Chaser by Kylie Scott

Chaser

by Kylie Scott

Series: Dive Bar (3)

Chaser proves that fate has a sense of humor. Why does the right thing, happen at the wrong time? That's the irony we call life. Chaser though not always funny is good for a few laughs. Ms. Scott delivers wisdom with a wry sense of humor and a hearty dose of reality. She prides herself on not being too serious, but always being right on time. ( )
  Lashea677 | Feb 16, 2019 |
I love Eric! Ugh so good. The characters have a cross between Melrose Place, and Cheers vibe happening. I really feel like Nell as a secondary character maybe took up too much space, she was mean, and certainly nasty as all get out to Eric. I know there was a complicated history, I get it, but it's harped on a lot. I love Jean, she is my type of chick, she isn't going to let anyone tell her what to do, and she is going to stick to her course.
The characters are very real, easy to relate to as well. The story is written well, and it's easy to follow and delve into these characters. I feel for the position Eric is in, which his attraction to Jean, but there is such a thing as too cautious. The story is told in Eric's POV, so it is only him opinions and feelings we get toe experience, but it's worth it. Have I mentioned I love Eric? ( )
  KGarner | Aug 4, 2018 |
I’ve been playing catch up with Kylie Scott’s Dive Bar series so it was lovely to be able to get ahead of the pack with an eARC of Chaser, the third book. It’s perfectly acceptable to read this book as a standalone, however I defy you not to go back and read the others once you’ve finished Chaser! If you have read the other stories, you will reunite and catch up with the couples of the previous books (and a glimpse of the boys from the Stage Dive series). The story is fun, sexy and sweet. You might think that’s a bit weird given that the hero and narrator of the story is Eric, grumpy bartender and king of the very casual relationship. I know I certainly was!

In the previous books, Eric has been…well, pretty much a tool. He’s sulky and immature with a penchant for getting into strife. I opened the book expecting that Jean would be the one telling the story, but nope – all Eric. It’s an interesting idea and I think it’s quite successful because the reader gets into his head straight away. From the first chapter, we begin to realise that Eric is not the shallow guy the other characters have thought him to be. There’s a certain vulnerability about him and he’s a man contemplating change. A girlfriend and dates rather than booty calls. Then Jean walks into the Dive Bar and Eric is set on her. She’s gorgeous. Then she stands up and he sees that she’s heavily pregnant. The old Eric would have turned away but the new Eric makes friends with Jean. It’s a sweet relationship that is a struggle on Eric’s behalf, given that he wants more. But there’s a baby about to be involved…

That’s not to say that the new Eric is perfect. He slips after the birth of Jean’s daughter, disappearing to take on the best night life of California. But Eric has changed and it’s not as good as it usually is for him. It was sweet and frustrating in equal measures to see Eric try and redeem himself for Jean (not that he needed to) and in the eyes of his friends. One of the characters, Nell, was particularly nasty in this one. She would not give the poor guy a break. I’m quite glad that Nell is loved up and unlikely to be the focus of a future book because she would be a difficult character for me to cheer on! I know she had her own fears and history with Eric to make her not overly sympathetic towards him, but…wow. She took every opportunity to call him out on past grievances!

Overall, I really enjoyed the male first person perspective of this novel. It was refreshing to see a romance from the male point of view and Eric’s uncertainty just made things sweeter. Kylie Scott nails the dialogue as real and funny once again. I’m hoping to return to the Dive Bar for another drink and read (and of course, the cameo from my favourite fictional drummer Mal).

Thank you to Pan Macmillan for the eARC. My review is honest.

http://samstillreading.wordpress.com ( )
  birdsam0610 | Apr 21, 2018 |

Kylie Scottprimary authorall editionscalculated
Damron, WillReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Audio, MacmillanPublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

"Bartender and all round bad boy, Eric Collins, has come to a crossroads. It's time to take life seriously and maybe even attempt to settle down. If only the person he was hoping to settle down with didn't turn out to be pregnant. Starting over in a small town, Jean is determined to turn her wild lifestyle around and be the kind of mother she always wished she'd had. Since local bar owner and all round hottie, Eric, is now determined to steer clear of her pregnant self, it should be easy. When she goes into labor during a snowstorm and her car slides on some ice, however, it's Eric who comes to the rescue. There seems to be a bond between them now, but is it enough? And can Eric give up his manwhore ways to be the man Jean needs"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,437,629 books! | Top bar: Always visible