A Daring Arrangement by Joanna Shupe

A Daring Arrangement

by Joanna Shupe

495355,973 (4)1

A Daring Arrangement (The Four Hundred) by Joanna Shupe
Ms. Shupe never fails to fascinate.  Her stories are full of contradictions but are a charming display of what it means to be human.  Flawed, real and alluringly sensual, within her stories she speaks of courageous women with hot tempers and enduring dreams and strong men with wicked appeal and emotions that run deep.  A Daring Arrangement seduces with danger and quenches the need for a little romance as well.  Julius and Nora are impetuous, obnoxious and dare I say clueless when it comes to love and life.  They have much to learn about many things, including themselves and the heart is the perfect teacher to show them the way.
  Lashea677 | Feb 16, 2019 |
2.5 stars

The basis for this is a fake engagement, which I can usually get behind but the heroine was in "luv" with another man for over half of story which is what I can't usually get behind. I had a really hard time feeling it between the hero and heroine. The hero felt a little same old, same old and his family relationship with his mother and sister had them feeling like caricature villains. The heroine had some incredible obtuse moments with not understanding how situations could be dangerous to her and why she might not want to fully blacken her reputation.

I really enjoyed the different Knickerbocker time period and the author did a great job describing the over-the-top grandeur. Relationships between characters felt forced or didn't flow well to me but there was something to the author's writing, I just need it to break free from the paint-by-numbers feel. ( )
  WhiskeyintheJar | Feb 14, 2019 |
What a fantastic start to a new series!

This is the first Gilded Age romance I've ever read and I have to say, I wish there were more! Especially if they're this well written. A Daring Arrangement starts off with a bang, making the reader eager to know where this thrilling ride of a novel will take them.

Lady Honora Parker (Nora) has been shipped off to New York by her father after deliberately getting caught in a compromising position with the man she wants to marry - a struggling artist named Robert. But when her plan fails to result in the special license she'd hoped for, another plan must be devised. What better way to encourage her father to fetch her home to England and to Robert, than to form an attachment with the most scandalous man in New York?

Enter Julius Hatcher...

Julius is at first amused by the prospect of escorting Nora around Town. Certainly, she's easy on the eyes, but if there's one thing this bachelor investor will never do, it is marry. But when Nora assures him their "engagement" will never lead to that because she in fact hopes to marry someone else, he considers her proposal more seriously. After all, there could be benefits. Her title will certainly grant him access to places he's otherwise been denied, allowing him the chance to pursue a long-sought vengeance.

The only problem is, that the more these two spend in each other's company, the closer they become and the more difficult it will be to leave emotion out of this daring arrangement.

Spectacularly written with all the glamour and glitz of New York's Gilded Age, this book is one you won't want to miss! ( )
  BarnesSophie | May 12, 2018 |
A trope that usually doesn't bother me—character X falling in love with character Y while supposedly in love with/committed to character Z—really bothered me here. I also didn't understand why Poppy was introduced and played up and then just kind of disappeared. It almost felt like she was set up to be a villainess and then dropped in favor of someone else. And the hero's big vengeance storyline was rather easily and neatly wrapped up at the end in order to get to the HEA. In short, there were a lot of sub-plots that felt half-baked and it just left me underwhelmed. ( )
  BillieBook | Apr 1, 2018 |
WOW
Once again, Shupe delivers a delicious diversion. I adore this historical period, and she creates a fantastic love story within it that just kept me turning those pages. ( )
  cecilywolfe | Jan 4, 2018 |

During the Gilded Age in New York City, an English beauty with a wicked scheme gets foiled by the American scoundrel who's supposed to be helping her.

Joanna Shupe is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,400,293 books! | Top bar: Always visible