The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks

The Notebook (original 1996; edition 2014)

by Nicholas Sparks (Author)

Series: The Notebook (1)

Scenes from the past and a collection of intensely personal letters tell the story of a long married couple now confined to a nursing home.
Member:AbigailNash
Title:The Notebook
Authors:Nicholas Sparks (Author)
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2014), Edition: Media tie-in, 272 pages

Work Information

The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks (1996)

Message in a Bottle by Nicholas Sparks (krizia_lazaro)
    Nights in Rodanthe by Nicholas Sparks (khoov00)
    The Pact by Jodi Picoult (Headinherbooks_27)
    The Best of Me by Nicholas Sparks (Anonymous user)
    Where the River Ends by Charles Martin (CoverLoverBookReview)
    CoverLoverBookReview: Charles Martin's writing style is similar to Nicholas Sparks'. Both display a great love story that stands the tests of hardships and time.
    The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons (pinkkrypto)
    pinkkrypto: An amazing love story. Incredibly touching.
    Waiting For The Rain by mjeanpike (Norabee)
    Norabee: This is a truly beautiful love story that any fan of romance would love, but if you liked elements of The Notebook, you will definitely love this one - highly recommended
    On Golden Pond: A Play by Ernest Thompson (TheLittlePhrase)
    One Summer by David Baldacci (JenniferRobb)

English (283)  German (3)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (294)
This book made me cry a lot, but it also made me put a smile from ear to ear. It was amazing. I want to, surely, have a love like Allie and Noah's.
It turned hard for me to read this book because, when I read the last letter Noah wrote to Allie, and I was trough a situation that the letter made me remind so much. I was reading that part in public, so I made the impossible not to cry.
I loved this book, I really did.
I said, I say and I will always say: there's nothing like the original. There's nothing like the book. Stories are so much better in the books than in the movies.
So, if anyone wants to see "The Notebook", read it first. You will understand the movie more easily. ( )
  helloitsrafaela | Aug 22, 2022 |
Series Info/Source: This is a stand alone book. I borrowed this as an audiobook from my library.

Thoughts: This was okay. It makes you think a lot about life, love and family. It's also one of those books that is a huge tear jerker and will make you want to cry through most of it. I found it mostly just depressing (I think it's supposed to be uplifting and thought-provoking??).

I enjoyed the first part of the story as we watched Noah and Allie meet, then re-meet and fall in love. I was disappointed at how quickly we turned away from these two characters and their history. I thought we were going to spend more time in the past watching our two main characters live their lives. Instead we spend about half of the book in a nursing home watching our main characters die.

Additionally, I found the writing to be a bit too dramatic and repetitive. There is a ton of talking about love and how it can conquer all (in various ways) and it started to feel very repetitive. Despite the book’s short length there were a lot of times where I just wanted the story to move along. The ending is also very ambiguous which left me feeling a bit empty. Really not sure why this book was so popular. There is some food for thought here, but it's not new territory and the story is pretty short and disjointed.

My Summary (3/5): Overall this was okay. It is somewhat thought-provoking and makes you think about love, life and family. However it was also very depressing, disjointed, and spent a lot of time rehashing how love could conquer all. I wasn’t a huge fan and don’t plan on picking up more Sparks’ novels. ( )
  krau0098 | Feb 16, 2022 |
This is one of those rare finds where the book was just as good as the movie. Usually one or the other is better. But if you've read the book, please see the movie. If you've seen the movie, please read the book. You'll enjoy both. ( )
  AngelaLam | Feb 8, 2022 |
Possibly the first book to ever make me tear up. I normally don't touch genre books, but Nicholas Sparks had this thing about his writing that I fell in love with. Sadly, that thing is either gone, or he just can't write anymore. ( )
  ennuiprayer | Jan 14, 2022 |
Not challenging enough. Embarrassing. Didn't get past first chapter. ( )
  GRLopez | Aug 31, 2021 |

Nicholas Sparksprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bostwick, BarryNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nelligan, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated with love to Cathy, my wife and my friend.
Who am I? And how, I wonder, will this story end?
I am nothing special; of this I am sure. I am a common man with common thoughts, and I've led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten, but I've loved another with all my heart and soul, and to me, this has always been enough.
This is the original novel. Do not combine with the film.

At 31, Noah Calhoun, back in coastal North Carolina after World War II, is haunted by images of the girl he lost more than a decade earlier. At 29, Allie Nelson is about to marry a wealthy lawyer, but she cannot stop thinking about the boy who long ago stole her heart. Thus begins the story of a love so enduring and deep it can turn tragedy into triumph, and may even have the power to create a miracle...

Hachette Book Group

4 editions of this book were published by Hachette Book Group.

Editions: 0446605239, 0446520802, 0446676098, 1600242561

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,093,506 books! | Top bar: Always visible