HomeGroupsTalkExplore

The Lady's Guide to Petticoats and…

The Lady's Guide to Petticoats and Piracy (Montague Siblings) (edition 2018)

by Mackenzi Lee (Author)

Series: Montague Siblings (2)

In this highly anticipated sequel to the New York Times bestselling The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue, Felicity Montague must use all her womanly wits and wiles to achieve her dreams of becoming a doctor--even if she has to scheme her way across Europe to do it. A must-have for fans of Mackenzi Lee's extraordinary and Stonewall Honor-winning novel. A year after an accidentally whirlwind grand tour with her brother Monty, Felicity Montague has returned to England with two goals in mind--avoid the marriage proposal of a lovestruck suitor from Edinburgh and enroll in medical school. However, her intellect and passion will never be enough in the eyes of the administrators, who see men as the sole guardians of science. But then a window of opportunity opens--a doctor she idolizes is marrying an old friend of hers in Germany. Felicity believes if she could meet this man he could change her future, but she has no money of her own to make the trip. Luckily, a mysterious young woman is willing to pay Felicity's way, so long as she's allowed to travel with Felicity disguised as her maid. In spite of her suspicions, Felicity agrees, but once the girl's true motives are revealed, Felicity becomes part of a perilous quest that leads them from the German countryside to the promenades of Zurich to secrets lurking beneath the Atlantic.… (more)
Member:evareads
Title:The Lady's Guide to Petticoats and Piracy (Montague Siblings)
Authors:Mackenzi Lee (Author)
Info:Katherine Tegen Books (2018), 464 pages
Tags:historical, queer, humour

Work Information

The Lady's Guide to Petticoats and Piracy by Mackenzi Lee

A Natural History of Dragons by Marie Brennan (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Scientifically minded young ladies having adventures and fantastical natural history
    Tess of the Road by Rachel Hartman (Heather39)
    Heather39: Both are coming-of-age adventure stories of strong-willed young women with an interest in science/medicine. Also, dragons!

English (54)  Dutch (1)  All languages (55)
Loved this. I liked Felicity’s voice and that there was real girl power in this story. When I thought I knew where Felicity’s story was going once she decided to pursue a position with Platt, I imagined the standard plot of smart, serious girl vs. pretty, flaky girl, and I wasn’t excited at all. What I got was so much better.
I love Mackenzi Lee’s sense of humor, but even more than that, I love that her characters have enough complexity that you can see them grow, you can see the layers peel away as the story progresses.
This one was a page-turner as much as the first was, and I have high hopes of spending time with the Montagues and their friends again. ( )
  Harks | Dec 17, 2022 |
I loved this adventure so much! I love how much research and care was put into these characters and details. It is wonderful to see a good relationship/friendships. ( )
  HeartofGold900 | Dec 3, 2022 |
Note: I accessed a digital review copy of this book through Edelweiss.
  fernandie | Sep 15, 2022 |
This books was a bit better than the first. I found the story and characters more enjoyable. There were some twists I didn't expect, and the plot captured my attention moreso in this novel than the last. ( )
  ViragoReads | Sep 15, 2022 |
This book was nothing like I expected. The new characters that I met are now so precious to me that I would commit arson if anyone even thought of hurting them. I also got more stories from my previous favorites so that was welcomed. I truly liked this book because it was a plot with like a little bit of romance hinted throughout, while the first book was romance with plot. I enjoyed both very much but I loved my baddies in this story. I highly recommend this book. I can't wait to read more of these adventures. ( )
  mythical_library | Jun 14, 2022 |

Mackenzi Leeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Quirk, MoiraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Don't tell me women
are not the stuff of heroes
- Qui Jin
A highly dowered girl was faced by a great venture, a great quest. The life before her was an uncharted sea. She had to find herself, to find her way, to find her work.
- Margaret Todd, MD, The life of Sophia Jex-Blake
For Janell, who would have loved this.
I have just taken an overly large bite of iced bun when Callum slices his finger off.
But one can only spend so long bookless in the company of another human before one feels compelled to make conversation. -- Chapter 10

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,777,743 books! | Top bar: Always visible