks (khoov00)
    The Pact by Jodi Picoult (Headinherbooks_27)
    The Best of Me by Nicholas Sparks (Anonymous user)
    Where the River Ends by Charles Martin (CoverLoverBookReview)
    CoverLoverBookReview: Charles Martin's writing style is similar to Nicholas Sparks'. Both display a great love story that stands the tests of hardships and time.
    The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons (pinkkrypto)
    pinkkrypto: An amazing love story. Incredibly touching.
    Waiting For The Rain by mjeanpike (Norabee)
    Norabee: This is a truly beautiful love story that any fan of romance would love, but if you liked elements of The Notebook, you will definitely love this one - highly recommended
    On Golden Pond: A Play by Ernest Thompson (TheLittlePhrase)
    One Summer by David Baldacci (JenniferRobb)

English (279)  German (3)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (289)
Not challenging enough. Embarrassing. Didn't get past first chapter. ( )
  GRLopez | Aug 31, 2021 |
Different than the movie. The movie is good and the book is equally good but they are not equal. ( )
  Seayla2020 | Aug 22, 2021 |
I try to express only my most honest opinion in a spoiler-free way. If you feel anything in my review is a spoiler and is not already hidden in spoiler brackets please let me know. Thank you.

Wow. This book had me in tears by the end. This is the first time I have ever read this book. I kind of knew what to expect though as I had watched the movie already, (who hasn't) but there are a lot of differences between the book and movie. The movie was full of drama and angst, but the book was more of a quiet yet passionate sort of story. Honestly, I love them both.

I'm glad I finished this as night cause I now want to cuddle in close with my husband to feel loved and safe. This book hit home hard for me. I was raised by my grandmother and even called her mom, she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's when I was a child. Died about 10 years later. It was emotional for me, and also reminded me of my greatest fear. There are a lot of diseases I am afraid of, but none more than Alzheimer's. It is truly a terrifying disease.

The love that they have for each other in this book is incredible. I love how they are so sure of each other and to discover more about there lives after the story of how they got together. It sounds like an amazing relationship built on honesty and respect, and not focused on the attraction aspect of it. Although out in the real world I would have said that relationships that begin with cheating are usually destined to fail. I also feel that realistically 14 years is an insane amount of time to not get over someone. But this is why some books are only based on real-life and have lots of fiction in between to make it interesting.

All in all, I'm so glad I choose to give the book a shot. Makes me want to watch the movie again, but then I'm afraid I'll want to read the book again, and on and on the cycle with continue lol. I noticed there is a sequel to this book that follows one of the daughters and her husband it looks like. I'll be putting that on my to-read list as well. 5 amazing stars for a great romance and a truly emotional story.

How I choose my rating:
1* Hated it. I had to force myself to finish it.
2** Didn't like it. I didn't hate it but not sure why I finished it other than for some closure.
3*** I liked it. I had some issues with it, but as a whole it was good. I probably won't reread ever, but there is a chance I might finish the series. (If part of one) But if not it's not a huge loss.
4**** I really liked this book. Maybe not a work of genius, but highly entertaining. I might reread this, and I will finish the series. (If part of one) I would recommend to those I know hold interest in this book's content.
5***** I loved this book. I found little to no issues with it at all. I will be rereading this and probably more than once. I will finish the series and reread it multiple times. (If part of one) I will recommend this book to EVERYONE!!!!
  starslight86 | Jul 20, 2021 |
A wonderful story about the power of love. A story that makes you want to feel this kind of love in your life that Allie and Noah feel. ( )
  foof2you | Jul 5, 2021 |
Movie was better. ( )
  Rachel_Cucinella | Apr 24, 2021 |

Nicholas Sparksprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bostwick, BarryNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nelligan, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated with love to Cathy, my wife and my friend.
Who am I? And how, I wonder, will this story end?
I am nothing special; of this I am sure. I am a common man with common thoughts, and I've led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten, but I've loved another with all my heart and soul, and to me, this has always been enough.
This is the original novel. Do not combine with the film.

Hachette Book Group

4 editions of this book were published by Hachette Book Group.

Editions: 0446605239, 0446520802, 0446676098, 1600242561

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,336,340 books! | Top bar: Always visible