Going Dark by Monica McCarty

Going Dark

by Monica McCarty

Series: Lost Platoon (1)

Marine ecologist Annie Henderson joins her new boyfriend on a trip to the Western Isles of Scotland to protest a hazardous offshore drilling venture. When she realizes that she may be swept up in something far more dangerous than she's intended, there is only one man she can turn to ... Because he's gruff and guarded, she can tell Dan Warren has secrets. But she could never imagine how high the stakes are for him to keep his cover, even as he risks everything to protect her ...… (more)

****Full Review****

When Dean's SEAL team mission goes horribly wrong, he and the few survivors are ordered to scatter and go dark. Hiding out in a small Scottish town should be easy to keep his cover but when a damsel in distress crosses his path, all bets are off.
Annie knows it was reckless to travel with her new boyfriend to Scotland but she wants to make a difference in the world and protesting an offshore drilling site will hopefully protect the oceanic ecosystem she's worked to get her PhD in. When red flags start to appear though, she knows she's in trouble.
Annie and Dean have a whole lot of trouble chasing them down but their attraction for one another can't be ignored.

This new series starts off with intensity as we are introduced to SEAL Team Nine and follow along as they are on a dark ops mission in Russia. There is a lot thrown at you as we are introduced to a wide range of characters and military terms; it’s overwhelming and a bit confusing. The prologue sets the reader up thinking they'll be following along with a certain character only to have a switcheroo, it felt a bit odd. The basic concept though, of a SEAL team scattered throughout the world, hiding out, and searching for who betrayed them, is intriguing, mysterious, and will have you desperate to know more. This story arc weaves in and out as this book focuses on the Senior Chief Dean and his damsel in distress Annie.

Annie is introduced as our idealistic, vegetarian, and liberal activist with Dean as our “been around the world twice”, military tough, and conservative leanings hero. With this opposites attract set-up, they naturally had a lot of squabbles. The author did a good job of balancing out the good and bad of both Annie and Dean's ideals, liberal and conservative, but it also had a tendency to make their dialogue and interactions not feel natural and a bit preachy. I, personally, felt their whole liberal vs. conservative back and forth rhetoric somewhat exhausting as everyday life has inundated me with this already. They kind of have an insta-lust connection and because of how full the story is, their emotional connection was lacking for me. There was a scene where Dean talks about his dad but instead of it feeling like a bonding moment with Annie, it felt awkward and as if he was suddenly unloading on her out of nowhere.

There is so much going on in this story, the Lost Platoon story line that brings in a cast of characters that includes an old friend of Dean's named Colt and how he is trying to find out what happened to his friends. It's a bit of a secondary couple as Colt has to contact his ex-wife Kate, who we are led to believe slept with one of his teammates and best friend, with the best friend being the Lt Commander of the Lost Platoon, named Scott. So this side story of betrayed Lost Platoon, three way drama between Colt, Katie, and Scott, is beside Dean and Annie running from eco-terrorists. You can see why Annie and Dean's emotional building blocks got a bit left behind.

Annie was a bit manipulated to be overly naïve to further the damsel in distress and Dean was forced to be led by his hots for the good looking liberal while a bit confusing eco-terrorists plot kept them together. The main couple was overshadowed by the series arc of the Lost Platoon for me, it’s what kept me reading. Colt and Kate have me wildly curious about their story and I'm locked into finding out who betrayed SEAL Team Nine and just who all the survivors were.
  WhiskeyintheJar | Feb 14, 2019 |
In Going Dark, Dan Warren was a gruff dive boat captain whose manners are nothing short of rude. He has no interest in taking some tree huggers out on the sea to protest a drilling rig’s presence. Dan Warren was just trying to keep a low profile, he was following orders. Dan Warren was actually Dean Baylor, the senior chief SEAL team member from the missing and presumed dead SEAL Team Nine. Dean was instructed to go dark, to live off the grid under an assumed identity, until it could be determined who in fact had leaked their mission details that led to many members of the team losing their lives.

Annie Henderson was a marine ecologist of nearly extreme proportions. She lived out her beliefs and made no excuses for her choices. She had a cause and she was going to do everything to save the Ocean and its inhabitants. It was her beliefs that overrode her common sense and brought her around the world to Scotland to protest an offshore drilling venture with a boyfriend she had only been dating for two months. Turns out that Annie’s boyfriend has friends in all the wrong places and had set Annie up for more than she bargained for.

Before the plot, that Annie had found herself embroiled in, had time to play out she managed to enlist Dean’s help. Dean really had little interest in helping Annie, in fact he was all ready to leave her and the other’s behind to deal with their own problems. It was not wise for him to become involved in the situation in anyhow, otherwise he was liable to blow his cover. In the end, he was not able to leave Annie behind because he was too worried about her safety. They fled together and left behind what they considered to be a simple situation for the authorities to deal with.

How wrong they were. Turns out that Annie had gotten herself involved in a plot that was organized by some very powerful people and they determined that she needed to be eliminated. Several times Dean had considered just leaving Annie behind because she was definitely going to blow his cover, but each time he took one look at her pleading eyes, he was swayed. Even though she was a threat to his goals, he could not help the growing attraction he felt for her and he knew he was not alone in that attraction. The million-dollar question though was would he be willing to sacrifice not only his cover but also the covers for all his teammates who were depending on each other’s secrecy?

Going Dark was a high stakes non-stop action story that had many great military and romance elements. I cannot say that I adored Annie’s character, but I think that in an opposites attract romance that her and Dean are paired very well. They couldn’t be more opposite if they tried but they do complement each other in their own weird way. Their attraction and relationship building is believable and a bit steamy. For me this was a fun read that never got boring and I would recommend to readers who like opposites attract romances.

This review is based on a complimentary book I received from NetGalley. It is an honest and voluntary review. The complimentary receipt of it in no way affected my review or rating. ( )
  TheGenreMinx | Aug 29, 2017 |

Monica McCartyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Wiley, ElizabethReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,292,412 books! | Top bar: Always visible