Mrs. Tim of the Regiment {Omnibus} by D. E.…

Mrs. Tim of the Regiment {Omnibus} (1940)

by D. E. Stevenson

I never think I'd like to go back in time to have lived in another era. That was until I read about Mrs. Tim. What I wouldn't give to be besties with this woman! Mrs. Tim is so modern and lively and droll and fun. This book, in diary form, was hilarious! Lots of clipped sentences, wry observations, and humorous exploits. It's a fast-paced, lively, and well-scrutinized look at one woman's life between the wars. ( )
  libbromus | Oct 6, 2015 |
This is the first volume in the absolutely charming series about the wife of a British Army Major as she follows her husband from posting to posting. In this first volume we meet all the characters who will play important roles in the subsequent books: Major Morley, an aristocratic officer who is clearly taken by our heroine, Hester, Mrs. Loudon, the rather gruff, but loveable Scottish widow who befriends Hester, Hester's children, Bryan & the irrespressible Betty, her ditzy friend, Grace and her faithful servant Annie.

Nothing much happens in the grand scheme of things, but the story is so English (as Americans like to think of the English) and so charming that I just wanted the book to go on & on.In the end, all upsets have been amicably settled and Mr.s Tim is looking forward to being reunited with her husband and going on to her next adventure. ( )
  etxgardener | Aug 2, 2013 |
Made me laugh at times. It was a good book for a lazy vacation in Cape Cod. ( )
  NanaCC | Jan 22, 2013 |
This is such a good book- a real comfort-read. I read it because I loved Miss Buncle's Book and I wanted that same witty and easy story. I agree wholeheartedly with the previously posted reviews and there's not much I could add. The book is a good escape from the complications of modern life. ( )
  drmarymccormack | Mar 10, 2012 |
Mrs Tim's diary is a lovely account of life as an officer's wife in the 1930s. A fictionalised and expanded-upon version of Stevenson's own diaries, it's charming and humorous, and full of wonderful characters. Hester Christie is simultaneously very practical and switched-on, and completely oblivious to some of the undercurrents swirling around her. Her family and friends are (mostly) lovely, and her descriptions of all their (mostly) quiet, domestic adventures are most pleasing to read.

I particularly liked this style of humour:
"'I suppose you'll have no further use for us after Friday,' Guthrie says, looking up from a plate piled with bacon, and running with tomato juice. 'Once that husband of yours is here, we lesser mortals will have to take a back seat.'
I reply primly that Tim and I are old married folk, and completely inured to each other's charms.
'Look at her, mother - she's blushing,' says the dreadful man with a grin.
'I'm not blushing,' I retort indignantly. 'My skin is so fair that when I eat tomatoes they show through.'" (p. 297)

Those who enjoyed Diary of a Provincial Lady, Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day, Stevenson's own Miss Buncle's Book or anything by Barbara Pym should definitely track down a copy of Mrs Tim at the earliest possible moment. I really hope that the remaining Mrs Tim books are reprinted. ( )
  catherinestead | Aug 12, 2011 |
First January

Tim wakes up very peevish after last night's celebrations in Mess (how strange the after effects of enjoyment on the human frame!).
This is the omnibus edition containing Mrs. Tim of the Regiment and Golden Days. It has been published as Mrs. Tim of the Regiment and Mrs. Tim Christie. Do not combine this with the single volume work.

Originally the first in a series of four Mrs. Tim novels, this book tells the story of Hester Christie, the wife of Tim, a military man. While her husband is away, Mrs. Tim is busy with domestic chores, social responsibilities, and parenting. She decides to write diaries of her daily events as a way to get control of her life, and no affair of the head or heart is overlooked. A move to a new regiment in Scotland uproots the Christie family and Mrs. Tim is thrown into a new set of challenges.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,511,129 books! | Top bar: Always visible