Sparkle Boy (2017)

by Lesléa Newman

20820109,904 (4.13)1
"Three-year-old Casey wants what his older sister, Jessie, has--a shimmery skirt, glittery painted nails, and a sparkly bracelet--but Jessie does not approve. After two boys tease Casey about his appearance, Jessie evolves to a place of acceptance and celebration of her gender creative younger brother"--… (more)

This book is about a boy that grows up with a older sister and like it regularly happens, the older sister is the role model for the young boy in the story. The main concept of the story is when the boy decides to also like things that are bedazzled and glittery it comes across as the common misconception of how boys are limited to things of their specific gender. I think that this book is great because it normalizes things for children. ( )
  CarlosY | Feb 15, 2022 |
This story is about a boy that wanted to wear and use whatever his older sister used. Casey's sister started to feel annoyed because she thought he looked silly and weird. when he went to school some kids made fun of him, but his sister defended him from other boys that were telling him that using sparkly things was for girls. I think this book is a good way to show students that is okay for boys to wear/use girly things or vice versa. The story is good to teach acceptance and that roles established by society now are changing to have gender equality. ( )
  Bernardettes | Feb 13, 2022 |
A little boy named Casey enjoys the same shimmery, glittery, sparkly things as his sister, Jessie, does. He wants to wear the same skirts, nail polish, and bracelets as his sister, but Jessie objects, insisting that those things are for girls, not boys. Each objection is rebuffed in turn by their mother, father, and grandmother, each firmly stating that there is no reason a boy can’t enjoy those things as well. The children’s mother takes them to the library, both dressed in shiny skirts with painted nails and sparkly bracelets. It is there when the other children make fun of Casey for wearing “girl” things that Jessie stands up for her brother’s right to wear whatever he wants. This is an adorable picture book with lots of shiny pictures that would surely change the life of at least one student if we read it aloud to every class, and it absolutely would get your school picketed and get you death threats from parents in some school districts. The portrayal of gender roles in this book will undoubtedly offend at least one parent as it is the complete opposite of the conservative Christian standpoint on gender roles in society. That’s without even going into the idea that the book endorses homosexuality (even though the sexuality of a small boy is never once mentioned or even implied), which you will also most likely be accused of promoting in small children, if they don’t outright accuse you of being a pedophile. I would personally steer very clear of this book in a public school setting without a lot of context. ( )
  GIJason82 | Feb 12, 2022 |
It is a story about a little boy who wants to wear skirts and paint his nails and his sister doesn't agree with it. They go to the library and he wears his skirt and nail polish, while there these boys start bullying him so his sister stands up to him. It is a cute story that shows children it is okay to be yourself no matter what. ( )
  SamanthaMehl | Feb 11, 2022 |
I enjoyed reading this book, this was actually my first time hearing about it. I liked the story itself and the message behind it, and I actually ended up choosing it for my read aloud with a group of fourth graders. I think this text can be introduced to those at Elementary level. It is easy to follow along and can relate to our modern world today and discuss gender stereotyping. I think the book has a good balance of text to illustrations; it wasn't overwhelming and the illustrations connected to exactly what was being said.
  ppolanco | Feb 9, 2022 |
For Sparkle Boys everywhere. You make the world bright! -- L.N.
For my little bright boy, Marc -- M.M.
Jessie adored all things shimmery, glittery, and sparkly.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 174,106,779 books! | Top bar: Always visible